What does the lockout mean for Winnipeg?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacDaddy TLC*

Jets4Life said:
What on earth are you talking about?? The Pan AM Games had nothing to do with building a new arena. When did I say anything about Barry Shankerow? Finally, how is it the people of Winnipeg's fault? Please elaborate! :dunno:

First off, I am very connected to the city of Winnipeg. I have an inside to the financial dealings of the Pan Am games and remember that basically, the city of Winnipeg said there was no money for the hockey team for a new arena because any money that could have been applied to an arena went to building for the games. This was the choice of the people of Winnipeg.

You said in one of your first posts that it was an ownership problem. Barry Shankerow was the owner and he wasn't the problem. http://www.hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=2025241&postcount=4 Here it is and it is unedited at the time of this posting

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
MacDaddy Version 1.3 said:
First off, I am very connected to the city of Winnipeg. I have an inside to the financial dealings of the Pan Am games and remember that basically, the city of Winnipeg said there was no money for the hockey team for a new arena because any money that could have been applied to an arena went to building for the games. This was the choice of the people of Winnipeg.

You said in one of your first posts that it was an ownership problem. Barry Shankerow was the owner and he wasn't the problem. http://www.hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=2025241&postcount=4 Here it is and it is unedited at the time of this posting

First off, Winnipeggers were never asked to choose between the PanAM Games and the Jets. The two events had nothing to do with each other, and it's not like we were given a referendum in 1992 asking us to choose between a new arena or hosting a World competetion. So how did we choose the games over the Jets?

Secondly, it was an ownership problem that forced the Jets to leave the city. Shankerow wanted the Jets to stay in Winnipeg, but he couldn't find a local ownership group that would take the Jets off his hands at the time. As a result, he was forced to look to outside groups, which proved to be one in Arizona. You misunderstood my post.

Last edited:

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
PS....I forgot to congratulate the Kenora Kings on a great playoff run last year in the Northwest Ontario Sponge Hockey League. It's a shame they got knocked out in the semi finals to the Ear Falls Lumberjacks. I heard K-Town was heartbroken, but I'm sure they will do better next year! :joker:

codswallop

yes, i am an alcoholic
Aug 20, 2002
GA
MR. X said:
If anyone compares me to a soccer fan, I am probably going to hit them.

I meant the good aspects of a soccer fan. The incredible passion and support, not some of the behavioral traits.

A great compliment, not meant in the least to be an insult. But I can understand how you see it the bad way.

MacDaddy TLC*

Jets4Life said:
First off, Winnipeggers were never asked to choose between the PanAM Games and the Jets. The two events had nothing to do with each other, and it's not like we were given a referendum in 1992 asking us to choose between a new arena or hosting a World competetion. So how did we choose the games over the Jets?

Secondly, it was an ownership problem that forced the Jets to leave the city. Shankerow wanted the Jets to stay in Winnipeg, but he couldn't find a local ownership group that would take the Jets off his hands at the time. As a result, he was forced to look to outside groups, which proved to be one in Arizona. You misunderstood my post.

I have an inside who worked within 1 the organizations involved. Believe what you want. The ownership problem was a small one compared to the need for an arena, which was the downfall of the Jets due to all funding going to the games and NOT an arena. Your new Guess Who Memorial arena is an American hockey league facility. Winnipeg is a minor league town, barring an absolute collapse of the NHL.

And as far as your shot at Kenora, at least they still have their sponge hockey team, unlike your Jets (who lived up to their name and Jetted!) It's comments like this that lead me to believe in a game of mental chess, you would lose to dancing Gabe. :lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
I have an inside who worked within 1 the organizations involved. Believe what you want. The ownership problem was a small one compared to the need for an arena, which was the downfall of the Jets due to all funding going to the games and NOT an arena. Your new Guess Who Memorial arena is an American hockey league facility. Winnipeg is a minor league town, barring an absolute collapse of the NHL.

And as far as your shot at Kenora, at least they still have their sponge hockey team, unlike your Jets (who lived up to their name and Jetted!) It's comments like this that lead me to believe in a game of mental chess, you would lose to dancing Gabe. :lol

My problem is that you could have just said that Winnipeg might not be econocially viable for the NHL. Instead, you took the low road and insulted the city and its people. I am just sorry I stooped to your level by insulting Kenora. It was immature.

MacDaddy TLC*

Jets4Life said:
My problem is that you could have just said that Winnipeg might not be econocially viable for the NHL. Instead, you took the low road and insulted the city and its people. I am just sorry I stooped to your level by insulting Kenora. It was immature.

Stooped to my level? :lol Listen kid, you insulted Kenora very quickly into this thread. I never insulted Winnipeg and the city (although that dirty, gang infested cespool is worthy of being trashed!). I pointed out some factors that I have an inside knowledge to draw from when talking about why Winnipig failed as a big league city. It is definitely a minor league city. Deal with it.

Dr Love

Mar 22, 2002
Location, Location!
Jets4Life said:
35 000 people came to a almost spontaneous "Save the Jets" rally in 1995. How many cities in ANY professional sport can claim the same?
66,000 people tore apart Cleveland Municpal Stadium when the Browns left in 1995.

kenabnrmal

Feb 28, 2002
the beach or rink
Visit site
Stooped to my level? :lol Listen kid, you insulted Kenora very quickly into this thread. I never insulted Winnipeg and the city (although that dirty, gang infested cespool is worthy of being trashed!). I pointed out some factors that I have an inside knowledge to draw from when talking about why Winnipig failed as a big league city. It is definitely a minor league city. Deal with it.

Winnipeg is hardly dirty and is no more gang-infested than any other canadian center. Congratulations on further lowering the maturity level of the thread.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
I have an inside who worked within 1 the organizations involved.

A few posts ago, I asked you to elaborate. You sidestepped the issue. It could really help us if you were to provide names, groups, or even links. However, you refuse to do so, which leads me to believe you are just blowing hot air. I could say I played golf with George W. Bush last year. On the internet, anyone can make unsubstantiated claims.

MacDaddy TLC*

A family member was a senior management member for one of the organizations (city of Winnipeg, the Jets, the games, or very closely connected to one)

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
I'm going to bring this to the appropriate forum: http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?p=2038724#post2038724
Why don't you just stick with the topic being discussed? This thread was about how the lockout would affect Winnipeg's chances of landing another NHL team. You turned it into a "lets bash Winnipeg" forum. To be honest, I don't really care for your "horrible experiences" in Winnipeg. I have lived here my whole life, and believe it or not, the only time I've been "jumped" by gang members was in Vernon, BC while I was treeplanting during the summer of 99'.

There will always be a very small percentage of people from any given community endlessly bashing their former hometown for no appearant reason. Perhaps you should take a deep look into the mirror and see what the real problem is. Perhaps "the enemy lies from within..."

Many famous people from Winnipeg that now reside elsewhere always mention Winnipeg in a high regard. Burton Cummings, Chris Jericho, Chantal Kreviaziuk, Remy Shand, the Watchmen, Monty Hall, Neil Young, etc. Even most ex-Jets like Bobby Hull, Thomas Steen, Dale hawerchuk, Teemu Selanne, and other lesser-known players look back at Winnipeg in fondness. Even Keith Tkachuk said he would miss playing here when interviewed at the Jets last game. Coming from Tkachuk, that is really saying something.

Last edited:

MacDaddy TLC*

I answered the question, but i will not come out and name my family member who was involved, And the lockout means nothing to Winnipeg because they aren't in the league anymore, never will be again, and never should have been in the first place. You and Dancing gabe can believe what you want, but when you want to join us in reality, maybe you can go and enjoy a Moose game before they Jet too.

MacDaddy TLC*

Jets4Life said:
There will always be a very small percentage of people from any given community endlessly bashing their former hometown for no appearant reason. Perhaps you should take a deep look into the mirror and see what the real problem is. Perhaps "the enemy lies from within..."

:lol You must have thought you were pretty smart when you typed this, but it is quite possible you have watched too much Dr Phil. It makes absolutely no sense at all. Most important point I should make is that I am not from Winnipeg (thank god) and hopefully never step foot in the city again!

Jets4Life said:
Many famous people from Winnipeg that now reside elsewhere always mention Winnipeg in a high regard. Burton Cummings, Chris Jericho, Chantal Kreviaziuk, Remy Shand, the Watchmen, Monty Hall, Neil Young, etc. Even most ex-Jets like Bobby Hull, Thomas Steen, Dale hawerchuk, Teemu Selanne, and other lesser-known players look back at Winnipeg in fondness. Even Keith Tkachuk said he would miss playing here when interviewed at the Jets last game. Coming from Tkachuk, that is really saying something.

And I bet they are all lining up to purchase property in the Northend, where you can pay cash (in loonies) for homes. :lol Check one of the links i provided to find out how Monty Hall feels about Winnipeg (none to flattering)

kenabnrmal

Feb 28, 2002
the beach or rink
Visit site
Since you got your pathetic "lets bash winnipeg" thread shut down, I can't respond to your calling me out there, so I'll do it here. I lived in Winnipeg my entire life and was never touched by gang violence. I don't care where the aboriginal gangs originated...it is a problem, but no bigger a problem than any North American city. You have your good areas and bad areas, plain and simple.

Again, your crusade is pathetic and immature. The topic was the lockout's effect on Winnipeg's chances on getting a team. Not the city's gang problems. Its not a great city, nor terribly exciting, but its hardly the rat-hole you're trying to make it out to be.

You're a better poster than this.

EDIT: and I just poked through your links. Again, nothing new or special there. Take on a personal crusade against any city in North America, you'll find the same thing. I could easily find you an individual that thinks calgary is going to hell...its just that, an individual. Every urban center has its battles. I'm sorry you had a bad experience in Winnipeg, its a shame. Because the city has actually quite a bit to offer.

Last edited:

MacDaddy TLC*

kenabnrmal said:
Since you got your pathetic "lets bash winnipeg" thread shut down,

I didn't get it shut down; someone making racial comments got it shut down.

My problem is someone making ridiculous comments about a wonderful small town like kenora (and I have no connection to Kenora other than driving through it), and knocking that town when they live in a place that has some serious crime issues. If given the choice of where to live, I would take the small town where I have a better chance of seeing my children live in a safe environment.

MacDaddy TLC*

Buffaloed said:
Stick to the topic of the impact of the lockout on Winnipeg's chances for an NHL team or this thread will be closed.

The impact of the lockout on Winnipeg will be limited to the Vancouver Canucks sending better players to the Manitoba Moose for this season and maybe next. The NHL will not be returning to Winnipeg, and Winnipeg mustn't have thought they had a chance because they built a new arena suited for AMERICAN! LEAGUE HOCKEY. 15 000 seats is not an NHL quality building, if you look at what the members of the National Hockey league have built over the last decade.

No team has seriously courted Winnipeg as a possibility for moving their franchise to Manitoba. It was a ploy, a negotiating tool in an attempt to gain bargaining power within their local area 9when attempting to get funds for a new building) They would never move to Winnipeg because the arena is too small; the town already failed to deliver the goods for an NHL team (only twice managed to go over the average attendance). Winnipeg just doesn't have the resources to support a major league pro sports franchise. They are a good minor league town.

kenabnrmal

Feb 28, 2002
the beach or rink
Visit site
I didn't get it shut down; someone making racial comments got it shut down.

My problem is someone making ridiculous comments about a wonderful small town like kenora (and I have no connection to Kenora other than driving through it), and knocking that town when they live in a place that has some serious crime issues. If given the choice of where to live, I would take the small town where I have a better chance of seeing my children live in a safe environment.

Kenora has two faces, a summer face and a winter face. Winnipeggers, for the most part, know much about both faces. In the summer, as you say, its a wonderful, pretty small town. In the winter...

Most Winnipeggers have more experience and connection with Kenora than just driving through.

To get on-topic, I don't see Kenora scoring an NHL franchise anytime soon...

KariyaIsGod*

http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3096572

Good article about NHL attendance. If Winnipeg drew 15, 500 per game the wouldn't be far under most teams, hell they'd be higher than most teams.

To say it's not feasible is ridiculous. They could easily come up with a way to close the revenue gap and make up for the 1-2,000 less seats they have. The economic situation in Winnipeg is continually improving especailly with a business man as mayor.

The idea of Winnipeg getting a team, especially if Canada's dollar can stay above 75 cents US is viable to say the least...

YellHockey*

DrMoses said:
If Winnipeg drew 15, 500 per game the wouldn't be far under most teams, hell they'd be higher than most teams.

There wouldn't be a team in the NHL that wouldn't sell more playoff tickets in the NHL.

And what are the most profitable games for an NHL franchise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->