What guys from outside the CHL will be invited to Canada's WJC camp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Jason MacIsaac said:
5 sounds right?????? They didn't even invite Zajac last year.

There were plenty of CHL players (ones better than Zajac for the tourney) that weren't invited either.

You need to let up on this Zajac thing.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Roughneck said:
There were plenty of CHL players (ones better than Zajac for the tourney) that weren't invited either.

You need to let up on this Zajac thing.
Don't see it happening, Zajac should atleast have gotten an invite let alone get a good shot to make the team.

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Jason MacIsaac said:
Don't see it happening, Zajac should atleast have gotten an invite let alone get a good shot to make the team.

Again, there were LOTS of players that could/should have gotten invites and could have made the team, this year it is very different, the team doesn't have double-didget returning players, and there are more players capable of making the team in the NCAA than last year.

This year, more NCAA players were invted to the summer camp, and with Toews, you have a player who has pushed himself into the spotlight. I'd say at least 4 will get invited, I'd have to disagree with Bob on Pokuluk. The three invited to the summer camp (Bertram, Chucko and Cogliano) and then Toews.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
BobMckenzie said:
It will be those three plus Bertram and probably Pokoluk. Five sounds about right.

Really? I can see Bertram, but not Pokoluk. Well, Wes O'Neill was invited last year so anything's possible.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
BobMckenzie said:
It will be those three plus Bertram and probably Pokoluk. Five sounds about right.
Wow, that would seem like a lot to me... is Pokulok really playing that well? (Given that Barker, Parent, Staal, Bourdon, Rogers, Stephenson, Jackson, Russel, Schultz already make the choices on D hard enough... :dunno: ).

32 players isn't all that many when it comes time to start counting the names... guys who don't have a realistic shot at making the team probably shouldn't be in this mix. (Not saying that Pokulok or Toews don't have a shot, obviously you know far far better than I do... it just surprises me that they're still in the mix, that's all. Great for them if they are).

BobMckenzie

Jul 23, 2003
I should have said "possibly" as opposed to "probably" on Pokoluk. Nevertheless, he has a shot at being one of the 10. It's going to be either four or five as far as college players getting invited.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
In terms of Zajac last year, the team was stacked with the labour dispute, and given he was 19 and not eligible for this year, it was not a surprise that he wasn't invited.

This year, there is basically no one returning at forward, so the invites have really opened up. And guys like Cogliano and Toews are young enough to play a few more times - two more years after this one for Toews I believe. Along those same lines, Chucko might not get invited, but given who the coach is, I would suspect he will.

Guy Flaming

One NHL exec I talked to said he's heard that only two NCAA players will be invited.

Cogliano and Toews. (yes, not Chuko). I find that hrd to believe what with the Sutter connections between CGY, Red Deer and Team Canada.

But, that's what I was told by one NHL person.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Chucko, Bertram, Cogliano and Toews.

Out of curiosity who do you think will make the team from the NCAA? I think Cogliano has the best shot and Chucko has a really good shot at making the team. Toews and Bertram have an outside shot IMO. In the end I think Chucko and Cogliano will make the team.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
canucksfan said:
Chucko, Bertram, Cogliano and Toews.

Out of curiosity who do you think will make the team from the NCAA? I think Cogliano has the best shot and Chucko has a really good shot at making the team. Toews and Bertram have an outside shot IMO. In the end I think Chucko and Cogliano will make the team.

Cogliano supposeduly looked very good in the summer camps, playing alongside Pouliot and Latendresse (two other likely forwards), so it looks like he might be pencilled in. If that line looks decent at camp, all three could play together for the duration. But he isn't a sure thing - he'll have to at least not play his way off the team.

Toews will be in a bit different a position in that he'll really have to earn the spot. But he's been good for the U-18 team before, so if he is on the cusp of making it based on his play at camp, I think they might take him just for the experience (they often do that with one young player).

I think Chucko has a decent chance given Sutter is the coach, but he will be on the bubble.here are a lot of good forwards and some good players will not make the team (just like every year). Personally, I doubt Bertram makes it.

AgentNaslund*

Rabid Ranger said:
Toews, Cogliano, and Chucko would be my guess.

good list. Sorry, I disagree about Chucko. He does not have the skill to be anywhere on the top 2 lines, or fast enough to play any type of checking role.

BTW Zajac is too old to make the team anyways.

Transported Upstater

AgentNaslund said:
good list. Sorry, I disagree about Chucko. He does not have the skill to be anywhere on the top 2 lines, or fast enough to play any type of checking role.

They were talking about Zajac for last year. However, it's a moot point, because he probably wouldn't have made the team in any significant capacity.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
AgentNaslund said:

While I'm not sold on the idea of Chucko being on Team Canada, I think he'll get an invite and is fast enough to play a checking role. He's a good skater.

flambers

Jun 4, 2005
AgentNaslund said:

How would you know if does not have the "speed" to play on the team? Obviously if makes the team he must have some sort of skill......

scott99

May 13, 2005
Ever hear about someone named Shea Guthrie, having a great Freshman season at Clarkson, tied with Cogliano for second in freshman scoring. I believe Kessel leads all freshman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad