What happened to Nick Crawford?

FanboySlayer*

“We’re pleased to have Nick signed to a three-year contract,†said Regier. “He’s made tremendous progress since we drafted him two years ago in the sixth round, and we look forward to him having a bright future with the Buffalo Sabres organization.â€

Renaud Lavoie ‏@LavoieRenaud 27m

Waivers: Mitchell, John ANA) Marshall, Kevin TOR) Crawford, Nick BUF) Biega, Alex VAN) Deschamps, Nicolas WSH)

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
He will easily clear and be depth again in Rochester. Hockey is littered with prospects that don't pan out.

FanboySlayer*

why waive him - his current contract must be league minimum so they won't save anything if they re-sign him for rochester depth.

could have tried converting him to forward

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
why waive him - his current contract must be league minimum so they won't save anything if they re-sign him for rochester depth.

He isn't waiver exempt anymore. He has to clear to go to Rochester, and he sure isn't staying in the NHL.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
“We’re pleased to have Nick signed to a three-year contract,†said Regier. “He’s made tremendous progress since we drafted him two years ago in the sixth round, and we look forward to him having a bright future with the Buffalo Sabres organization.â€

Renaud Lavoie ‏@LavoieRenaud 27m

Waivers: Mitchell, John ANA) Marshall, Kevin TOR) Crawford, Nick BUF) Biega, Alex VAN) Deschamps, Nicolas WSH)

Good AHL defenseman. Not every player drafted turns into an NHLer.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Crawford was never a huge prospect in the first place. Him ending up as an AHLer isn't that out of line with expectations (in fact, he's probably exceeded expectations since he was a 6th round pick). He's on waivers because that's the only way he can go to the AHL. It's pretty standard. I have a feeling you kind of don't get how waivers work

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY

Yep I agree we drafted the guy so we at least owe it to him to try his hand at 4th line forward duty.

is sarcasm smiley necessary?

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Never say never as anything can happen if "Finley" was claimed.
Finley was originally a 1st round pick and had a lot of injury issues and had actually played in the NHL prior to being claimed on waivers. I don't think him being claimed has anything to do with Crawford

Yep I agree we drafted the guy so we at least owe it to him to try his hand at 4th line forward duty.

Hey, let's take every failed defensive prospect and try to make him a forward even if his game wouldn't translate and he's never played forward before!

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Hey, let's take every failed defensive prospect and try to make him a forward even if his game wouldn't translate and he's never played forward before!
Where is Kirill Koltsov playing nowadays? He would have been the next Pavel Bure if Vancouver just tried him at forward. Maybe we can sign him.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Finley was originally a 1st round pick and had a lot of injury issues and had actually played in the NHL prior to being claimed on waivers. I don't think him being claimed has anything to do with Crawford

I agree....Finley was a former 1st round pick, comes with size, and the contract he was on was cheap. He was worth the risk.

Its sooooooo rare to get anything from a 6th round or later pick. To clasify this as some sort of blown pick is idiotic.

sabresandcanucks

Jul 2, 2009
Where is Kirill Koltsov playing nowadays? He would have been the next Pavel Bure if Vancouver just tried him at forward. Maybe we can sign him.

lol....so true. Vancouver has had such great success with Russian players since Bure. :sarcasm:

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV
If he hadn't had a PPG age-20 year, he may not have been signed in the first place. As others have said, nice AHL player, probably not even an emergency call up but there's value in having vets who have been in the organization for a few years for continuity. I don't think there was any reasonable idea of him being even a mid-level prospect.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Crawford was a 6th round pick and has turned into an OK AHL defenseman. That's a win. Most 6th round picks don't amount to anything at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad