What ever happened to Jim Carey?

David Puddy

Nov 15, 2003
New Jersey, USA
Visit site
But part of the argument is that the entire field was weak in 1995-96. Comparing Brodeur's numbers to an ostensibly-weak field doesn't really help in that regard.
I was using Brodeur's statistics to show that he personally had a strong year. I used his rankings to show that he had numbers worthy of winning the Vezina.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
I was using Brodeur's statistics to show that he personally had a strong year. I used his rankings to show that he had numbers worthy of winning the Vezina.

Yes, I understand that. The rest of us are talking about what a weak field it was overall during that season.

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
Not to mention my poor B's got screwed. We thought we were getting a superstar goalie and traded away Oates and Rick Tocchet.....that turned out very badly :P

I don't see how that deal turned out badly at all.

Oates was good in Washington, but if I recall had a falling out with upper management at the time. Ranford and Tocchet didn't help Washington at all.

They got Allison who, from 97-01 was arguably a top 10 center in the league. And Anson Carter who turned in some respectable seasons.

Also acquiring Carey and making him the number 1 in Boston was a contributing factor as to why the Bruins finished last in the league that year and were able to draft Joe Thornton.

The core acquired that season were main reasons why the Bruins won a playoff round in 99. Although it's not something to be proud of, it is still the only playoff round they have won since 1994.

ObnoxiousPensFan*

3 things: Mario, Jaromir, and he was poo-poo.

Last edited by a moderator:

Islesin93*

Jan 29, 2008
I dont know but I have a ticket stub to his first game ever, I wonder how much it is worth as I doubt to many people kept it

Foy

Jun 6, 2006
I don't see how that deal turned out badly at all.

Oates was good in Washington, but if I recall had a falling out with upper management at the time. Ranford and Tocchet didn't help Washington at all.

They got Allison who, from 97-01 was arguably a top 10 center in the league. And Anson Carter who turned in some respectable seasons.

Also acquiring Carey and making him the number 1 in Boston was a contributing factor as to why the Bruins finished last in the league that year and were able to draft Joe Thornton.

The core acquired that season were main reasons why the Bruins won a playoff round in 99. Although it's not something to be proud of, it is still the only playoff round they have won since 1994.

Tocchet not only didn't help, he actually didn't show up for a week until the Caps filed a grievance, and then he was a cancer and simply didn't try the whole time he was here. At the end of the season he was asked about resigning in Washington, and basically laughed at the reporter. Bringing him in was a colossal mistake, and he essentially undermined the entire team that year. Just another reason in a long line for me to despise him.

Foy

Jun 6, 2006
Plus, the Bruins traded Allison for Stumpel and Murray, and traded Carter for Guerin. If I recall, none of the assets the Caps ended up getting for Oates amounted to much.

Long term, the Bruins got a hell of alot more out of that deal than the Caps.

The Caps turned the picks they got in that trade into the pick they used to draft Alexander Semin.

And Bringing in Ranford and him getting hurt is what opened the door for Kolzig.

Jim Carey was actually turning it around in the AHL before his inner ear issue. His last year in the AHL he was 17-8-3 with a GAA of 2.33.

David Puddy

Nov 15, 2003
New Jersey, USA
Visit site
Yes, I understand that. The rest of us are talking about what a weak field it was overall during that season.
Only Big Phil mentioned anything along the lines prior to my first post. The discussion was predominately about Jim Carey with a concentration specifically on the trade between Washington and Boston.

Also, it is not as if I was trying to insinuate Brodeur into the thread. Big Phil mentioned Brodeur, and I disagreed with the comment. The 1995-96 season, coming on the back of Brodeur’s exceptional play in leading the Devils to the Stanley Cup Championship in June of 1995, solidify him as one of the NHL’s elite goaltenders.

AndyDusso

Sep 5, 2005
Please don't compare Carey to the Theodore syndrom.

Jack Gelineau and Frank McCool are your best comparables since they both disappear after winning their Vezina in the '40's.

As for Carey, he simply had problems moving but he could have been a good backup.

After winning the Vezina, his problems began during the playoffs. Also he faced though competition within his organization with the emergence of Kolzig and Dafoe. So he got traded in the blockbuster deal we all know.

He arrived in Boston, and the Bruins were brutal, he was completely awful at the end of '96-'97.

In '97-98 he was ok at the beginnign of the season going 3-2-1 with a ,893 save percentage but his job got stolen by Byron Dafoe a newcomer in the organization. Plus Robbie Tallas did well the season before and therefore the unhappy Carey who lost his #1 job got sent down in Providence were he faced some injuries. Carey was earning a lot of money with his contract, I think that Boston saved some money sending him in the minors (not sure of this)

In '98-99 he did very well in the AHL but was trapped because of his contract, he could not go up because of his salary.

St-Louis gave him a chance in '98-99 but Carey completely blew it and he walked away afterwards. I believe he felt his days in the NHL were over.

I think Carey could have stayed in the NHL if he had a better contract but for sure I do not believe he could have stayed a number one goalie.

willyjagr

Nov 27, 2004
edmonton
Hey does anybody know of anywhere with some actual video of how Carey played? I have always been interested in how his style was from actually watching him and not just from what people say.

Dutch77

Predictable..
Jun 24, 2008
The Caps turned the picks they got in that trade into the pick they used to draft Alexander Semin.

And Bringing in Ranford and him getting hurt is what opened the door for Kolzig.

Jim Carey was actually turning it around in the AHL before his inner ear issue. His last year in the AHL he was 17-8-3 with a GAA of 2.33.

I thought the Semin pick was in the Linden deal, could be wrong though.

I remember being pumped when I got his rookie card and the next year his vezina winning season card. Dude could have had a great career

Lard_Lad

May 12, 2003
Kelowna
Visit site
Jack Gelineau and Frank McCool are your best comparables since they both disappear after winning their Vezina in the '40's.

Not really. In the 6-team league, if a guy got beat out for a goaltending spot, there wasn't much of a chance of finding one with another team. McCool lost his job when Turk Broda came back from the war, Gelineau was gone once the Bruins got Sugar Jim Henry. As far as I know, neither had any fundamental flaws, they just lost their spots to better goalies.

The best example I can think of is Mario Lessard - 2nd team all-star in 80-81, out of hockey at 29 three seasons later. If memory serves, he had a flaw exposed like Carey did (may have been the 5-hole, but I'm not positive) and went downhill fast after opponents picked up on it.

Foy

Jun 6, 2006
I thought the Semin pick was in the Linden deal, could be wrong though.

I remember being pumped when I got his rookie card and the next year his vezina winning season card. Dude could have had a great career

nope, Caps got Boyd Gordon with the pick from Linden. They took Eminger with their own pick in that draft, Gordon with the pick for Linden, and took the picks for Oates, and turned them into the majority of the package that netted us Semin.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
People forget how good he was in the 1995 lockout year. The Caps were languishing that year, then Carey got the call-up and he was lights out. Bondra was great that year, but there's no way the Caps make the playoffs without Carey.

As for 1995-96, Carey also had a lot of help from his defence. Washington's team defence was always strong for most of the 80s and 90s, and 1995-96 was one of their best years. They were airtight, and that helped Carey out.

I always thought Puppa should have won the Vezina that year. I'll also always remember Grant Fuhr's remarkable season that year. He went from an afterthought on the free agent market to a guy who got Hart Trophy votes. Puppa was the best goalie that year; Fuhr meant the most to his team.

Foy

Jun 6, 2006
The Capitals defense was amazing during the Carey years, especially when Tinordi was healthy.

Look at how great Carey's GAA was, then look at his save %. Most nights he was seeing around 18 shots.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad