What happened to Laine’s goal-scoring?

Los merengues

Mar 24, 2019
Maybe you should learn how to read?

"Going by straight league averages, Laine's 44 was greater than Staal's 45, and he was younger."

Adjusted for the season (by straight up league GF averages), Laine's 44 goals was slightly better than Staal's 45 goals over 10 years earlier.

For example, Hull + Ovie lead the all-time adjusted goals per season stats, not Gretzky:

NHL & WHA Single Season Leaders and Records for Adjusted Goals | Hockey-Reference.com
Maybe you should learn how to count. Ill help 43,44,45,46.

See 44<45 its not actually that hard. But in Pulju world I bet most things that require any kind of brain activity are debilitatingly challenging.

I bet Edmonton scoring averages make Pulju Look like a great player since If you exclude Drai and McDavid hi actually has a decent point totals. Damn only in Pulju mind in a Pulju land. League averages :help::D:D:D

tuozzi

Dec 9, 2011
Turku
Maybe you should learn how to count. Ill help 43,44,45,46.

See 44<45 its not actually that hard. But in Pulju world I bet most things that require any kind of brain activity are debilitatingly challenging.

I bet Edmonton scoring averages make Pulju Look like a great player since If you exclude Drai and McDavid hi actually has a decent point totals. Damn only in Pulju mind in a Pulju land. League averages :help::D:D:D
1. Not being good at English does not make one stupid.
2. Even if it did, mocking someone for it is extremely childish.
3. It's also ironic since you seem to think league averages across eras is analogous with averages within teams.

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
I thought the Matthews vs Laine thing was over and done with.
Think again! It will never be over! Laine and Matthews are too connected for fans to let it go. These 2 will be compared for their whole career and the discussion will go on here on HF Boards long after both have retired. :)

Los merengues

Mar 24, 2019
1. Not being good at English does not make one stupid.
2. Even if it did, mocking someone for it is extremely childish.
3. It's also ironic since you seem to think league averages across eras is analogous with averages within teams.
If you are a FIN and bad at English yes it does. If you dont know what your talking about, dont. Average FIN is fluent. Pulju struggles to count to 10.

Reactions: MC2D

tuozzi

Dec 9, 2011
Turku
If you are a FIN and bad at English yes it does. If you dont know what your talking about, dont. Average FIN is fluent. Pulju struggles to count to 10.
*you're

I'm a Finn and majored in second language acquisition studies, so I very much do know what I'm talking about. There are highly intelligent people in Finland who are bad at English.

P.s. How about that Laine kid? I bet he ends up with 40 goals.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
*you're

I'm a Finn and majored in second language acquisition studies, so I very much do know what I'm talking about. There are highly intelligent people in Finland who are bad at English.

P.s. How about that Laine kid? I bet he ends up with 40 goals.

You're right. There are also less intelligent people in Finland, or those who might have been but then lost that ability for various reasons (for example, like booze, ganja, and too much HFB). Even for them it is easy to use Patrik Laine threads as a mean for improving their skills in English.

Some of them can even credit this site for their current level in English.

We must try to be lenient to those poor one language anglophones who hardly ever can achieve any levels of fluency in Finnish by taking part to these never ending Patrik Laine debates. Its not that bad for a Finn if their random outcomes in English doesn't fulfill high standard of Oxford English, as there seems to exist serious linguistic issues with correct pronunciation even among people who speak English as their first language.

One of most annoying, and repeatedly encountered example is difficulty between correct use of words 'to' and 'too'. How hard it is to get that right?

We Finns start with Mother Tongue that gives lot more chances to make easy mistakes:
  • istua "to sit down" (istun "I sit down")
  • istahtaa "to sit down for a while"
  • istahdan "I'll sit down for a while"
  • istahtaisin "I would sit down for a while"
  • istahtaisinko "should I sit down for a while?"
  • istahtaisinkohan "I wonder if I should sit down for a while"
:D

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015

Have you been to Lapland? I know people from his hometown who really don't speak English well at all. I'm not sure what the reason is but most of my family is there and they don't really speak English

StumpyTown

Sep 26, 2016
How has a discussion on Laine's goalscoring been reduced to an argument whether Finnish people speak English well?
Back to the discussion at hand.
Laine's been getting better looks in the last few games and the indications are that a streak may be coming on for him. The question is how many and for how long will this one last.
I can't wait for him to fill out that 6'5" frame more. He's already looking much stronger than his last seasons and I wonder how much stronger he'll get in the offseason again this year.
Once he does he'll add a new dimension to the game which we are already seeing glimpses of. If a defenseman has to worry about him driving to the net as much as a pure shooter the opportunities will be magnified greatly for him.

Subbanned

Nov 4, 2011
Think again! It will never be over! Laine and Matthews are too connected for fans to let it go. These 2 will be compared for their whole career and the discussion will go on here on HF Boards long after both have retired. :)
Huh? What discussion? Matthews is the superior player in every aspect AINEC. I guess you are right with respect to some fans not letting go of the early comparisons to each other lol

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Huh? What discussion? Matthews is the superior player in every aspect AINEC. I guess you are right with respect to some fans not letting go of the early comparisons to each other lol

Not that I care much about the discussion or player comparison. However, relatively speaking you're far from the mark....A.M. cap hit is 11.6 mil per year while P.L. cap hit is 6.75 mil per year.

Belzebob

Apr 10, 2016

every aspect eh?

look up most goals in nhl history for a 21 yr-old.

you will find laine easily, think he is 7th and still 21.

you will have to go down the list to find Matthews.

and being how hockey is a contact sport, I would rather have a laine who has found he likes to hit people.....

than Matthews who only cares about his stats

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
Matthews is having the better season right now, but the race between Matthews and Laine is far from over. Both Matthews and Laine has a lot of passionate fans that try to pump up their own player. Then add to that the facts that Matthews rubs a lot of Jets fans the wrong way and I know Laine rubs a lot of my fellow Leafs fans the wrong way too ever since he scored that first hattrick against the Leafs. So you can see that there's plenty of fuel to let this fight go on and on. :nod:

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
9 goals in the last 10 games and playing the 200 game! Ohh yeahhh..

12 more goals please
Why do you want Laine to end up with 1 less goal than Teemu Selanne scored during his 4 seasons with the Jets?! That's a weird obsession... :huh:

SharksAttack

May 22, 2005
Finland
No it doesn't. Some of us had bad English teachers. At Ala-aste it was grammar, grammar and grammar. "No speaking at class."
At Yläaste drunk teacher who didn't teach anything. At Lukio I was too much behind to get good grades. I had to learn English almost alone. Luckily Internet was a thing and I could do it.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Why do you want Laine to end up with 1 less goal than Teemu Selanne scored during his 4 seasons with the Jets?! That's a weird obsession... :huh:

Teemue did his at 22 to 26 if yout talking about 4 years.
Laine is 18 to 21.
Laine will have +130 career goals before Teemu plays an nhl game.

And teemu is what got me hooked to hockey full time then as a kid.

Im talking about placing 5th in the under 22 most goals scored in NHL history. That has more weight for me how good Laine is despite being saddled to non playmaking center in his 4 years except that brief moment with Stastny.

I would like for him to score 16 more goals or 20 more goals.

Lets see first how motivated Laine is after Maurice got signed ;)

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
Teemue did his at 22 to 26 if yout talking about 4 years.
Laine is 18 to 21.
Laine will have +130 career goals before Teemu plays an nhl game.

And teemu is what got me hooked to hockey full time then as a kid.

Im talking about placing 5th in the under 22 most goals scored in NHL history. That has more weight for me how good Laine is despite being saddled to non playmaking center in his 4 years except that brief moment with Stastny.

I would like for him to score 16 more goals or 20 more goals.

Lets see first how motivated Laine is after Maurice got signed ;)
Why are you guys keeping Maurice as your coach?! The guy is soft and useless. Plus he's the biggest threat to Laine's legacy in the long run. With a decent coach Laine would've broken the all time February goal record this year with that crazy good schedule you've got.

I must say that Laine would do much better playing for my leafs. When you play for the Leafs you can focus just on outscoring the opponent. Playing defense is always secondary for my Leafs.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
I must say that Laine would do much better playing for my leafs. When you play for the Leafs you can focus just on outscoring the opponent. Playing defense is always secondary for my Leafs.

Laine as LW Defender backing up Marner-Matthews-Nylander line would ensure both decent goal scoring season for Laine but also better prospects for Leafs in the playoffs.

And that is not commented when being in full joke mode.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Why are you guys keeping Maurice as your coach?! The guy is soft and useless. Plus he's the biggest threat to Laine's legacy in the long run. With a decent coach Laine would've broken the all time February goal record this year with that crazy good schedule you've got.

Wheeler needs to be happy. :)
And Maurice keeps the locker room in check.
He is very good at it

Subbanned

Nov 4, 2011
Not that I care much about the discussion or player comparison. However, relatively speaking you're far from the mark....A.M. cap hit is 11.6 mil per year while P.L. cap hit is 6.75 mil per year.

LOL what even is this reply. Relatively speaking about my commentary on their skillset as hockey players warrants a response about their contracts?? LOLLL what??? And how does 11.6 that expires in 2024 as a UFA compare to 6.75 that expires end of next season as a RFA

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->