WJC: What does the IIHF need to do to make the World Juniors more popular in Europe?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Looking back at past World Junior tournaments that have been played acros Europe the areans are not always filled to capacity, although I am sure the exception is when the host country is playing. So since the 2013 being played in Russia and 2014 going to Sweeden, if those don't do well like the most recent ones in Ottawa, Saskatoon, Buffalo, Edmonton/Calgary, (I am including them because you know they will do very well) will it be along time until Europe hosts another World Juniors? I know they say Canada gets it to host every 3 years or however it is, but since Canada is the only country that cares about them the most would the IIHF conisder giving it to us a lot more often?

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
Get a sports channel in each of their countries to hype it to extreme levels for years until it becomes part of the hockey routine.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Sure, why not let you host it more. It will be more enjoyable for us to see your teams choking under the pressure again and whine fest that will ensue here afterwards.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
Sure, why not let you host it more. It will be more enjoyable for us to see your teams choking under the pressure again and whine fest that will ensue here afterwards.

You don't have to watch it on TV. If it was held in Finland, you could go to the games and watch us lose the gold medal...

Your team could watch, too, like they almost always do.

What did they give your guys for sixth place, while we're on the topic? Canada always plays for gold, so I have no idea. Do they give out a tin medal or just a participation ribbon? Just wonderin'.

:D

Muuri

Nov 14, 2009
You don't have to watch it on TV. If it was held in Finland, you could go to the games and watch us lose the gold medal...

Your team could watch, too, like they almost always do.

What did they give your guys for sixth place, while we're on the topic? Canada always plays for gold, so I have no idea. Do they give out a tin medal or just a participation ribbon? Just wonderin'.

:D

They gave us "The best hockey country with population of only 5 million which about 80% don`t care about hockey" trophy.

Muuri

Nov 14, 2009
Then, Germany should get "The best hockey country with population of only 82 million which about 99% don`t care about hockey" trophy.

I wouldn`t be against it.

As for the thread question:
Most of European teams don`t do too well in this tournament. Only Russia and Sweden have a chance to medal unless something weird happens. There`s no reason for other countries to get excited over this tournament.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Canada should let European teams win more often. :)

I think that Eurpoeans doesnt look at junior sports as a "real" competition, more like childs play, but now that the World champs has been so watered down, WJC has gained in popularity at least here in Sweden.

CPFC

Sep 12, 2004
I wouldn`t be against it.

As for the thread question:
Most of European teams don`t do too well in this tournament. Only Russia and Sweden have a chance to medal unless something weird happens. There`s no reason for other countries to get excited over this tournament.

This. Besides, junior sports are not a big deal in Europe. We don't have anything that compares to the NCAA system or the CHL in Canada.

Personally I've always found it a bit odd how people get so aggravated and hyped up over a tournament which basically involves kids.

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.
This. Besides, junior sports are not a big deal in Europe. We don't have anything that compares to the NCAA system or the CHL in Canada.

Personally I've always found it a bit odd how people get so aggravated and hyped up over a tournament which basically involves kids.

How do the FIFA U-20 & U-17 tournaments do in Europe?

KRM

Jun 9, 2005
Gothenburg
Looking back at past World Junior tournaments that have been played acros Europe the areans are not always filled to capacity, although I am sure the exception is when the host country is playing. So since the 2013 being played in Russia and 2014 going to Sweeden, if those don't do well like the most recent ones in Ottawa, Saskatoon, Buffalo, Edmonton/Calgary, (I am including them because you know they will do very well) will it be along time until Europe hosts another World Juniors? I know they say Canada gets it to host every 3 years or however it is, but since Canada is the only country that cares about them the most would the IIHF conisder giving it to us a lot more often?

We acknowledge Canada as centre of universe, we awe your perfection in every aspect as a nation.

The Saw Is the Law

Jul 31, 2010
It would help a lot if Europeans can watch the games. People really don't want to woke up 3 AM to see a junior game. I Really hope they make schedule so we don't have to woke up 3 am... I'll be watching no matter time but most of Europeans continue sleeping. Next tournament is 4th straight in NA.

Also TV systems fail in Finland. Games are on pay tv witch sucks. MTV3 MAX broadcast quality is horrible. TSN.ca streams doesn't work in Finland. Luckily there are some streams but quality sucks and you cant see jersey numbers.

Muuri

Nov 14, 2009
Bigger mystery is why Canadians like this tournament so much. Could it actually be because their team is successful in it ;)?

Dosing

Sep 10, 2010
Edenryd
Funnily enough anyone 18yrs and older is considered an adult in your country. Is it really their age or the fact your team is unlikely to win?

We're sorry you thought every1 considered this tournament big...:sarcasm:

Oh and a good start would be letting each countrys tv stations show all the "small" games that tsn wont bother with if you want popularity ;)

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
I think it cannot become much more popular. Hockey isn't such big sport as in Canada and WJC can never reach the same interest as mens hockey or bigger.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Also TV systems fail in Finland. Games are on pay tv witch sucks. MTV3 MAX broadcast quality is horrible. TSN.ca streams doesn't work in Finland. Luckily there are some streams but quality sucks and you cant see jersey numbers.

The streams for the USA - game and the quarterfinal game were better quality than the ones at MTV3's Katsomo.

Metalcommand

Mar 3, 2010
It would gain popularity if it were shown on free TV in Finland. The casual hockey fan doesnt often even know the tournament is going on.

BobDobolina

Jan 11, 2010
NYC
First of all it's Sweden, not Sweeden.

Maybe the best way to make it more popular is to host it there more? Hard to blame anyone for not caring when the games are on in the middle of the night.

steve141

Aug 13, 2009
Most European countries don't have the same tradition of watching junior sports as the US and Canada. College football and basketball are a big thing in the US. There is nothing comparable in Sweden.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Most European countries don't have the same tradition of watching junior sports as the US and Canada. College football and basketball are a big thing in the US. There is nothing comparable in Sweden.

No one in the United States cares either. College football and basketball are huge, but all other college sports (including hockey) are pretty much niche products. And international tournaments based around junior-age sports are even less followed.

wwvdw

Dec 22, 2009
Sweden
I think the main reason this is not bigger in Europe is because most of these players will never play in "our" league. For people in Canada and the US most of these players have just been or will be drafted. That is what makes it fun to watch these games for fans of these teams. Its a chance to watch prospects before they arrive at their NHL teams.

But why would a Swedish hockey fan that only follows Swedish hockey watch a match between Russia and Czech Republic? If you're not very interested in hockey its a just a match with a bunch of players you've never heard of. Ofcourse there's people in Europe that follow the NHL intensively but these are in the minority compared to the ones following the national leagues.

In short, I don't think its possible to create the same amount of interest in Europe as their is in Canada (when its not the home-nation playing).

cenas*

Funnily enough anyone 18yrs and older is considered an adult in your country. Is it really their age or the fact your team is unlikely to win?

Don't you get Finland is pretty unlikely to win any kind of competition. Still we watch. Unlike North Americans we don't only watch games where we'll win most of the time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad