What happens if no euro 'out clauses'

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyrmessier011

Feb 9, 2005
Charlotte/NYC
What do you think the leagues status will be by October 1 if european hockey teams refuse to include "out clauses" in a players contract. I have been hearing of late they the leagues are planning on doing this. What do you think happens to the CBA process if these Euro teams follow through with this plan?

I think that the first 3 all have an eqaul shot of happening. It's very hard to call which will happen, but I have a good feeling about a deal by October.

Last edited:

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Sick feeling in my gut tells me that this is all prefabricated fluff by the NHLPA to gain some leverage... same as that buying the NHL deal.

I mean... it was unrealistic that the season got cancelled (though then again everyone speculated it would be long before so the wow factor was lost) but come on.... someone buying the NHL... players signing no out clauses and playing for more money overseas.

I say a few players do... realize they're getting screwed and come back to a game that's far surpassed their skill

Russian Fan

Feb 27, 2003
Visit site
futurcorerock said:
Sick feeling in my gut tells me that this is all prefabricated fluff by the NHLPA to gain some leverage... same as that buying the NHL deal.

I mean... it was unrealistic that the season got cancelled (though then again everyone speculated it would be long before so the wow factor was lost) but come on.... someone buying the NHL... players signing no out clauses and playing for more money overseas.

I say a few players do... realize they're getting screwed and come back to a game that's far surpassed their skill

I just find it funny that everytime there's something in the favor of the players, you post that it's fabricated.

Not because you don't like it that it's a lie.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
futurcorerock said:

Funny I belive that would give some leverege to the league.... :) Allot of players are playing for less then peanuts(even some are loosing money on playing in for example sweden due to taxes). These guys would never sign a contract without a out clasue.

I haven't heard any rumors about it but I would be really suprised if the league didn't remove the outclasules... The odds of the NHL missing two straight years are allot less. If there would have been a new CBA this febuary we would have seen in Sweden teams in the playoffs with only 12-15 skaters.

SENSible1*

The leverage provided by European teams refusing out clauses is in favour of the NHL.

Why would a player sign on for 25% of his salary to play in Europe when he can make more for half a season in the NHL and get all the perks of playing in the first-class NHL?

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Russian Fan said:
I just find it funny that everytime there's something in the favor of the players, you post that it's fabricated.

Not because you don't like it that it's a lie.
Must be just as funny that I also scoffed at the NHL's buyout proposal. Do you just have anti-NHLPA radar on when skimming posts?

My case for leverage is that the NHLPA can mimic a sense of urgency in that.... "Look, i've got 300 players in europe. We want to play in north america... but if our deal isnt right, they'll be forced to opt in to a no out-clause contract. "

The Maltais Falcon

Jan 9, 2005
Atlanta, GA
As I posted in another thread, out clauses with Euro teams are really a non-issue. An NHL player won't think twice about bailing out on a Euro contract if it means he can make more money back home, even if there's no out clause. Dany Heatley and Jaromir Jagr both ditched their Euro clubs midseason for Russian teams even though they only had out clauses for NHL contracts.

Players will sign deals without out clauses and they will not honor them because they know it won't be worth the Euro teams' time and energy to try to enforce them.

ti-vite

Jul 27, 2004
The Maltais Falcon said:
As I posted in another thread, out clauses with Euro teams are really a non-issue. An NHL player won't think twice about bailing out on a Euro contract if it means he can make more money back home, even if there's no out clause. Dany Heatley and Jaromir Jagr both ditched their Euro clubs midseason for Russian teams even though they only had out clauses for NHL contracts.

Players will sign deals without out clauses and they will not honor them because they know it won't be worth the Euro teams' time and energy to try to enforce them.

Bingo. :handclap:

eye

Feb 17, 2003
around the 49th para
Visit site
The Maltais Falcon said:

Nice try. Players will need a release from the IIHF to get back to North America and they won't issue a release if the player fails to honor their contract.

eye

Feb 17, 2003
around the 49th para
Visit site
There will be a draft this summer with or without a CBA. I don't think you need a CBA to hold the draft but you do need a CBA to sign them after the draft which will be included in the language of the next CBA.

SENSible1*

eye said:
There will be a draft this summer with or without a CBA. I don't think you need a CBA to hold the draft but you do need a CBA to sign them after the draft which will be included in the language of the next CBA.

The NHL's position has been quite clear. No draft until a CBA is in place.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Thunderstruck said:
The NHL's position has been quite clear. No draft until a CBA is in place.

Bill Daly has said it several times as has Gary Bettman. No draft until there is a new cba.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad