What happens if there's no Canadian Junior and AHL Hockey?

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I don't see how these leagues operate without fans in the stands.
Forgetting the financial repercussions, what happens to our prospects if there's no AHL and Canadian junior hockey offered next season?

Does Seider get called up to the Wings? Does he go back to Germany for a year?
Does the NHL expand rosters and allow pros to be part of the roster and practice with the team?
Do the junior kids go play in Europe?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Good question, I have no freaking clue.

It's too bad the CHL leagues charge an arm and leg for their streaming services, while providing pretty poor quality streams. Otherwise a decent amount of people might opt for that to give them some better revenue streams.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I don't see how these leagues operate without fans in the stands.
Forgetting the financial repercussions, what happens to our prospects if there's no AHL and Canadian junior hockey offered next season?

Does Seider get called up to the Wings? Does he go back to Germany for a year?
Does the NHL expand rosters and allow pros to be part of the roster and practice with the team?
Do the junior kids go play in Europe?

Expanding the rosters would make the most sense, but the players aren't going to be happy if it negatively impacts escrow.

I think a bunch of young hockey players are going to lose a chunk of development time, and some teams are going to get shuttered.

Reactions: MBH

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Quite sure Canadian hockey will be played. It's too big National thing for them not to be played. Also quite good corona-situation in Canada.

AHL is most problematic. I think our pnly problem is to find other places for kids who played in AHL and were still projected to play another year in AHL.

Some could be promoted to NHL, some sent to Europe. Some junior who was gonna step up from juniors to AHL, could stay extra year in juniors as overager. If European RFAs like Svechnikov have options in their home countries, that's definitely one good option to find a temporary place to play one season.

Players who have multiple options should use those other options, and guys who have limited options could be around in NHL team as rotation/fringe players.

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

It's too bad the CHL leagues charge an arm and leg for their streaming services, while providing pretty poor quality streams. Otherwise a decent amount of people might opt for that to give them some better revenue streams.

Would be a "god's blessing" that if they have to play without audience, it will really push them to get better streams and video quality. Like, it was pretty much time.

Reactions: Frk It

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008

I believe the CHL are switching partners to bring higher quality to more people. Hopefully they can achieve some kind of economy of scale and make it a good value. Doubt they had the motivation for that before and realistically there probably wasn't a whole lot of demand with local TV carrying games on basic cable. Now it might be essential to getting a season in. However, Flint, Erie, and Saginaw might be in the blue Jay's boat.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I saw this morning browsing Reddit that Zadina is intending to sign a deal with a Czech Extraliga team (according to a Czech source). The OP on that post suggests that Zadina, the Wings, and the Czech team are all happy with the deal, but need to sort out the insurance side of things. This all is in place until the NHL season kicks off.

I expect that might be a real option for drafted prospects with international ties that aren't fringe NHL ready. Obviously Zadina would return to Detroit when it was time, but for a juniors level or a AHL level prospect, international makes the most sense if their team can arrange it.

As for Detroit...I would hope for the expanded rosters and bring up and fringe NHL ready players. Rasmussen, Svechnikov (think he has to be up as it is), Veleno, Smith, Cholowski, McIsaac, plus if we draft a CHL product, have Perfetti/Drysdale up. For some of the more raw players, even being around the team, training hard, practicing would be better than a cancelled season. But for the more ready kids, in Detroit...let them play. We are already going to be a lottery team, the importance is building for the future, not allowing Abdelkader to "earn his check" by skating and not producing anything. Let the kids develop up a level.

If NCAA gets cancelled, I would try to turn Mastrosimone pro to practice and train in Detroit. I would try to turn Tuomisto pro in Liiga.

Reactions: Red Stanley

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I saw this morning browsing Reddit that Zadina is intending to sign a deal with a Czech Extraliga team (according to a Czech source). The OP on that post suggests that Zadina, the Wings, and the Czech team are all happy with the deal, but need to sort out the insurance side of things. This all is in place until the NHL season kicks off.

Interesting. This next season is starting to feel like a lockout season. Players visit half-seasons at Europe, then back.

I would try to turn Tuomisto pro in Liiga.

That would be a tough decision. He will want that education and was quite serious to stay out of pro leagues. Go to Canadian juniors? Not optimal, but still the highest junior level.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Interesting. This next season is starting to feel like a lockout season. Players visit half-seasons at Europe, then back.

That would be a tough decision. He will want that education and was quite serious to stay out of pro leagues. Go to Canadian juniors? Not optimal, but still the highest junior level.

I guess the thought process is if there is no junior, no college, and no AHL in America, he really doesn’t have that choice. His hockey career really can’t afford to stagnate; he should be able to attend school part time later on if he is that motivated.

It is a delicate balance.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010

this was my experience too the online product was not there to make it worth it :(

I could see a lot of players try to fit into overseas clubs.

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
Quite sure Canadian hockey will be played. It's too big National thing for them not to be played. Also quite good corona-situation in Canada.
That depends how things go.

OHL depends heavily on ticket gates for revenue. If fans aren't allowed it could be an issue running. Doubt the owners wanna bleed themselves dry.

There are also a handful of US teams in the CHL.

Flint/Saginaw in OHL

Everett/Portland/Seattle/Tri-City/Spokane in WHL

Might be missing one.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI

Can't go to CHL. Would be considered a pro at that point and ineligible for the NCAA.

Reactions: Darkseider

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I think we will see CHL hockey, but I don't think it will be business as usual. My guess is that they would take a couple of steps to reduce the burden and expense of travel on these clubs if we don't see any fans. Specifically I am thinking about fewer games being played over a similar-length schedule (i.e a different practice-to-game ratio) and an unbalanced schedule that sees concentrated scheduling against teams who are similarly situated geographically. I could also see the NHL subsidizing this to some degree. I think a 40 game CHL schedule looks better than no CHL hockey and there is a lot to be gained still from a full season of a competitive practice environment.

Reactions: Henkka

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
The way it looks right now the CHL will not start on time if at all. I can tell you right now that the CDN government is not going to allow cross border travel for the US teams. The Toronto Blue Jays will be playing in Pittsburgh because of this. Until the US gets the virus under control do not expect junior hockey to start. TSN already did a story on this as well saying the CHL cannot play without full capacity of fans.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
AHL announced they are starting the 2020-2021 season on December 4th.

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
There are also a handful of US teams in the CHL.

Flint/Saginaw in OHL

Everett/Portland/Seattle/Tri-City/Spokane in WHL

Might be missing one.

The one you forgot has probably been the most successful of late, Erie Otters

Reactions: Mlotek

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
The one you forgot has probably been the most successful of late, Erie Otters
Not exactly lately. From 2013 to 2017 they were a powerhouse.

Who can guess the most successful player in Otters history?

That's right. Patrick Dovigi. Net worth 1.08 billion.

Reactions: Sparty

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Not sure if this bodes well for the AHL or not, or if there is any impact on that.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

Not sure if this bodes well for the AHL or not, or if there is any impact on that.

And on the same general topic, Vegas’ owner suggested that the NHL regular season likely doesn’t start until February and we could see as few as 40 games.

And we all know how that turns out. We win a little more than expected, and Bettman comes charging in with some bullshit that he’s going to throw out the lottery in the shortened season and go with a reverse of standings draft order, and we are held out of the lottery slots again.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
we are held out of the lottery slots again.
Just follow that NHL motto:

screwed-1.gif

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario

This is surprising. Good for the ECHL to step up with a plan. Could be a lot talent flocking to that league this year with all of the AHL/CHL uncertainty .

Ontario government is saying there will be no body contact in the OHL if they play this year.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad