What does this mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

X0ssbar

BLONG7 said:
Hopefully any day we will see this come to an end...One thing in the new CBA I would like to see, is a provision by which the the league and the PA MUST start to negotiate a new one 18 months before the expiration of the current...so we will never see this fiasco again! So hopefully we will see a 6 year deal signed, and in 4.5 yrs time the two people in charge(not Gary or Bob hopefully) will start to iron out a new one so that will be no interruption to the sport.

I agree. I would also add to that provision that if the two sides cannot not agree on a certain issue (for example: salary cap/linkage/cost certainty) that a mutually agreed upon 3rd party arbitrator will be brought in to settle the dispute.

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
I don't think future CBA negotiations will be this contentious ---- remember this time around the are writing an entirely new CBA from top to bottom, not revising bits and pieces.

i am dave

Mar 9, 2004
Corner of 1st & 1st
Levitate said:
yeah but when else are you gonna announce a deal if you're looking to make some kind of splash? i don't now that the NHL is looking to do that but the baseball all-star game and NFL mini-camp aren't exactly huge attention getters...ultimately though what i see would help the NHL gain some attention with the new CBA is the NBA getting locked out at the same time, cuz you know that's going to be covered pretty heavily and if there's something that coincides with that...like the NHL agreeing to a CBA, then it'll get reported in parallel. so while they're spending all the time saying "oh the NBA's locked out" they'll also be saying "and just as the NBA gets locked out, the NHLs lockout has come to an end and we will see hockey in the fall". the NHLs news could piggyback on the NBAs just because of their simularities

Guess you didn't realize 20,000+ go to Lehigh University to watch the Eagles in training camp. Radio and TV stations BROADCAST from training camp

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
PitkanenPower said:
Guess you didn't realize 20,000+ go to Lehigh University to watch the Eagles in training camp. Radio and TV stations BROADCAST from training camp
It's the same with the Redskins . . . . .Heck, most of the year they broadcast from the Redskin team store . . . the only reason the local sports show doesn't talk about Redskins 60 out of 60 minutes is because the Nationals are doing so well . . . so two minutes are used for baseball... :)

DevilsFan

Jun 2, 2005
Scugs said:
I think I'm the first person on this board... And in the entire history of the "Business of Hockey" section, to truthfully say, and mean;

Pretty smart move...

Only reason I say that is because they understand now that every second lost is like $1 lost. (Thats alot of seconds)

So you can say that they are making the rough copy of the final CBA, and are almost done. Then it may take about a week to actually complete the "final copy" of the CBA.

I actually did the math, and based on 2.1 billion dollars of revenues that they could of earned last year, compared to 274 days of a lockout (which would have been pre-season, the regular season and playoffs, with ESPN's sponsorship deal thrown in for good measure), that comes out to at least 912 dollars A SECOND that the NHL and NHLPA lost this year. They are all fools!

GSC2k2*

DevilsFan said:
I actually did the math, and based on 2.1 billion dollars of revenues that they could of earned last year, compared to 274 days of a lockout (which would have been pre-season, the regular season and playoffs, with ESPN's sponsorship deal thrown in for good measure), that comes out to at least 912 dollars A SECOND that the NHL and NHLPA lost this year. They are all fools!
Thanks, but I would be hard pressed to imagine a more useless, irrelevant and incorrect statistic. From the NHL's perspective it is money SAVED. Take the $230 million or so they would have lost without a lockout and divide that up by the number of seconds ...

oildrop

Mar 3, 2002
Visit site
Lost of people seem to think the CBA deal will be announced on July 1st, but I don't think it will be.

Here in Canada, July 1st is Canada Day and I doubt they would announce a deal on this date. Just like they likely wouldn't announce a deal on the 4th of July.

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
oildrop said:
Lost of people seem to think the CBA deal will be announced on July 1st, but I don't think it will be.

Here in Canada, July 1st is Canada Day and I doubt they would announce a deal on this date. Just like they likely wouldn't announce a deal on the 4th of July.
Why?

It seems more likely than not that the deal will be announced as soon as the lawyers sign off on it regardless of the date (the only exception (I think) being the NBA Final)

oildrop

Mar 3, 2002
Visit site
HockeyCritter said:
Why?

It seems more likely than not that the deal will be announced as soon as the lawyers sign off on it regardless of the date (the only exception (I think) being the NBA Final)

Why? Because they are National holidays and not many people in the media would be around those days.

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
That seems a rather trivial reason to not announce a deal . . . . . . Announce the deal when it’s done. If they are that concerned with media exposure, then schedule an extended press conference at a more opportune time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->