What effect would Quebec Separation have on...

Status
Not open for further replies.

obsenssive*

...the Nordiques chances of relocation or acquisition of an expansion franchise in Quebec City?

There is going to be a provincial election in Quebec in 2012 or 2013, and it's almost guaranteed that the separatist party the PQ will win a majority, and facilitate another separation referendum. If it is successful, will Quebec City's chances of getting a franchise be endangered? Is this something the NHL might take into consideration? (since it is a real possibility)

and further, could anything happen to the Habs in such a circumstance?

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I dont think succession would alter the chances of Quebec City next round of expansion or relocation

If they have NHL ready arena and Owners it shouldn't be an issue but I do think NHL would have some hesitation about the possible economic effects of a Quebec seperating from Canada

Acesolid

The Illusive Bettman
Sep 21, 2010
Québec
I really dont know, since the effect on the Québec economy would be dramatic.

Anyways, I dont really think it's likely to happen (since it's not that popular a proposition right now), and too far off in the future to predict what will happen.

And besides, it doesn't really matter for me at least, since I'm moving the hell out of here if it does happen (and I'm not the only one).

MoonlightGraham

Oct 28, 2005
Montreal
...the Nordiques chances of relocation or acquisition of an expansion franchise in Quebec City?

There is going to be a provincial election in Quebec in 2012 or 2013, and it's almost guaranteed that the separatist party the PQ will win a majority, and facilitate another separation referendum. If it is successful, will Quebec City's chances of getting a franchise be endangered? Is this something the NHL might take into consideration? (since it is a real possibility)

That is far from certain, the PQ isn't doing all that well these days, and even if they do win, I seriously doubt there would be another referendum. Seperation isn't a hot topic these days, and hasn't been one since 1995.

That being said, if it did happen I doubt it would change anything on Quebec having a team or not. People would still be hockey fans if Quebec separated. You'd have more buisness in that city since it would become the capital of a country.

and further, could anything happen to the Habs in such a circumstance?

Montreal would still be a huge hockey market, there would be no reason to move the team away. And separation might help the Montreal economy because it may force buisnesses headquartered in Toronto to open an office in Montreal to have one in the biggest city of the new country.

And about the name: back when the team was formed, Canadiens (in French) meant what we now call French Canadians, or Québécois. People only began using the word Québécois in the mid-1960s when the seperation movement was born. So the name would still make sense if Quebec became independant, although I agree it would look weird to people who don't know the historical meaning of the word.

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
In order for this thread to stay open, the conversation must remain on-point.

So, don't concern yourselves with the probabilities of the event occurring, but rather the hypothetical what-if.

Discussions about the possibilities of a PQ victory and a subsequent referendum can take place on the political boards. This thread is about the impact of separation on Quebec's chances of getting another team. Period.

As it is, I wouldn't get too attached to the idea of having this thread around for long.

Mathradio

Drive for 25
Oct 11, 2010
consanguinephysics.wordpress.com
1. It shouldn't affect the viability of a new team much
2. If the arena is completed and owners can be found to move/expand in Quebec City by the time Quebec secedes, I don't think there would be enough owners that would object to block the move

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
It surely would depend on the policies of the Quebec government and the economic impact caused by them. Taxation, language policies etc. would naturally affect the viability of any franchise in that country. Would the corporate sponsors currently based in Montreal stay? It would appear odd for Air Canada to be based outside Canada.

Realistically though, it appears to me that even in the event of a successful referendum, Quebec would likely remain part of some sort of Canadian superstructure due to the doubtful viability of Quebec as a truly independent nation without assistance of any sorts from an outside entity. Of course, Harper by recognising Quebec as a "nation" within Canada, whatever that might actually mean, has already laid the foundation for some sort of arrangement like that.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
depends on the timing.

If the NHL is looking at quebec knowing that a refferendum is coming, they may be scared off. Political stability is generally something any business looks at when expanding into a new region.

If we're talking about after quebec has separated, i dont think it would have much effect assuming that this new nation is stable politically and economically.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
None, it would sort of suck that Canada would still only have 6 teams. Provided ofcourse that Winnipeg gets one.

Moobles

Mar 15, 2009
It depends on how they ;separate'. I'll try and keep this as minimally political as I can.

If Quebec enters in a sovereignty association type-agreement in a legal referendum recognized by the Canadian government with all of Quebec territory intact, I see few problems emerging with regards to a Quebec team. I think in the short-term post-referendum the NHL would be wary of moving a team to a new country without first seeing how the transition of authority would play out. If again it was some form of sovereignty-association they'd keep the same currency, keep many of the favorable trade contracts- it would essentially be like Quebec now with an international border and perhaps one a bit more conscious over its spending habits. A Quebec City team would still be viable- and if they finish the arena I see no major roadblocks to expanding there beyond a brief waiting period to make sure that it's stable (and it would be fine). The only outstanding issue would be language, which I'm sure the NHL could find a work around for (and any team in Quebec is likely to draft heavily from the province anyway). Likewise, Montreal would have few problems. The name "Canadien" is still used in Quebec and refers to French Canadians, and I highly doubt it could be changed, Habs fans would be in uproar. Separatists outside of Greater Montreal would probably flock to a Quebec team anyway.

If it's full independence, some form of partition (outside the North) or a 'worst-case scenario' sovereignty (bad referendum, bad blood b/w Canada/Quebec) I can see the NHL being much more wary of expanding there. Depending on what happens, Quebec, Montreal or neither could be affected directly (partition is probably the worst case scenario for both teams), but indirectly through the economy or political tensions (travel visas, etc.) If independence went bad there'd probably be a crisis among many francophones in the league as well, having to likely choose between a Canadian and/or Quebec identity. Let me emphasize that this is a bad scenario: just listing what could hypothetically happen not what must happen, will happen or I believe should happen.

I actually think that Quebec sovereignty-association, if it happened, would be far more like the former and would make for quite the Olympic rivalry (and temporarily blow up Canada's olympic team :D).

KzooShark

Jun 3, 2004
At its heart, the NHL is a business, and political or economic stability is unsettling to business. They'd hold off on expansion or relocation talks in the area until things settled down again. They'd probably prefer that whoever owned Montreal was not interested in selling, as their sale value would probably be artificially low during that period.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
The last I remember reading up on the financial situation of Quebec, the province was pretty far in debt - but that was a few years ago; I don't know how it's changed since. If Quebec separated and then had financial problems, it would almost certainly translate to higher taxes - and that's not exactly a business-friendly climate. I don't think it would necessarily make Quebec off limits for consideration, but I suspect the NHL would be more inclined to look at other places first.

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
I defer to the BoH mods should they wish to re-open this thread, but I don't see any chance of this thread staying on topic and civilly discussed. One warning from Timmy in the thread already and it's been promptly ignored.

Let's just skip straight to the inevitable conclusion of this thread and put a bullet in it.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->