What does the team do if we continue to struggle?

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Who could possibly get traded if we are well out of the playoffs?

Eakin and Karlsson are the only options for me, in descending order of likelihood. And I don't think we should trade Karlsson.

Eakin and Karlsson are listed simply because they are not on long term contracts and would fetch something. And are literally the only ones who would have any chance of getting traded (Karlsson much less so).

We aren't trading Marchessault or Tuch, our two most talented players. Pacioretty, Stastny and Haula are injured or not movable right now. Smith probably doesn't get moved. No one else that would be worth trading up front.

Defensively, everyone is locked into long term contracts that we probably aren't looking at moving, slight possibility of Miller, I guess. We don't want to move Fleury.

Personally, I might trade Eakin if we are out of the playoffs and a team wants to pay, since he might be bumped out of the top three lines next year anyway. Karlsson would only be an option if they think he wants more than they want to pay him. I think you try to keep him on the team.

All in all, I would say see what Eakin could get and wait for Glass, Brannstrom and maybe Gusev and a lottery pick next year.

Reactions: VegasKnightlife

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
I think most importantly we need Wild Bill to grow out his hair again, and Eakin can not cut his... In fact the whole team should grow their hair long.

I'm currently at the level of concern. Personal in my opinion hasn't really been the biggest issue this year, we've been unlucky with injuries and some of the players we play are worse than those we are not. The biggest problem has been mental with bad luck thrown in. I don't believe they have confidence in themselves, a bit of adversity and they become softer than paper soaking in water. I'm beginning also to question Gallants last year doesn't matter mantra, yes we don't want them resting on the laurels of last years accomplishments, but I think they need to look back at last year, "This is what we did, this is how we did it and we CAN do it again," Sort of thing....

I'll finish this thought later, we have the Thunder Whooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Another interesting thought, do we call up Brannstrom and burn a year of his ELC to get him to the NHL if he's ready.

Not saying he would be as good as Erik Karlsson but I believe he has outperformed his development cycle at every point so far. He would need to get some NHL games and average a point every other game to continue doing so.

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
We should do a trade right now, preferably a forward for a defender straight up, throw in a player here or there to make the money work if need be.

I don’t see this team making the playoffs if we don’t shake things up a bit. If we don’t go on a win streak soon, even playing in the Pacific won’t matter.

GKG18

Expansion Fan
Jun 25, 2016
Hendertucky
What's the point of bringing up Brannstrom if this is a lost year? If they're testing young players, let's have a look at Dansk...

Reactions: Aurinko

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Our PDO is still .953 so it's almost impossible that the team would continue to struggle in this way.

I can't believe it's lasted 22 games, but it can't go on much longer.

Reactions: Boris Zubov

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
What message do you want to send to the fans, the guys in the locker room, the other teams around the league?

A lot goes to what is the (locker room/front office) CULTURE of VGK? We know based on Shipachyov that the team is based on merit, not favoritism, and willing to draw a line (and stand behind it) when things don't work out. Hard work was the hallmark last season. There was also a (fleeting?) emotional drawing together of the team based on the shared shake up (Golden Misfits, expansion draft) and becoming focal point for region after 10/1/17 (Vegas Strong).

A trade just to check a box is ridiculous. You (usually) trade for need (acquiring missing piece) or "sell" to get something for expiring asset (as described in OP).

Making a trade "because" things aren't good is a bad message in the locker room. Adds to players' anxieties that they could be the one to go if a shake up is needed. (Even with NTC or NMC, there are ways of "pressuring" a player to accept a trade.) (A trade to remove an issue is something else.)

Also, depending on the person traded, what does that mean to other pending UFA/RFA? Could how the deal goes down mean that player won't re-sign with team for any reason?

A GM's job is not easy, regardless of the angst experienced in your personal arm chair. If things aren't going well, most teams will rather trade you an anchor rather than a new engine to help you along the way. So to get what you do "want" (to improve your team), you might have to pay a higher price than if things weren't as dire. (And trading in your division and/or conference may result in higher prices as well.)

1/4 of the season is gone. Schmidt has returned. Need to see how his return helps. Stastny and Haula injuries don't help.

But perhaps the most need right now is either confidence for Subban or a new backup goalie (perhaps recalled from Chicago). Offensive help might be nice, but that's not cheap (unless it's a callup).

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
What message do you want to send to the fans, the guys in the locker room, the other teams around the league?

A lot goes to what is the (locker room/front office) CULTURE of VGK? We know based on Shipachyov that the team is based on merit, not favoritism, and willing to draw a line (and stand behind it) when things don't work out. Hard work was the hallmark last season. There was also a (fleeting?) emotional drawing together of the team based on the shared shake up (Golden Misfits, expansion draft) and becoming focal point for region after 10/1/17 (Vegas Strong).

A trade just to check a box is ridiculous. You (usually) trade for need (acquiring missing piece) or "sell" to get something for expiring asset (as described in OP).

Making a trade "because" things aren't good is a bad message in the locker room. Adds to players' anxieties that they could be the one to go if a shake up is needed. (Even with NTC or NMC, there are ways of "pressuring" a player to accept a trade.) (A trade to remove an issue is something else.)

Also, depending on the person traded, what does that mean to other pending UFA/RFA? Could how the deal goes down mean that player won't re-sign with team for any reason?

A GM's job is not easy, regardless of the angst experienced in your personal arm chair. If things aren't going well, most teams will rather trade you an anchor rather than a new engine to help you along the way. So to get what you do "want" (to improve your team), you might have to pay a higher price than if things weren't as dire. (And trading in your division and/or conference may result in higher prices as well.)

1/4 of the season is gone. Schmidt has returned. Need to see how his return helps. Stastny and Haula injuries don't help.

But perhaps the most need right now is either confidence for Subban or a new backup goalie (perhaps recalled from Chicago). Offensive help might be nice, but that's not cheap (unless it's a callup).

Yeah, I really don't think there's anyone we could (or would want to) bring in to help the team this season. We have possible help next season so I don't expect any big moves for the team bringing in anyone new. This team will have to figure it out and I think they would continue to look at players in the system or whose rights we already own next season.

Maybe they try to go after Panarin in the offseason, I mean if he's a free agent and willing to listen I guess you kind of HAVE to make run.

I was moreover thinking who do we possibly ship out if we're out of the playoff picture. Eakin is having a good season on the ice and his value will likely never be higher if he keeps it up.

I would have put Haula in the same position also, since we have other players we could look for next season but his injury probably means Vegas holds onto him until next season's trade deadline or even re-signs him, depending on how low they can get the AAV.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
What's the point of bringing up Brannstrom if this is a lost year? If they're testing young players, let's have a look at Dansk...

This year can still be salvaged for the team and the playoffs are still possible. We are not far out of the playoffs.

Regardless, if Brannstrom is ready for the NHL now (and it looks like he is) then his development is helped by getting him that experience this year.

You can always send him back down after a few games if he doesn't hit the ground running, he wouldn't have much rope. If he does take to it then keep him up.

Also, Lagace has seemed to be a bit better than Dansk this year and for large parts of last year in the AHL.

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018

I’m not suggesting a trade because things arn’t going good; I’m suggesting a trade to make the team better if opportunity presents.

Such a trade would most likely be a team in the East and in our same position, such as Pitt or Philly, teams expected to do better than they are.

This was a suggestion for a team not in playoff position looking to get there. And this is not something I would necessarily do either. In the long run, missing the playoffs this year would not be such a bad thing for this team.

The worst part about the early success is that the team missing out on many opportunities. An expansion team should be in the Dahlin and Hughes sweepstakes, instead Vegas has been trading away 1st and 2nd round picks.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Let's not trade for anyone until we can figure out why Ryan Reaves is the only player we've traded for that's done worth a damn on the ice while they're here.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
Let's not trade for anyone until we can figure out why Ryan Reaves is the only player we've traded for that's done worth a damn on the ice while they're here.

To be fair, Reaves comes with low expectations, everything he adds besides physicality is gravy.

If Stastny wasn’t hurt perhaps Pacioretty doubles his goals? But the point is valid in that McPhee does not necessarily ‘win’ his trades it seems.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
To be fair, Reaves comes with low expectations, everything he adds besides physicality is gravy.

If Stastny wasn’t hurt perhaps Pacioretty doubles his goals? But the point is valid in that McPhee does not necessarily ‘win’ his trades it seems.
It takes a little while longer to determine who wins any of the trades so far.

I just think it's kind of worth considering that the people we bring in tend to not fit in.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
I’ll say it once and I’ll say it again... let’s get Leipsic back, I think he does a lot of things well, better than currently playing... plus I really like him and keeping me a non paying fan happy is extremely important.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I’ll say it once and I’ll say it again... let’s get Leipsic back, I think he does a lot of things well, better than currently playing... plus I really like him and keeping me a non paying fan happy is extremely important.
We brought him back, he just got less exciting and changed his name to Hyka.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
And yet Hyka has all those games played.

Makes you think.

What the hell are they doing with Hyka while we've got the AHL's two top scorers in Chicago?
It really seems like the coaching culture has changed. Last year was merit based... this year I don’t even know, but when someone like Merrill is still within 500 miles of the team there’s a problem

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
It really seems like the coaching culture has changed. Last year was merit based... this year I don’t even know, but when someone like Merrill is still within 500 miles of the team there’s a problem
Actually that might be one of the biggest issues... last year players had to fight for their position... this year it seems they are given them.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Actually that might be one of the biggest issues... last year players had to fight for their position... this year it seems they are given them.
I agree.

We also had a lot of undrafted guys on the team working their dicks off and making an impact, yet we've got high pick Merrill inexplicably on the team shitting on the ice fairly consistently without getting put in the press box for undrafted (and apparently better) Brad Hunt. We also we ahead and paid out undrafted guys.

We're also not calling guys up to replace people that might suck.

Last year we had Lindberg who kind of snuck into a million games while making like zero impact, this year we have an entire third line doing that and at least one defenseman doing it.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I agree.

We also had a lot of undrafted guys on the team working their dicks off and making an impact, yet we've got high pick Merrill inexplicably on the team ****ting on the ice fairly consistently without getting put in the press box for undrafted (and apparently better) Brad Hunt. We also we ahead and paid out undrafted guys.

We're also not calling guys up to replace people that might suck.

Last year we had Lindberg who kind of snuck into a million games while making like zero impact, this year we have an entire third line doing that and at least one defenseman doing it.

It really is hard for me to see why Carr and Macek haven't been given a look on the team. Especially considering how injured we've been up front. Merrill over Hunt is even more difficult to tell what they are thinking.

By all accounts, Carr seems to have a good reputation with every team he's played on so far. Could they not put both guys in the lineup, if they already have some chemistry, on our third line? At least for a short three game swing to see if it lights a fire under them or other players on the team?

I have given Gallant a lot of leeway to even slightly question what he's doing but this season, it feels like he could be doing more.

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
About Leipsic, he scoresd what 2 goals while he was here? But there was something about the composition, the chemistry of that expansion draft. I think Vegas lost something after he was traded even though he personally was never much of a factor.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
About Leipsic, he scoresd what 2 goals while he was here? But there was something about the composition, the chemistry of that expansion draft. I think Vegas lost something after he was traded even though he personally was never much of a factor.
He had no finish, while he only scored twice in a VGK jersey he really really really should have had alot more. In my somewhat biased eyes though, he was VGK personified and if he could learn to score. But he was quick and tenacious and I think we are lacking that so far this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad