What former Sabres players still live in WNY?

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
We know the ones who are still involved in the sport or work for the Sabres but I think there are ex-players still around who people assume left and went back to Canada or Europe. The one who surprised me not long ago listening to the Instigators was I think Richard Smehlik who is still in the area running some non-hockey related business.

markpenske

Jul 2, 2015
Saw Daren Puppa shopping. Not a Sabre but also saw Darryl Sittler shopping at BJ's

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Saw Daren Puppa shopping. Not a Sabre but also saw Darryl Sittler shopping at BJ's

I had no idea Darryl Sittler still lived in the Buffalo area - i knew he did at one time but assumed he moved back to Ontario. And never knew Puppa lives in the area either.

I don't remember why Sittler moved here, never played or worked for the Sabres - maybe he liked the lower cost of living/houses and what the area offered.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016

JThorne

Stop accepting failure
Jul 21, 2006
Downtown Buffalo
Fairly certain that McKee does. If not close to the border on the Ontario side, then definitely in Buffalo as I saw him at the downtown Tops quite a bit over the past 10 years.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
McKee is definitely in Buffalo, Andrew Peters did a feature video for the Instigators TV show where he visited McKee at his home. His daughter is a local tennis star who competes nationally.

Dionne has ties to the area - he played junior in St. Catharines(i will never spell that city correctly the first attempt) and attended high school in Welland.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Larry Playfair is in the area.

His nephew was my 4th grade teacher, dude was great.

Kinda off topic, but I do wonder if the Buffalo area feels like home to a lotta players. I was around Eichel’s hometown in Mass. visiting family for Christmas, and it just felt exactly like where I grew up. For a lot of northeastern or Canadian dudes, idk, Buffalo can be kinda that Norman Rockwell sorta old school city. It’s not for everyone, but there’s definitely something there when so many former players decide to stay in the area.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad