What happened to the Bashkirov twins?

• Thread starter NativeHockey77*
  • Start date

NativeHockey77*

Decent numbers in the Q back in 06-07 and even made the world junior U18 in 2006 (correct me if im wrong on the year). They both seemed promising pro career ahead of themselves...what happened?? I know they were suppose to play in the OHL back in 2008 but never reported...

I dont understand why they didnt make the Russian WJC team the years they were eligable

Roman Bashkirov

Left Wing
Born Mar 7 1989
Height 5.10 -- Weight 166 -- Shoots L

--- Regular Season --- ---- Playoffs ----
Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM GP G A Pts PIM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2006-07 Quebec Remparts QMJHL 70 34 34 68 66 5 4 2 6 2
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ruslan Bashkirov

Left Wing
Born Mar 7 1989 -- Moscow, Russia
Height 5.11 -- Weight 186 -- Shoots L

Selected by Ottawa Senators round 2 #60 overall 2007 NHL Entry Draft

--- Regular Season --- ---- Playoffs ----
Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM GP G A Pts PIM
2006-07 Quebec Remparts QMJHL 64 30 37 67 117 5 1 3 4 6
2008-09 Tolyatti Lada KHL 2 0 0 0 2 -- -- -- -- --

Last edited by a moderator:

ocarina

May 23, 2009
From what I remember, Ruslan was considered the really talented one, Roman not as much. The Senators took Ruslan in the 2nd round in 2007 but Roman went undrafted. Because of that, they left North America and went back to Russia. Last I heard, Ruslan got waived by his KHL team (that was a couple of years ago).

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
I made some research and found these guys.

Roman Baskhirov, born 7.3. 1989, playing for Dinamo Tver in VHL (2nd tier), Tver is farm team of Dinamo Moscow playing KHL

Ruslan Baskhirov, born 7.3. 1989, playing for HK Ryazan in VHL

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
Leading up to the 2007 draft, it was widely gossiped in the Q that Roy had promised them he'd make sure that both of them would get drafted and that to get one, an NHL team would have to take both brothers.

Ottawa selected one (and later traded their 7th round pick that year, I believe) and he didn't report. Frankly, if they wanted him enough, which I think they did to pick him in the 2nd round, I don't understand why not just waste the 7th round pick on his brother just to secure the prospect and see what he can do.

In any case, so the story goes, they're unhappy because in their mind Roy broke his promise and thus they return to Russia.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
yeah, the whole brother act was a bit of a ridiculous situation. Stupid on their part for demanding to stay together, stupid on ottawa's part not to find a 7th to use on him.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
ottawa shouldnt have even picked a russian with a 2nd.

I am just happy we dont waste anymore picks on russians

ocarina

May 23, 2009
yeah, the whole brother act was a bit of a ridiculous situation. Stupid on their part for demanding to stay together, stupid on ottawa's part not to find a 7th to use on him.

Yeah, I never really understood why Ottawa did what they did. Did they somehow not know about that deal they had with Roy? I mean, Roman was still likely better then your typical 7th rounder anyway, they had to have known there was going to be a risk if they didn't take him.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Roman was known for being soft and lazy. Ruslan was a hard worker, who banged and had more offensive ability. Roman was an ECHL talent at best (AHL with a lot of work), whereas Ruslan looked like an NHL talent.

obsenssive*

Ottawa wasted a 9th round pick on Nelson Petlz' brat son Brad, so it makes it really strange they didn't pick roman in the 7th.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Roman was known for being soft and lazy. Ruslan was a hard worker, who banged and had more offensive ability. Roman was an ECHL talent at best (AHL with a lot of work), whereas Ruslan looked like an NHL talent.

WTF?!

Roman was the hard worker. Never afraid to show his nose in front of the net. That's the main reason why he got more goals than his brother that season. You could see Ruslan had more skills but Roman got the same numbers by working harder. Ruslan was also working well, but not as much as his brother. Roman didn't play soft, he was just smaller. Roman was even our best player in the playoffs that year. I never understood why Ottawa didn't take a chance with him. In the 7th round, he was worth the try.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
First practice in Quebec City, Roy asks Ruslan to skate around the ice while mimicking a round with his finger. Ruslan gets down on the ice and starts doing the 'bacon'. That was funny.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
it's the father's doing (what I heard) he single-handedly ruined their careers...It appears neither one is good enough to make it to the KHL even...May be late bloomers?

shibster

Dec 5, 2005
Do I sense a dejected Volchenkov fan?

Opposite, actually. If you look at Ottawa's draft history, they actually have selected quite a few Russians over the years, the only one of which worked out well for them being Volchenkov. A major reason for the Senators current struggles was Muckler throwing away picks on players that never left Russia.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
it's the father's doing (what I heard) he single-handedly ruined their careers...It appears neither one is good enough to make it to the KHL even...May be late bloomers?

Crazy father. They had everything here. Apartment, car, plane tickets, etc. The team had to find another apartment midway to the season because their mother prefered to stay downtown. This is the place where apartments are the most expensive in Quebec City. They were driving this:

porsche-cayenne.jpg

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Roman had zero chance of an NHL career. He didn't even have AHL calibre skills. For Ruslan, who was a legit prospect, to throw away a promising career because the Sens didn't draft his scrub brother is insane.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->