What happened to Zemgus Girgensons?

ek93

Dec 28, 2014
New York
He's great on Eichel's wing. Too bad our idiot coach is the only one who doesn't notice.

crazyliver

Jul 30, 2015
No. 18 by NHL’s Central Scouting, No. 24 ISS, No. 19 Red Line Report, No. 15 McKeen’s Hockey

Found his scouting listings.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Essentially another version of Marko Dano. Hot start ... then nothing.

Yep -- and Dano with another top hockey name. Maybe it's time for scouts and analytic staff alike to start paying more attention to these player-name intangibles? Gotta sweat the details if u want to succeed.

Kale Hulls

May 15, 2013
i remember when after the draft analysts were saying Buffalo killed it by getting Grigorenko and Zemgus in the 1st round.

Nothing gets me more upset than this kind of generic, vague, and now that some time has passed, wrong kind of analysis that happens within the hour of last draft pick or sometimes even sooner.

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
Nothing gets me more upset than this kind of generic, vague, and now that some time has passed, wrong kind of analysis that happens within the hour of last draft pick or sometimes even sooner.
What I hate the most is these "safe" picks like Girgensons where you know a player will probably be an NHL player, albeit surely a bottom 6 one. Phillip Danault was that type of pick as well but ended up panning out. It's just so easy to find bottom 6 players via trade or signing, why would you draft one in the first round?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Dan Bylsma broke him. Housley has been continuing the trend. At this point the guy has 0 confidence.

Signs of life in the last few games, doing the sort of things he can do to win. He ate the dasher to make a play on the Rodrigues goal in St. Louis, then went to the net for the screen. He did the same thing on the Okposo goal last night. Just getting him going up and down the wing in a straight line with well-defined expectations seems to make him click.

Reactions: Aladyyn

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Played for Dubuque in the USHL.

Maybe he would have benefited from a few seasons in the NCCA instead of jumping straight to the AHL à la Nylander.

Regier mishandled the situation too -- Kelowna held Girgensons WHL rights and he had committed to Vermont. There was a break between Gus and the Kelowna coach at the time due to some comments about where he was going to play. Regier, rather than work to either patch things up in Kelowna or get his player to another organization in the 'dub decided to sign him and put him in the AHL. Who knows if it stunted his offensive development any, I lean toward the school of thought that it did.

He then benefited from being one of the few able-bodied players in the Rolston-Nolan years and has since slipped further down the lineup. As a mid-6 winger, he's got some potential, but he's not a top line guy unless functioning as a glue player in the puck-retrieval/defensive hound for more offensively minded guys.

Reactions: Aladyyn

Thorton02

Feb 6, 2009
i remember when after the draft analysts were saying Buffalo killed it by getting Grigorenko and Zemgus in the 1st round.
Without the benefit of hindsight, they were both great picks considering where they were taken.

As far as Grigs, his game is very immature and would have benefited from a year or two in the AHL. Add to it that he played his first year under Ted Nolan who didn't preach fundamentals at all, just effort.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Trade him to LVK and he'll be in the top 20 in scoring in no time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad