780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Nurse will get 1 of 3 deals:
2 year bridge, 2.75 to 3.25 million AAV
6 years, 4.5 to 4.95 million AAV
8 years, 4.95 to 5.25 AAV

I think the best course of action is to go 8 years 5 million.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
1. Nylander 7 years at 6.5 million.
Has the talent and skill to put up 60-70 points every year along side Matthrews. Is getting better with the puck in his own zone too. Better to go long term when he is only going to get better.

2. Hanifin 6 years at 5.5 million
Similar deal to a Reilly or Dumba deal, Hanifin can prove to be one of the best young D man in the NHL this upcoming year. He will be vaulted into more ice time and power play time to make him worth the price. Could be seen as a steal of a deal by the end of contract if he continues to grow. Will not be as good as Dougie in his first couple of years sadly.

3. Reinhart 2 years at 3 million
If I was Buffalo's GM, I would probably go long term on this deal as well but it seems like they are hesitant with his progression. Which is dumb because the kid in every year has increased his point totals and is sound in his own zone. I can see them doing a bridge deal where Reinhart grows into a 2 way elite player who pots 60 points a season with ease.

4. Morrissey 4 years at 4 million
Morrissey is just another stud D man on the Jets back end. Following behind Big Buff and Trouba he can easily step into a bigger role given the need. The reason for the four years is you can really judge if he will turn into a top 2 guy or settle in nicely as a top four. From here he would be coming into his prime years and both the Jets and him could work on a contract extension.

5. Theodore 2 years at 2.75 million
Theodore is an interesting one, as last year he showed how good of a D man he can be last year on Knight's golden run. But almost everyone on that team over preformed. I think it would be good to play it safe on a small bridge deal to see if Theodore can grow more, which I think he will. Hopfully he does and when the two years are up it can be him and Miller teaching some of the younger prospects

6. Kase 4 years at 2.25 million
Kase is the biggest steal of his draft outside the top three rounds. He was a seventh round pick who seems to be having a better time than Ritchie in Mighty Ducks land. He is a player I can see playing a role like Brown for the Leafs. I guy who can play in every situation, from power play , PK and be an overall great guy. Trying to get him on a low price for the 4 years is the key, as players of his kind can go from really good one year to really bad the next.

7. Nurse 6 years at 4.75 million
Lock this guy up. Long term. Dont trade klefbom. These two can be the back bone of the D for the Oilers for years to come. He might not every be a top 2 guy, which i think the Oilers now see, but god he is going to be a solid top 4 for a long time. He deserves a good pay as well, but I dont know if I would go north of 5 million yet. He is a guy who wants to fix the problem too.

8. Wood. 1 year at 2.5 million
Wood is a weird case here, someone I wouldnt put more than one year one. Just like the Knights and Aves, the Devils had a year were everyone played a little bit better than they should have. Wood was exciting to watch but he was often found in the dog house at times and wouldnt get alot of playing time. But when he was on his game he was so much fun to watch, the guy can fly. Safe bet is a big one year deal and go from there.

9. Ritchie. 2 years at 2 million
Ritchie is still the big power forward that the Ducks drafted nearly 4 years ago but he hasnt progressed as offeseivly as they would have liked. And with guys like Pasta, Larkin, Point and others below him who are scoring at higher rates its a tough pill to swallow. That being said, I still think there is upside. With eprry falling off the earth this could be the best time for Ritchie to prove himself. A simple bridge deal is best

10. Schmaltz 2 years at 1.25 million
Schmaltz is a guy who is trying to crack and very good D core in St. Louis. Thankfully spots do seem to be opening up for him as Carl is slowly reaching the end of his life in the NHL. Schmaltz doesn't have a huge sample size but his numbers in the AHL are good enough to bet on a two yeas deal. At best, he grows and can be a stable top 6 guy for the Blues or at worst he can be a force in the AHL.

A glaring oversight I can see is Schmaltz - Dunn is the heir apparent to J Bo's or Gunnarson's spot in the top 4. Whereas a 2 year 1.25 mil contract makes sense there isn't the roster spot for him barring a trade of J Bo or Gunny, unless 2 Blues (Sundqvist Nolan, Thorburn etc) are waived prior to the season starting there isn't a roster spot for him period - even as a 7th dman.

Schmaltz is also no longer waiver exempt so I can't see him clearing waivers to become "a force in the AHL". I don't want to jettison him, as he has looked good at every level he's played at, but Schmaltz as you say is buried behind a great d-core in STL.

Last edited:

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
A glaring oversight I can see is Schmaltz - Dunn is the heir apparent to J Bo's or Gunnarson's spot in the top 4. Whereas a 2 year 1.25 mil contract makes sense there isn't the roster spot for him barring a trade of J Bo or Gunny, unless 2 Blues (Sundqvist Nolan, Thorburn etc) are waived prior to the season starting.

Schmaltz is also no longer waiver exempt so I can't see him clearing waivers to become "a force in the AHL". I don't want to jettison him, as he has looked good at every level he's played at, but Schmaltz as you say is buried behind a great d-core in STL.
How do you see Schmaltz in the top 4? He plays RD, so he is behind Pietrangelo and Parayko there. The latter are both obviously here long term. So to be top 4, Schmaltz then would have to play his "off" side, (which is rarely, if ever, beneficial), where he would be behind Edmundson and Dunn. Sorry, but barring a horrible injury or bad trade, I do not see Schmaltz in the Blues top 4 soon, if ever.

Last edited:

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
I would offer Wood 6/17 million, which comes out to 2.85 million per year. Devils are betting big that his improvement is real and will sign him through his prime. It's a risk for both parties, but very fair.

Eric Robson

Jan 5, 2018
I would offer Wood 6/17 million, which comes out to 2.85 million per year. Devils are betting big that his improvement is real and will sign him through his prime. It's a risk for both parties, but very fair.
That's a little risky isn't it? for one year of performance?

Eric Robson

Jan 5, 2018
4x4 for Morrissey would be an unbelievably stupid move for the Jets. That brings him straight to UFA.
I agree I thought he was 22 not 23. In that case I would try to lock him up to a longer term contract. Something around 7-8 years around 5-6

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
That's a little risky isn't it? for one year of performance?
If he improves at all, or even maintains his performance from last season, it's a very good value for NJ. Not to mention he would be signed for the entirety of his prime. Now, if he regresses to what he was two years ago, it's a disaster.

I believe in him because he was playing high school hockey two and a half years ago and has improved leaps and bounds within that time.

Eric Robson

Jan 5, 2018
If he improves at all, or even maintains his performance from last season, it's a very good value for NJ. Not to mention he would be signed for the entirety of his prime. Now, if he regresses to what he was two years ago, it's a disaster.

I believe in him because he was playing high school hockey two and a half years ago and has improved leaps and bounds within that time.
Agreed thats always the risk. I think we could split it both ways and say three years. its enough time to see if he stays at his level, rises above or sinks below. Three years could lead to a nice contract too.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
How do you see Schmaltz in the top 4? He plays RD, so he is behind Pietrangelo and Parayko there. The latter are both obviously here long term. So to be top 4, Schmaltz then would have to play his "off" side, (which is rarely, if ever, beneficial), where he would be behind Edmundson and Dunn. Sorry, but barring a horrible injury or bad trade, I do not see Schmaltz in the Blues top 4 soon, if ever.

Did you read the first paragraph I posted Simon? I believe I wrote that Dunn was heir apparent to the foreseeable top 4 opening and then pointed out the waiver issue we have if we're looking to retain him long term with the log jam on D.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Did you read the first paragraph I posted Simon? I believe I wrote that Dunn was heir apparent to the foreseeable top 4 opening and then pointed out the waiver issue we have if we're looking to retain him long term with the log jam on D.
My bad. I thought you meant Schmaltz and Dunn together were the heir apparents. We are in complete agreement. :)

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
I don’t necessarily think that Gunnarson is reaching the end of his career as much as that he has just gotten surpassed in STL by a player that plays a role that we cannot fulfill elsewhere on defense. Whereas Gunnarson is essentially expendable for us.

That being said, I don’t necessarily think Schmaltz should be considered a big RFA.

also gunnarson has nothing to do with schmaltz as he is competing for a spot on the right side (bortuzzo)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->