What does NHL ready actually mean?

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Well ..in our chase for the "needed" top 4 ( or is it topD-man) there seems to be a lot of pressure on Stan to get this kind of elusive prey given our current need on D...so the keys give up the moon for Karlsson or the "at least settle for a much cheaper Justin Faulk . And still give up Moore picks and prospects or a roster up and come to do it.. to which I say..No ..do not mortgage anymore young rising kids or Future top picks .

OK then how do we full our need this season. .All bets on Jokiharju making the show and impacting enough to be this "solution".

BUT the skeptics say..is he "ready"? Hawks say they are giving him a legit chance to take that spot..but he must show he is "ready"..

"Ready" for what? For simply playing lesser 3rd pairing role to "ease in" as per Q do not trust kid d-men such that even lesser 3rd pairing minutes and easier role makes little sense if he is supposed to be eventual top 4 let alone top pair d-men solution?

The response from most would be that he should rather play 25th -30 minutes top pairing and all situations in Rockford to improve to "readiness" for top pairing or 2nd pairing in the show .
And even if he does that. .Q still will never trust him till he puts in 2 seasons on 3rd pairing in Chicago..

So conclusion is he is not going to be "ready" under Q for 3 more seasons yet!

Meanwhile we are supposed to give up the moon for Mr -25 (Erik Karlsson albeit with his 60+ points or better if he returns ever to full form) or For half the prosuctionnornless from Mr.-256 Justin Faulk who never could prevent goals going in against and has trended downovefvtge last season's. .But these atrocious +/- stats for them are OK because they are "ready" ...and have been "ready" for many years I the show.

Bottom line..we could pay Jokiharju with our own Mr. -29 *Keith) and if he finished -29;too he would be said not to be "ready" even though Jokiharju could put up probably a similar number of points ts as Faulk would ..or maybe even match thev60+ of Karlsson from last season if he played 25 + minutes and got pp #1 unit time.

So the question is actually NOT about whether Jokiharju is ready defensively ..because you see that d-men with big negative plus minus stats in the high 20s are OK "ready" as long as they produce 38-62 points ...Can Jokiharju do that ? If he can then the defensive flaws do not really matter because look at the demand for Faulkner Karlsson. ..Faulk who career wise has always stunk in defending his own zone..snd Karlsson without his stay at home defensive d-mann partner (Methot was that ) simply reverted back to being useless in his own zone preventing pucks going in against.

I would suggest Jokiharju might be better than both of them defensively ..but if not ..he would need to be on a -40 pace to be not as "ready" in his d-zone and I cannot see that ...He will not be that bad in any +/- ...
So it simply comes down to production off sively..if he can impact in scoring g then there bis no pint putting g him I the show..if he can impact offer so Ely then we gotta play him..the +/' may matter only to Q ..but if he tolerated -29 from his trusted vet Keith .he should not condemn -29; if that is all Jokiharju can be now...so as long as we get 38 -62 points from Jokiharju he should be used in out top two or top 4 D.

Reactions: Rolo

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
"NHL Ready" prospects means trafficking in hope and thus, selling more tickets. Isn't that what the all professional drafts are about? Hope mongering to a fan base. There's no guarantee a draftee meets expectations ... even high picks. In fact, most come woefully short.

Pretty much all "draft lingo" was made up by professional teams to sell hope and thus, tickets. Sadly, fans eat it up ... including myself.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
There's a difference between NHL ready, and ready to be IMPACTFUL at the NHL level.

An increasing number of young players are NHL ready soon after draft... but very few of those are ready to jump into a team's top 6 or top 4 and make an impact.

That's changing, as developmental leagues get better and the NHL skews younger, we're going to get to a point where any 1st round pick should be expected to play the next season. But we're not there yet.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
There's a difference between NHL ready, and ready to be IMPACTFUL at the NHL level.

An increasing number of young players are NHL ready soon after draft... but very few of those are ready to jump into a team's top 6 or top 4 and make an impact.

That's changing, as developmental leagues get better and the NHL skews younger, we're going to get to a point where any 1st round pick should be expected to play the next season. But we're not there yet.

There’s not going to be 32 eighteen year olds ready to make the jump every year.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
I think you'll see more of it but I have a hard time seeing things ever being to the point where 32 1st Round Picks are walking into the league immediately every single year, let alone having a significant impact. My money's confidently on whatever the Under is for that bet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad