What happened to the big hits?

Wildbeliefs

Oct 30, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Is it just me or does it seem like the Habs D don't hit anymore? Subban used to go for those big back hits of his and Emelin arguably played his best when he was crushing people left and right.

Do you think they've stopped doing that because it was deemed too risky? Too bad... it was fun to watch.

Analyzer*

Well, it looks like Montreal's d were told to back in and let the other team gain the blue line easily, so that's probably why the big hits are gone. You stand them up at your blue line, not 15 ft from your net.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Petry, Subban and Emelin all threw quite a few hits in the playoffs.. Pateryn threw his weight around in the regular season.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
With Subban the big hits were great to watch but a lot of times he'd put himself out of position throwing them. He picks his spots better than he used to. I miss the crunching hits he used to throw but he's probably better not making them.

Malreg

May 12, 2011
Players learned quickly to keep their head up on PK's side. It's been a while since he's been able to land a big back-hit. The players see him coming now and just stop and get rid of the puck.

I think big-hits in general are much less frequent for every team.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Is it just me or does it seem like the Habs D don't hit anymore? Subban used to go for those big back hits of his and Emelin arguably played his best when he was crushing people left and right.

Do you think they've stopped doing that because it was deemed too risky? Too bad... it was fun to watch.
Rock'em Sock'em baby.....but seriously, we don't have bruisers up front...this will have to change. On D...Emelin, Subban, Pateryn, Tinordi, Lernout, Didier are all guys with the potential to hit, let's hope that mentality comes back!

The Nightman

Plateaued User
Aug 13, 2006
More HITZ!

lol.gif

In all seriousness, there must have been something said to Subban and more so to Emelin that they should lay off on the big hits a little.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
JJD happenned. Neutered most of the defense corps as far as bone crunching hit are concerned.

puckeater

Dec 3, 2005
But look at how low the count for lost man games to injury. Was nice to have mostly everyone available through the season. Helps to win games. Big hits or wins? Mmmmmm

Nynja*

If u miss da hit u r out of position. We are a risk free grinding team, u dont make da hit!!

lou4gehrig

Bedard 2023
Aug 2, 2005
MT is the type of coach who requires his players to play exactly like he wants, instead of a molding the team to cater to the strengths or players while guarding against their weaknesses. So everybody seems like they are playing semi-scared all the time and not to their full personality. It's really a shame. Hopefully we get a Babcock or other legit coach who won't spend his time playing mind games with the players. PK had his best season this year, which I credit to his continued growth as a player and not the structure he's playing in.

dkd

May 4, 2012
Canada
DA SYSTEM is what happened. No more triple low five, no more odd man rushes, no more hits.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Nobody goes for the big hits because the refs call a penalty every time now. Just look at Kronwall's hit in the playoffs this year. No way that warranted a suspension, especially not in the playoffs.

You literally touch a guy and get called in today's NHL. I miss the Scott Stevens/Kasparitis/Blake days.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
That is why the team were hard to like this year. No hits, no offense, they played a scared "not to lose" defensive style.

And what's worse is that they don't have to play this way to win, just look at the year of the shorten season, they played a go go go offensive style with big hits. We were taking it to the other teams, we were the agressors.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
MT is the type of coach who requires his players to play exactly like he wants, instead of a molding the team to cater to the strengths or players while guarding against their weaknesses. So everybody seems like they are playing semi-scared all the time and not to their full personality. It's really a shame. Hopefully we get a Babcock or other legit coach who won't spend his time playing mind games with the players. PK had his best season this year, which I credit to his continued growth as a player and not the structure he's playing in.

PK struggled for half the season, then he got better by the end.

His best season was the shorten season where he won the Norris. He was incredible that year offensively and defensively and was hitting without putting his team in trouble.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad