What does Tony DeAngelo get this summer?

????

• Multi-year contract

Votes: 8 2.7%
  • 1 year, $2m+

Votes: 41 14.0%
  • 1 year, less than $2m

Votes: 128 43.7%
  • KHL

Votes: 116 39.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I wouldn't be surprised if the Habs do try and sign him. MB is real tight with his agent, we badly need to add some puck moving ability to our blueline. Pair him with Chiarot.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
He gets a wake up call and a PTO if hes lucky imo. No team wants the warts that he comes with, especially with the league getting its publicity super-charged next season with the ESPN/TNT broadcasts taking over.

There is no other team sport that is more sensitive to bad apples in the locker room than hockey is. Talent is secondary to douchebagery - and its always been that way. Its so wildly different than the NBA in that regard, and I like that. Personally..

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
People are forgetting Marc Bergevin was widely reported to have been willing to make DeAngelo even on his buyout money (1/3 of $4.8M) should he terminate with the Rangers by giving him a contract for this season and next season. It would likely be in the >$2.0M range as far as the "make even" amount goes when accounting for his lost full $4.8M pro-rated paychecks from the deadline to the end of the regular season. If that's the idea behind the "make even" proposal from Bergevin, then it didn't take into consideration the money DeAngelo would make by taking his paychecks, 1/3 buyout in the summer then another $1M+ from a fresh deal in the summer. Maybe that's why DeAngelo didn't rush into that proposal.

The chances of a DeAngelo implosion on a new team is nearly nil when he's trying to rebuild his reputation and from all appearances, his former Rangers teammates by in large are still friends with him and never threw him under the bus. If I had to guess, I'd say his problems were insubordination and crossing the line when he challenged Quinn after being benched for 2 games. That's what got him that warning from Gorton. Then his negative attitude and comments solicited a punch from Georgiev and that was what made Gorton cut him.

It'll come down to which GM wants to handle the media backlash from all the things that were said about him and has a coach who wants someone who isn't a coach's dream to manage. I'd wager he'll get offers up to $1.5M including 3-4 $1.025M or whatever the full bury number is next year. He'll end up picking a place that gives him uncontested PP1 time and a shot to play solid minutes on a pairing.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

lawrence

May 19, 2012
KHL. I cannot imagine a team wanting this hot head. He's got physiological issues. He's the type that will throw a teammate under the bus if they are the one that made a bad play that lead to a go ahead goal from the opposition or something or just blow up at his teammates because he's having a bad day. I rather have Josh Ho Sang than this guy. He's not suiting up for another NHL team ever again my gosh what a guy. I can't imagine it.

KHL or another league.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
He needs a weekly basis psychologist visits and he will be fine.
I mean...look what one Luis Suarez used to be.. shrink visits saved his career.

Probably not the same thing but, therapy, psychology, helps.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
PTO seems about right. It would be a chance to judge his temperament along with his game.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
I wouldn't be outraged if Calgary brought him on. I'm sure he'll write some fancy apology this summer that no one will believe but should be enough to sign him.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
He needs a weekly basis psychologist visits and he will be fine.
I mean...look what one Luis Suarez used to be.. shrink visits saved his career.

Probably not the same thing but, therapy, psychology, helps.

I'd be pretty surprised if the Rangers hadn't tried to do that already, but I might underestimate how backwards hockey people can be.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
KHL. I cannot imagine a team wanting this hot head. He's got physiological issues. He's the type that will throw a teammate under the bus if they are the one that made a bad play that lead to a go ahead goal from the opposition or something or just blow up at his teammates because he's having a bad day. I rather have Josh Ho Sang than this guy. He's not suiting up for another NHL team ever again my gosh what a guy. I can't imagine it.

KHL or another league.
I think you’re greatly overstating how big his “problems” are. This is a guy that finished 4th in defenseman scoring in his second full NHL season with 53 points in 68 games. “He’s not suiting up for another NHL team ever again my gosh what a guy” He’s absolutely getting another NHL contract. The league has had worse guys suit up

Last edited:
Reactions: EdJovanovski

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad