Speculation: What happens next year if the wheels fall off again

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
*****Caution******, middle of offseason thread

What changes would be made if we don't get a decent run next year. Say we repeat the season we had this year with the same shellacking in the first round. Does Sutter or Lombardi get the embroidered bag? Do our top tier guys that are ageing (ie Carts) get moved for youth with the plan of a mini rebuild? Or does everyone keep the course and try again the following year with the hope that Kempe or someone steals the show?

We are inching toward Canucks (sedin) territory (although they haven't won ****) where our top guys are ageing and they won't get much in trade value in a few years. I'm guessing a top tier guy gets moved if we **** the bed.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
As long as Kopitar, Quick, and Doughty are around, mini-rebuild is the only alternative. I wouldn't go so far as to say next season is a throw-away year, but there is definitely going to be some transition and lowered expectations. I'm sure DL has had discussions with the owners about it and everyone is on the same page. I don't see any firings unless something unforeseen happens.

Sybil227

Jun 16, 2004
Santa Clarita
With the expansion draft, I think we'll end up shedding some pieces regardless. Which is going to mean we'll have an opportunity to more aggressively pursue additional pieces (We should have more cap available).

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
I am in the camp where the wheels fell off when DS didn't like that things were not picture perfect with McBain, Ehrhoff. And Forbort in the lineup, and then because they made the push to obtain Scuderi and Schenn, they let there egos in the way and would not admit it was not any better. Let alone worse. Every team in the league has situations at different spots in the lineup. Good coaches and managers deal with it, and count on improvement and development from younger players getting sime NHL minutes. Not DS, and perhaps grudgingly DL, but they are behind in this area as well. DL was great to us to the top, but unforeseen loyalty via ridiculous contracts and well documented cap issues as a result, have led this team to its troubles. The troubles in last year's playoffs did not relate to playersvlike Dd. Jq, ak, jc, Tt, etc. it related to thinking at a higher level they could pull the strings and make the team better. Is this an GM sort of illness? DL trades for Sekera and we ate not near the playoffs?? Why? Let it go!! Then, they trade for Schenn (giving up Weal wasn't harmful), but sticking him into a lineup that had already won a bunch of games with McBain, Ehrhoff, and Forbort, and then DS virtually picking up Scuderi at LAX himself and on the Staples center ice a few hours later was ridiculous. I even made the comment back then that it took about two minutes to strip a kid like Forbort after making the team out of training camp of his number 7, but I fully understand the respect afforded veterans!! Offering a kid the chance to pick his number out of training camp if they make the tesm is a time honored tradition in the NHL, so I felt sorry for the kid. But anyway, still later on they bring up a very ready Gravel, and DS was just waiting for one mistake. Mistakes didn't matter to DS when it came to Schenn and Scuderi!! That was the difference!!

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Let's see... the Penguins had quite a gap between 2009 and 2016 to get right back on top of the mountain.

They didn't do something stupid like trade Crosby or Malkin or Letang, they hung onto their core, have gone through quite a few changes in between that time frame including two coaching changes and a change in management. They got younger and faster and plowed through the Rangers, beat a heavily favored Capitals team and a dangerous Lightning team before walking all over the Sharks.

I wouldn't do anything drastic. Lombardi may need to make some tough decisions in the upcoming years, but I don't think this team should throw in the towel quite yet. It's a rocky road, but the wheels aren't falling off. Least not yet.

Model62

Jul 14, 2012
Stay the course. Way too much uncertainty around the expansion draft to do anything else.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
Stay the course. Way too much uncertainty around the expansion draft to do anything else.

This isn't a problem. Kings don't really have 8 players worth protecting. :laugh:

Um... As far as the wheels falling off.... It would be great if the Kings could end up with a high pick, but unfortunately I don't think it's going to get Leafs/Oilers bad next year.

Sutter needs a D he can depend on for his game plan to work. The D next year has Scuderi/Gravel/Forbort, some other random guys... So Sutter isn't going to have the D he needs to be successful. Add to that Brown full time in the top 6. Next year is looking like wait and see how the kids develop and then reassess what they need in a year or 2.

Edit: Now if one of Kopitar/Doughty/Quick gets injured for a significant amount of time this could very possibly turn into a bot 3 team.

Last edited:

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
One thing that hurts, is not having top top top tier talent prospects. Trading the #1s the last 2 years is devastating...especially when lost for 16 game Sekera and 1 season Lucic.

Can only hope that at least 2 of: Kempe, Amadio, Dowd, Gravel, Ladue, Cernak, Clague etc, emerge BEYOND expectations at the NHL level. In defining what I mean 'beyond', Jonathan Quick went beyond what his expectations were. Sure, the Kings can develop players to be effective NHL players, but without top NHL talent, not going to get anywhere in the future. With the cap, you cannot keep signing top talent; you have to draft it.

Last edited:

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
You don't get rid of management. You would have to overhaul aspects of the team, but there are too many important pieces in place. I guarantee you that Lombardi and Sutter are both safe next year no matter what, and our core pieces are virtually unmovable at the moment. Kopitar, Doughty, Quick, Carter, and Muzzin. I would put Toffoli in that list, but you never know if we are going with your doomsday scenario, there maybe a massive shakeup deal out there. In the end, you are going to be moving around mid-tier and lower-tier players and looking for a massive shakeup deal.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Nothing will happen. It's pretty clear that Lombardi is waiting out the expansion draft to make any significant moves.

I expect us to repeat our performance next year, albeit with a worse regular season. 97ish points, first round exit.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
I don't see the wheels falling off this year. We may not have as many points this year as last, but I can see us still making the playoffs as the number 3 seed. None of the other teams in the Pacific drastically got better for us to be concerned.

However, unless there is a major acquisition on defense at the trade deadline or Gravel or the other scrubs we signed somehow play beyond our expectations, I don't see us being Stanley Cup contenders this year, which is fine. I can definitely see us being contenders again in the next two years because that will give us time to somehow unload Brown (if Vegas takes him) or acquire a Top 4 defenseman.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
The Vegas team lurking has most NHL teams already prepared for next season. Build your team to not be hurt by the expansion draft first, to win second. After the draft the Kings could look very different and be in position to again fill the #1 LW spot with a big deal if Brown or Gaborik are chosen (assuming Brown is still on the team at that point). Like most others have and will state-the core is still there, worried about this season without Lucic clearing that space and Purcell and Brown trying to eat up those minutes and produce like they haven't lately.

Kings4thecup

Aug 16, 2010
Sacramento, CA
Don't see how they can do much besides stay the course. Their core is still solid (specially in your scenario they get 102 points), their anchor contracts are hard to move, and the expansion draft is next summer.

They need to keep their draft picks, and continue the same course. Maybe DL steps down or moves up, and Futa moves up.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Not too much can be done.

The Core has long and expensive contracts, the core is too good for (tanking).

Playoff team, that will role the dice come playoff time. Just like the other playoff teams.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Not sure we can predict how management would respond to the wheels falling off without seeing what caused it to happen.

triplcrown

Jul 23, 2006
SF Valley, SoCal
If that does happen this season, then IMO, they should keep DL,
but replace Sutter with Mike Stothers (assuming Stother's success at Ontario continues).

Stothers is The Kings' Man Of The Future.
:nod:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad