What happens if the Rangers buy out Jagr?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShippinItDaily

Apr 28, 2004
Saskatoon
Ok I know this isnt going to happen, its only hypothetical. BUT .... what if a team decides to buy out a player that is only responsible for half his contract. Could the Rangers somehow buyout their portion of Jagrs contract and still leave the caps on the hook for their share when he becomes a UFA.

Would the Caps be free of their portion of Jagrs contract if the Rangers buy him out?

Would the Rangers be allowed to buy him out?

Just wondering what the rules would be for a situation like this. Im very curious! :dunno:

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
my guess if the caps were offered to buy out the remaining part of Jagr's contract they would

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I think the Rangers would be responsible for the entire buyout amount since they hold the player's rights. So, it's not gonna happen.

grego

Jan 12, 2005
Saskatchewan
I would think that Washington would accept the chance to pay out Jagrs contract. It would be a hit to take for the team all at once. But a chance to end up paying only 1/3 of his contract instead of 1/2. Assuming that the buyout is 2/3 so a half of that is their share.

If I owned the Caps I would be willing to pay 1/3 of the salary to save some money.

HSHS

Losing is a disease
Apr 5, 2005
Redondo Beach, Ca
If they buyout his contract then they solidify themselves as idiots of the NHL... why you'd buy out a player of his skill to save about 3-4M dollars over the next few years is beyond me.

As far as the Caps go... it all depends on the wording of the agreement of which we do not know.

MojoJojo

Jan 31, 2003
Philadelphia
Visit site
Why would they buy him out? Jagr at 4.2 mil is excellent value, even in cap world. Jagr on an off year is a point per game player, if he ever regains his form (and he has been dominating Europe), he can easily be the league scoring leader again.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Buffaloed said:
I think the Rangers would be responsible for the entire buyout amount since they hold the player's rights. So, it's not gonna happen.

That depends on what kind of deal was made. I know that if there was a season last year the Flyers were going to excercise a buyout of Sean Burke, and Phoenix was on the hook for half the buyout amount, just like they would have paid half the 04-05 salary if the Flyers chose to keep him.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Buffaloed said:

Why?If both teams agreed to share the cost of the salary,why would the Capitals get a break in the buyout?

Reportedly,there is a side agreement between the Rangers and Capitals concerning a buyout.It was reported by Larry Brooks(yes Brooks)a couple of days after the trade was made.If the Rangers decided to exercise a Jagr buyout after the 2005-06 season,the Capitals would pay a portion of the buyout

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
hypothetically, i'm sure the caps would prefer to buy out jagr as it would be cheaper for them.

but why would the rangers ? jagr is one of the top players in the game, and even though he'll take up 20% of their cap, he still only costs them $ 4-5 million/year in actual dollars.

at 33, there's alot of hockey left in him, and if the league does open up offensively, he will most likely regain his stature as the league's marquee talent.

i personally think a lot of teams missed the boat in '03-'04 when they could've acquired jagr at the salary the rangers are only required to pay him.

ShippinItDaily

Apr 28, 2004
Saskatoon
MojoJojo said:
Why would they buy him out? Jagr at 4.2 mil is excellent value, even in cap world. Jagr on an off year is a point per game player, if he ever regains his form (and he has been dominating Europe), he can easily be the league scoring leader again.

Ok i know all of this and I wouldnt buy him out if I was the Rangers either. I was just interested to see how a buyout would be split in a similar situation.

ShippinItDaily

Apr 28, 2004
Saskatoon
John Flyers Fan said:
That depends on what kind of deal was made. I know that if there was a season last year the Flyers were going to excercise a buyout of Sean Burke, and Phoenix was on the hook for half the buyout amount, just like they would have paid half the 04-05 salary if the Flyers chose to keep him.

So basically Phoenix would have no say in the buyout and would be forced to pay whatever portion of Burke's salary they owed?

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
the caps are responsible for their portion of the contract, but if the rangers wanted to buy him out and the caps had the option of paying him 2/3 what they owe over the same $$ of years with no hit against the cap, why would they refuse?? it isn't like a buyout has to be a lump sum up front.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->