What gives...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Clayton Stoner is currently number 7 in the WHL for points for a defenseman (having amassed 29 points (6 goals, 23 assists)) and has 42 PIMs. He has also played roughly 1-17 games less than every other player on the list.

He has more points than:

Shea Weber
Shawn Belle
Dion Phaneuf
Mike Card
Andrej Meszaros (who is a rookie)
Braydon Coburn
Jeff Schultz

So why was this guy taken so late on the first day? Is he adding another dimension to his game? Is he having a break out year? What is going on?

Stoner, is by far, my favorite Wild prospect edging out Harding and O'Sullivan. I am really happy for him to have found this success but I am curious to figure out why he is. So Vancouver fans...or Tri-City fans...tell me WHY?

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
It happens. It took Ross Lupashcuk two-and-a-half years of juniors before he started putting up offensive numbers. I've read (granted, it was on these boards) a couple of times he was drafted as a defensive defenseman.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
DoobieDoobieDo said:
Clayton Stoner is currently number 7 in the WHL for points for a defenseman (having amassed 29 points (6 goals, 23 assists)) and has 42 PIMs. He has also played roughly 1-17 games less than every other player on the list.

He has more points than:

Shea Weber
Shawn Belle
Dion Phaneuf
Mike Card
Andrej Meszaros (who is a rookie)
Braydon Coburn
Jeff Schultz

So why was this guy taken so late on the first day? Is he adding another dimension to his game? Is he having a break out year? What is going on?

Stoner, is by far, my favorite Wild prospect edging out Harding and O'Sullivan. I am really happy for him to have found this success but I am curious to figure out why he is. So Vancouver fans...or Tri-City fans...tell me WHY?

Five of those guys played in the World Junior Championships. Phaneuf and Meszaros have both led the WHL in d-man scoring at various points this season.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
True but still, Stoner was known slightly before the draft by scouts and by Redline (I believe). I'm just curious on why he was picked so late...

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
The funny thing with this season is Clayton IS predominantly a stay at home kind of guy. He's a shot blocker and a physical d-man who loves to make things difficult for his opponents. He's the exact type of defender that everybody hates to play against. I hate making this comparison because its cliche with them being from the same place, but he really is a slightly bulkier version of Willie Mitchell.

He's a "do anything he can to win" sort of player. I'm pretty surprised he's been THIS offensively successful on a team that I believe is struggling to score.

But he has been underappreciated his entire junior career. I remember posting before Christmas last year why people weren't talking about himand getting some responses along the lines of nobody really cares. Then he was rank 111th or something like that in the final rankings (or maybe mid term) and he started to appear on some mocks. THen he went where he did, and has had one of the best seasons for any WHL defender this year, and is still ignored.

Anyhow, just my thoughts.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
I tell you what...I think he has as much upside as Weber. Borderline top 4 guy I say but still a very servicable NHL guy. He attended the Sharks rookie camp two seasons ago and I gotta say I liked what he had to offer. Thought the Sharks might take a stab at him this past draft but I guess they weren't as impressed :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->