Pre-Game Talk: What? Game Day? oh yeah the Habs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Relative how amazing they are in general, I don’t think Marner and Matthews are particularly good at entering the zone on the PP. I really don’t think Thornton and Simmonds helps them there either.

My main issue with Simmonds on the PP is he isn’t really a goal line option. Like it’s great that he can stand in front of the net and bang home rebounds, but the thing that made JVR and even Nylander last year so effective was that they were able to be a pass option on the goal line as well. Simmonds can’t do that at this stage of his career. PKers just have to pressure Matthews and Marner and their only outlet is back to Rielly.
Honestly, we seem to enter the zone with ease, that’s the least of our worries.

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
its an option.

Tavares has had lots of success in his career with grinders on his wings.

Nylander-Matthews-Marner superline with Tavares centering the 2nd line? (which is what he shiould have done last playoffs if Keefe wanted a superline so badly).

Nylander on a 3rd line with Foligno and Engvall/Kerfoot? could be interesting.

Interesting you mention this, I was thinking of that possibility as well. I thought the following:

Gally-Matty-Mitch
Hyman-JT-Mikey
Foligno-Kerfoot-Nylander
Simmonds/Thornton-Nash-Spezza

x-Engvall

Nylander- Kerfoot have shown decent chemistry. That said it really comes down to which team and whether we want a ‘shutdown’ line of sorts. If so then you probably re-unite the HEM line and put Foligno with JT and Willy

Reactions: leafsfan5

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
I’d like to see Marner and Willie at the points. Matthews Hyman and Spezza.

Johnny Gally Simmons
Muzz with Kerfoot

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.

Not really sure Thornton, Simmonds, and Rielly on the top PP is going to fix things but we'll see. Robertson should definitely get a look

We really need to sort out the power play before the playoffs. With all of our talent, it should be one of our greatest strengths.

Reactions: glue

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
We really need to sort out the power play before the playoffs. With all of our talent, it should be one of our greatest strengths.

Totally agree, that said how crazy is it that we’ve been that horrendous on our PP and gone 9-0-1...

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
Robertson has too good of a shot not to be on one of the powerplays... they've struggled so much of late I'm shocked he's not being given the opportunity; would get some fresh blood in there with a absolute cannon of a shot.

At this point, they need anything they can get that gets them going again; finding anyway to start putting the puck in the net again will boost their confidence.

Glad to have him back though.

Reactions: Beleafer34

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Interesting you mention this, I was thinking of that possibility as well. I thought the following:

Gally-Matty-Mitch
Hyman-JT-Mikey
Foligno-Kerfoot-Nylander
Simmonds/Thornton-Nash-Spezza

x-Engvall

Nylander- Kerfoot have shown decent chemistry. That said it really comes down to which team and whether we want a ‘shutdown’ line of sorts. If so then you probably re-unite the HEM line and put Foligno with JT and Willy

I like it - but i don't take Engvall's speed and defense out of the lineup, personally.

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
They have no choice, Simmonds and Thornton are bad ES players and can't defend or PK. They need PP minutes or there's not enough ice time for them.
If one or both of these PP units start clicking, then I'm fine with it. But if not, then changes need to be made. You can't win a Cup if you have to walk on eggshells and you're scared of hurting someone's feelings.

Kunta Kinte

Nov 10, 2011
There is no chemistry on any line right now since Gallagher is out (Danault's line was the only one working out)

Toffoli has been playing bad. Anderson soso. Staal is dogshit, Drouin is an AHLer. Our D is bad, Petry is slumping. No Price.

I can see Matthews scoring 3 again.

5-2 Leafs.

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
I like it - but i don't take Engvall's speed and defense out of the lineup, personally.

I hear you, but realistically if Nash draws in, then actually 2 of Thornton/Simmonds/Engvall are coming out, I can’t see them sit out both the vets over Engvall. But yeah I agree he’s been better then they have.

Last edited:

Optimist

Wendel and I
Feb 16, 2015
Ontario Canada

Not really sure Thornton, Simmonds, and Rielly on the top PP is going to fix things but we'll see. Robertson should definitely get a look

I don't think it's the personal on the power play. They just don't seem to have a plan out there. They have sloppy defensive zone exits and often get the puck taken away in the neutral zone. When they gain the offensive zone they just play keep away until Reilly takes his patented weak wrister into the shins of a defender and turns possession over. Rinse and repeat. So frustrating to watch.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Lineups with GSVA from theathletic.com:

Screenshot_20210412-161410_Sheets.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->