What does "number of games over .500" mean?

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
However imo the half of the available points definition is incorrect in the NHL as some games a total 2 points are awarded whereas other games a total of 3 points are. If you only look at one team the definition holds true. However it ignores the fact 3 point games exist. The only way I would ever use the half the available points definition was if I were to include all 30 teams to account for 3 point games.

No, it's correct. You're confusing the number of points available in total with the maximum number of points that one team can get.

Just because a game awards a total of three points does not mean that a given team can earn more than two points in the game.

And if the Blackhawks have played in ten games and have earned ten points, then they have earned 50% of the points available to them.

youvegotit

Dec 10, 2011
No, it's correct. You're confusing the number of points available in total with the maximum number of points that one team can get.

Just because a game awards a total of three points does not mean that a given team can earn more than two points in the game.

And if the Blackhawks have played in ten games and have earned ten points, then they have earned 50% of the points available to them.

I'm not confused, I understand that you are talking about .500 as equaling half the number of points one team can get. My issue is the sum all 30 of the maximum number of points one team can get does not equal the total points available. This should be a mathematical impossibility.

Anyways this article explains my rationale as to what I think .500 constitutes when taking about points earned which is probably much easier then me trying to explain it

Bear of Bad News

Sep 27, 2005
I'm not confused, I understand that you are talking about .500 as equaling half the number of points one team can get. My issue is the sum all 30 of the maximum number of points one team can get does not equal the total points available. This should be a mathematical impossibility.

Using the term "mathematical impossibility" is a bit of a lark - mathematics is built upon axioms, and the NHL's points system does not violate any axioms inherent to mathematics.

If you say "aesthetic impossibility", then I'd support you fully. Although it wouldn't carry the heft of the (false) statement.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
It appears the confusion arises from the difference between 'playing .500' and 'playing average'

In a scoring system like the NHLs .500 is not necessarily an average team.

In the MLB, NBA and NFL a .500 club is, by definition, average. In MLB and the NBA there are only wins and losses. In the NFL there are ties but they're worth exactly half a win and half a loss and are awarded to both teams.

However, in the NHL we have overtime losses and thus a team that earns exactly half of their available points may not be average. In practice a .500 team is always below average.

Currently this year (as of last ESPN standings update) the average NHL team has earned 30.1(6) points, however that doesn't change the fact that .500 ranges from 24 points (for Dallas) and 29 points for (Anaheim and Vancouver).

Although .500 and average can be used interchangeably in other major sports and thus often becomes interchangeable in people's minds in all circumstances, that's not always true. In the NHL they are fundamentally different.

youvegotit

Dec 10, 2011
Using the term "mathematical impossibility" is a bit of a lark - mathematics is built upon axioms, and the NHL's points system does not violate any axioms inherent to mathematics.

If you say "aesthetic impossibility", then I'd support you fully. Although it wouldn't carry the heft of the (false) statement.

Agree to disagree. Since our definitions of what constitutes .500 differ.

I define .500 by winning percentage instead of point percentage and in no way, shape or form consider them equivalent to one another in the NHL.
My rationale for this is that a .500 team (by winning percentage) is always better than or equal to a .500 team (by point percentage) in the NHL.

Bear of Bad News

Sep 27, 2005
Agree to disagree. Since our definitions of what constitutes .500 differ.

I define .500 by winning percentage instead of point percentage and in no way, shape or form consider them equivalent to one another. My rationale for this is that a .500 team (by winning percentage) is always better than or equal to a .500 team (by point percentage) in the NHL.

Please give me your rigorous definition. It's difficult to have a conversation when terms are not defined.

Is it (wins achieved) divided by (wins available)? (Noting that the latter is equal to games played?)

youvegotit

Dec 10, 2011
Please give me your rigorous definition. It's difficult to have a conversation when terms are not defined.

Is it (wins achieved) divided by (wins available)? (Noting that the latter is equal to games played?)

Winning Percentage = Wins / Games Played

Is that rigorous enough for you :help:

Bear of Bad News

Sep 27, 2005
Winning Percentage = Wins / Games Played

Is that rigorous enough for you :help:

It was an honest question - I'm sorry that it offended you. In a thread where the entire premise is folks using different definitions, it seems like a pretty straightforward question.

If you're counting OTW and SOW in your definition (see how definitions are important?), then your method equates to "0.500" being equal to "average", per one definition.

Feb 12, 2003
I guess I had it all wrong, I picked 5. My logic was thinking that in 10 games a 5-5 is .500, so 10-0 is +5 games over .500.

I personally thinking that saying a 10-0 team is 10 games over .500 is false. That logic is like saying a team that is 20-10 is 10 games over .500 but .500 for 30 games is 15, not 10.

I can be wrong, it doesn't bother me, but I'm not sold on the concept.

Bonk

May 18, 2007
Cincinnati

The thing that bothers me is when a fan says their 12-12-6 team is .500.

YES! I was arguing with someone over this very point yesterday and had to find this post.

Even people who should know better, like announcers and writers do this and it drives me nuts!

Bonk

May 18, 2007
Cincinnati
It appears the confusion arises from the difference between 'playing .500' and 'playing average'

In a scoring system like the NHLs .500 is not necessarily an average team.

In the MLB, NBA and NFL a .500 club is, by definition, average. In MLB and the NBA there are only wins and losses. In the NFL there are ties but they're worth exactly half a win and half a loss and are awarded to both teams.

However, in the NHL we have overtime losses and thus a team that earns exactly half of their available points may not be average. In practice a .500 team is always below average.

Currently this year (as of last ESPN standings update) the average NHL team has earned 30.1(6) points, however that doesn't change the fact that .500 ranges from 24 points (for Dallas) and 29 points for (Anaheim and Vancouver).

Although .500 and average can be used interchangeably in other major sports and thus often becomes interchangeable in people's minds in all circumstances, that's not always true. In the NHL they are fundamentally different.

Which is why in the post-tie era I always refer to a team's record as 41-41, etc. An overtime/shootout loss is still a loss and not a tie.

Bear of Bad News

Sep 27, 2005
Which is why in the post-tie era I always refer to a team's record as 41-41, etc. An overtime/shootout loss is still a loss and not a tie.

There is no longer a "tie" column in the NHL standings.

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL
Well, yeah, something like that makes sense. It's comical to spin teams with such a record as being above .500, but that's what the NHL wants to sell you on, I guess.

Bonk

May 18, 2007
Cincinnati
But then two 12-18 teams can have dramatically different spots in the standings, which is awkward and silly.

12-18-0 vs 12-0-18

Exactly. It is both awkward and silly, which is why I'm not at all a fan of this points system. It defies basic math and common sense.

New Jersey (17-24 with 8 OTL) and the NY Rangers (20-21 with 2 OTL) have the same number of points because NYR has lost eight times in OT/SOs and NJ just twice.

Why are teams rewarded for being bad in overtime and skills contests?

Last edited:

Bonk

May 18, 2007
Cincinnati
On a separate note, I really like what the NCHC in the NCAA does.

Win (regulation or OT) = 3 points
Tied at the end of OT = 1 point
Loss (regulation or OT) = 0 points

They have shootouts (which I'm not a fan of, but it's not going away), but the shootout winner gets a total of two points.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->