What Forwards will fall?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMHUNH

Feb 27, 2003
NH
Visit site
I was going to post this in the Wolski..Underrated thread, but thats not about Wolski anymore.

It seems to me that more teams picking in the top half of the first need Defenseman rather than forwards.

Barker shouldn't get by CHI/CLB

We know CAR wants D at 8

MIN,BUF, and NYI need D prospects so bad that you can safely pencil in a D-man

add that to the fact that Schwarz and Montoya should almost certainly be gone top 15

and you have potential top 12 forwards getting into the 20s

ANA should pick a forward (I have Stafford penciled in)

but somehow I see Smid as an Atlanta guy, dont ask me why

so that has guys like Radulov, Chipchura, Wolski, Picard, Lisin, and Bolland slipping, and some D-men like Meszaros, Mike Green and Valabik maybe going higher than expected.

Seems like some teams in the late teens are licking there lips since they should be going for offense anyways. Picard would fit perfectly in Montreal since they like Q players, St. Louis really makes out because they need a forward, and teams like Nashville, Colorado, and Dallas will really benefit.

Of course this is all speculation, but people who have done mocks know what I am talking about.

Even though guys like Picard and Wolski seem like surefire top 15 picks, they could slip based on team needs.

Opinions?

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
I think that most likely to slip in the draft would be...

1) Enver Lisin

Sure the guy's fast, and he's got great potential because of his speed and inconsistent skill level, but he had a very poor Under 18's, and his stats this year arent very sparkling.

2) Kyle Chipchura

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
TMHUNH said:
MIN,BUF, and NYI need D prospects so bad that you can safely pencil in a D-man

?

I'm not sure the isles take a D in the first round if a higher rated scorer is available.Isles lack both defensive prospects and skilled scoring prospects.

D prospects Gervais and Caldwell are expected to add some youth to their blueline in the next season.

thestonedkoala

We need D prospects so bad...

Ummm...Possible Impact Defensemen:

Misharin, Bolduc, Burns, Heid, Reitz, Stokes...

Possible Impact Forwards:

Foy...

Yeah we need defensemen...

TMHUNH

Feb 27, 2003
NH
Visit site
thestonedkoala said:
We need D prospects so bad...

Ummm...Possible Impact Defensemen:

Misharin, Bolduc, Burns, Heid, Reitz, Stokes...

Possible Impact Forwards:

Foy...

Yeah we need defensemen...

I respect your opinion, since I know that you know the Wild just as good as I know my teams, BUT..

None of those guys are really top prospects in the eyes of most.

I know Burns might/should stay at D, but lets look at Minnesotas top prospects per THN.

1. Koivu C
2. O'Sullivan C
3. Harding G
4. Wanvig RW
5. Foy RW

And Minnesotas list via HF

1. Koivu C
2. Burns RW (Yes I know he is D now, but shouldnt even be in this discussion because he is already on the roster anyways.
3. O'Sullivan C
4. Harding G
5. Wallin LW
6. Foy RW
7. Veilleux LW
8. Courchaine C

Now like I said, I do know that you have more knowledge of Minnys system than I, but I think those lists suggest that they could or dare I say SHOULD pick a defenseman.

That being said, I think the forwards that should be available at 12 might be more attractive than the 2nd tier of D-men.

Minny could also go goalie too if Montoya slips, sure they have Harding and Roloson is signed through 2006, but with the distinct possibility that by the time Montoya leaves Michigan you can put a safe bet that both Roloson and Fernandez are no longer there and you can't rule it out.

DW

May 3, 2003
MN
Visit site
Minnesota will take a forward like they always have. Most Wild fans would agree on drafting a dmen, but they need scorers just as bad. Maybe things will become more clear closer to draft time.

thestonedkoala

WILL YOU STOP FREAKING LOOKING AT OUR LIST!

Also I trust THN as much as I can find it around in Austin and that's to say I can't find it, so I don't trust it! I like reading it but Wanvig being in the top 5 is a joke. Top 10 yes but I can put Wallin and Burns ahead of him.

Burns played roughly 20 or so games this year, he is as much a prospect as anyone else. Why is Fritsche still on the list for Columbus?

The thing is most people don't realize the Wild can utilize bottom line guys like Zyuzin or Kuba from other teams and covert them into top 4 defenseman or useable defensemen like Henry!

Will you stop looking at lists? I've talked to GJ and he and I agree that the lists need to be worked on.

ALSO!

Goalie is going to be taken in the 2nd or 3rd round. Right now we got Harding and if push came to shove, I bet we could sign, draft, or trade for another one that we can work on. We got Kettles and Holmqvist in the minors and Holmqvist is definitely ready for the big show. Kettles needs lots of work and it's still unclear where he is going to end up but he's young and has worked well in places where he was given support.

By the time Montoya leaves Michigan the Wild will have another goalie in the pipes or have Harding working the pipes.

TMHUNH

Feb 27, 2003
NH
Visit site
thestonedkoala said:
WILL YOU STOP FREAKING LOOKING AT OUR LIST!

Will you stop looking at lists? I've talked to GJ and he and I agree that the lists need to be worked on.

LOL :) That is the first time I even looked at it :dunno:

But I understand that your frustration is a general one and not pointed necessarily at me.

I will take your word for it that Minny will look for a forward in round 1.

I had them taking a look at Meszaros, but on second look that may be a bit high for him and a guy like Wolski,Chipchura or Radulov would be the more attractive pick.

This is exatcly the informed opinion I was looking for, and will definitely take it into account when making my final mock

Thank you

thestonedkoala

Radulov is probably the guy they want. A pure scorer, thinking about nothing else but scoring. Instill some defense and you got a deadly line of Radulov- O'Sullivan- Gaborik

TMHUNH

Feb 27, 2003
NH
Visit site
thestonedkoala said:
Radulov is probably the guy they want. A pure scorer, thinking about nothing else but scoring. Instill some defense and you got a deadly line of Radulov- O'Sullivan- Gaborik

Point taken

Let me add another question if I may:

Does your stance change any if Minnesota native Thelen is there at 12?

Carolina may take him, and Atlanta certainly has seen him while watching Jim Slater, but if he slips past them...LA should go goalie by all accounts.

So...

How does Thelen stack up against the forementioned forward crop in your eyes?

thestonedkoala

I'm nervous about Thelen but I think Riser might take him. I don't think Thelen will be there at number 12 but there could be a very good chance, which means Radulov is gone. If it is between Picard, Wolski, Thelen, and Chipchura, I would go with Thelen.

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
Chipchura will fall... 15-20.
Wolski from his once projected 5-10 to 14-20
Schremp should go 8-12
O'Neill - 25-35
Kaspar might last till the 2nd.
Lyamin should go higher
Picard might rise to about 6-10

Other than 1st round...
Yemelin should rise, IMO... based on potential alone.
I can see Lammers rising to mid-late 2nd.
Reddox could be 2nd round compensatory

db23

thestonedkoala said:
I'm nervous about Thelen but I think Riser might take him. I don't think Thelen will be there at number 12 but there could be a very good chance, which means Radulov is gone. If it is between Picard, Wolski, Thelen, and Chipchura, I would go with Thelen.

If Risebrough has a brain in his head he would trade up to make sure he gets A.J. Thelen. This kid had an amazing season in the NCAA and he is just going to get better.

thestonedkoala

The Wild don't have a lot to trade and I think they need the extra draft picks to stock up on prospects.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
TMHUNH said:
ANA should pick a forward (I have Stafford penciled in)

Anaheim is very thin on D-man prospects...Popovic is about it...we have depth in terms of young forwards. (Perry,Getzlaf,Lupul,Chistov,Smirnov,Brent-if signed by tomorrow)

We might pick a forward if there is someone Bryan Murray likes but I think the organization has a more obvious need for D help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->