What goaltender in history does Kari Lehtonen match up to the closest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayRice66

Jul 31, 2005
Wheeling, WV
Ive heard a ton of comparisons. I know this guy has pretty much dominated every level he has played in. I'm really hoping he gets the starting job in atlanta. Cause thise guy has possibly the most potential I have ever seen when it comes to goaltenders.

JayRice66

Jul 31, 2005
Wheeling, WV
Vincent_TheGreat said:
You think he has more potential then Luongo, or have you seen him play. Lethonen seems to be a lot like Luongo, size, good lateral mobility and poise.

Personally, yes I do. I really like Luongo as well. But Lehtonen is amazing. I saw the guy play all 4 games he played last season. He posted 4 wins. a 1.25 GAA and he had 1 shutout in 4 games. He is going to be something special.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
not to take anything away from lehtonen, but 4 games is hardly enough to judge a goaltender on. he did great in those 4 games, fantastic for him, but it doesn't indicate at all how he could handle the NHL as a regular goalie.

I think he'll be great, don't get me wrong

fedorov_jr

May 8, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Pancake Repairman said:
Jim Carey won a Vezina, yet 4 games make this kid special?

wow.... thats like comparing apples and oranges.....

lehtonen has amazing reflexes, has played against some good competition in finland and in the AHL... he should be a solid goalie for a lot of years (i'm hoping, i got him for my FHL team)

CRAZY_FAN

Aug 26, 2002
Quebec
fedorov_jr said:
wow.... thats like comparing apples and oranges.....

lehtonen has amazing reflexes, has played against some good competition in finland and in the AHL... he should be a solid goalie for a lot of years (i'm hoping, i got him for my FHL team)
Watch Carey stats the year he won the Vezina :
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid%5B%5D=13060

4 games mean nothing. I do hope he will be good since I got him in my keeper, but who knows what will hapen.

MM425

Aug 14, 2005
The reason why there is so much buzz about Lethonen is he is (at the age of 22) is a proven big game goalie. Goalies like that just don't grow on trees.

If you look at his numbers in the AHL playoffs, you'll understand that he is gonna be a good goaltender for a long, long time

JayRice66

Jul 31, 2005
Wheeling, WV
You need serious help if you can compare Lehtonen to Carey. Give me a break. I never intended the 4 games stats to prove this guy was a amazing goaltender. But anyone that watched him play in those 4 games would realize the skill he posseses. The guys is amazing, the more shots he faced. The better he got. No, i'm not saying 4 games makes him a all star. But watching the guy work, definately makes you think about what he can become.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Vincent_TheGreat said:
You think he has more potential then Luongo, or have you seen him play. Lethonen seems to be a lot like Luongo, size, good lateral mobility and poise.
I'd like to think that Lehtonen is already ahead of Luongo in the rebound cathegory.

btn

Gone Hollywood
Feb 27, 2002
ATL
Visit site
JayRice66 said:
I'm really hoping he gets the starting job in atlanta.

Looks like you got your wish, Pasi Nurminen announced his retirement today due to a freak knee injury while practicing with his local club in Finland.

Heimy

Feb 28, 2002
I was just here
Visit site
I'm a Panthers fan who also watched Lehtonen's 4 games and couldn't have been more impressed. IMO he's the real deal...great positioning, soft soft pads, quick as a cat and calm as a cucumber. I'd trade Luongo, experience and all, even up for him right now and feel totally comfortable going into the season. And for the record, I felt that way before Luongo's contract squable. Of course Lehtonen could blow up, but based on what I saw I just don't consider it even a remote possible. With all the talent on the Thrashers roster Lehtonen could very well be their best player going into this season.

In other words, I'm a wee bit concerned about the Thrashers. :sarcasm:

JimBones

Mar 3, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Garbs said:
So will he definitely get the starting job?
Yes. DW said he would have been the starter even if Pasi was still around. They also feel the 60 games he got in the AHL during the lockout really helped.

And I think he is the real deal. Hard to tell how he will hold up over the long haul, but he is impressive. I can distinctly remember the first 2 goals he let in (of 5 total) happened because he got hung out to dry by snoozing defensemen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad