What does Lidstrom have to do to be considered better than Bourque?

Status
Not open for further replies.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
(ab+cd)/ac = 3.23
(ef+gh)/eg = 1.31
(ab+ef)/ae = 2.17
(cd+gh)/cg = 1.81
a+c+e+g = 46
(ab+cd+ef+gh)/46 = 1.96

Solve those equations for all 8 variables and we have the answer.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
For those of you arguing about the flaws of the HOH Top 100 list, participate in the next iteration.

This is not the time nor the place.

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
IMO that bias is why Lidstrom got screwed out maybe 2 more Norris's. If had 8 and going for #9 this year this thread would not be here today.

That wouldn't change anything. Had Bourque played during the same era, he would have a dozen of Norris and Lidstrom would have 3-4 of them at most. Bourque's prime was clearly longer and superipr than Lidstrom's prime, this is what makes him above Lidstrom.

ekcut

The Refs shot JFK.
Jul 25, 2007
Edmonton
(ab+cd)/ac = 3.23
(ef+gh)/eg = 1.31
(ab+ef)/ae = 2.17
(cd+gh)/cg = 1.81
a+c+e+g = 46
(ab+cd+ef+gh)/46 = 1.96

Solve those equations for all 8 variables and we have the answer.

Is this a legitmate question? I thought i'd see if there was an actual answer before trying to tackle it.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
I think it's a valid point when just looking at number of Norris Trophies. Bourque's prime coincided with those of Leetch, Stevens, Macinnis, Chelios, Howe, Coffey, etc. Whereas Lidstrom has been winning his Norris Trophies against Pronger, Boyle, Chara, Niedermayer, etc.

It's hard to argue against Bourque having greater competition, especially in the late 80s and early 90s when he won 4 in 5 years. Not to take away from Lidstrom's accomplishments at all: winning 6 Norris Trophies in 7 seasons is an absolutely absurd testament to his consistent greatness and domination over his peers.

But I don't think people should point to Lidstrom's 6 Norris Trophies and Bourque's 5 and say that Lidstrom has more, and therefore he accomplished more. That's a cop-out argument.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Is this a legitmate question? I thought i'd see if there was an actual answer before trying to tackle it.

Yes, this is a legitimate question and yes, I believe there is a solution. It's based on some approximations so the answer may also have to be a "best fit" answer but I do think we have enough "known" information to solve for all variables.

basically 3.23 is orr's "on ice" GF:GA ratio, this includes the time he spent with and without Espo.
2.17 is the same thing, but for Espo.
1.31 is the Bruins without Orr, this includes some time without Espo, but how much?
1.81 is the Bruins without Espo, this includes some time without Orr, but how much?
46 is a default number based on the average amount of time spent at ES in a game.
1.96 is the Bruins' team ES GF: Ratio, so the weighted averages of all four situations should equal this.

Anksun

Dec 13, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
If Lindstrom was canadian born, and blah blah blah.

completely ridiculous.

You're matching him against a defenseman who finished his career with 1759 pts and you get offended because 7 out of 10 people thinks that defenseman was better?

1759 pts, almost a ppg defenseman over 22 years... while been great defensively (maybe not against Mario, but no one was ;) )

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
At this point it seems that both sides have stated their opinions on the Bourque vs. Lidstrom issue (AGAIN), so how about looking at it a different way...

In the last HOH Top 100 the following players were ranked after Bourque in this order...

Howie Morenz
Dominik Hasek
Jaques Plante
Patrick Roy
Stan Mikita
Red Kelly
Nicklas Lidstrom

Forget about Bourque. Which of these players has Lidstrom passed? For the ones you don't think he has passed yet, what will he have to do to pass them?

At this point, I take Lidstrom ahead of Red Kelly without a second thought. I'd have to think for a second about ranking Lidstrom ahead of Mikita, but I'd do it with complete confidence.

The goalies are tough.

Morenz was arguably the best player of the first 50 years of hockey, so I'd probably keep him ahead of Lidstrom. But then, there's a good chance I'd rank Morenz over both Bourque and Shore, as well.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
But when he's being compared against, say, Ray Bourque and Denis Potvin, it's likely that those guys faced the other team's best as well, although there aren't any numbers to back that up. So I'm not sure Lidstrom should get any extra credit for facing the other team's best when comparing him to Bourque or Potvin. I'm also not sure how long Lidstrom has been playing that role...was he facing the opposition's best in 2000? 1996?

Since 1997-98, the year after Konstantinov's accident, Lidstrom has faced the best competition as far as I'm aware. Before then, I'm not sure.

CC Chiefs*

If Lindstrom was canadian born, and blah blah blah.

completely ridiculous.

You're matching him against a defenseman who finished his career with 1759 pts and you get offended because 7 out of 10 people thinks that defenseman was better?

1759 pts, almost a ppg defenseman over 22 years... while been great defensively (maybe not against Mario, but no one was ;) )

Wasn't he in the NHL when Gretzky was putting up a big part of his 2500 points? Which tells me scoring was up.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Wasn't he in the NHL when Gretzky was putting up a big part of his 2500 points? Which tells me scoring was up.

Wasn't Bourque played mainly in Boston, who played in the Adams division and in which scoring was lower than in the other divisions?

Rhiessan71

Just a Fool
Feb 17, 2003
Guelph, Ont
Visit site
I love the "Canadian bias" crap that people fling around so easily.

I find it hilarious that most of the people accused of it in this thread are the same people, along with myself, that will not put Crosby ahead of Jagr yet nor do many of us put Roy ahead of Hasek overall either.

Funny stuff though

God forbid that after actually watching the full career's of both Bourque and Lidstrom we believe that Bourque's was better and the more impressive of the two.

Also funny how the vast majority of people that actually saw both players in their entirety pick Bourque.
Must be nostalgia :sarcasm:

Last edited:

overg

Dec 15, 2003
Indianapolis, IN
Visit site
Since 1997-98, the year after Konstantinov's accident, Lidstrom has faced the best competition as far as I'm aware. Before then, I'm not sure.

Lidstrom was probably facing first line competition no later than '95, when he was paired with Coffey during his final Norris season. Having said that, Konstantinov also saw a ton of the opposition's best between that time and his injury. Lidstrom and Konstantinov basically split the duty, depending upon the type of match-up that Bowman wanted.

danincanada

Feb 11, 2008
I love the "Canadian bias" crap that people fling around so easily.

I find it hilarious that most of the people accused of it in this thread are the same people, along with myself, that will not put Crosby ahead of Jagr yet nor do many of us put Roy ahead of Hasek overall either.

Funny stuff though

God forbid that after actually watching the full career's of both Bourque and Lidstrom we believe that Bourque's was better and the more impressive of the two.

Also funny how the vast majority of people that actually saw both players in their entirety pick Bourque.
Must be nostalgia :sarcasm:

Bob McKenzie and Scotty Bowman both saw their entire careers too and I think more of their opinions than yours and they seem to pick Lidstrom over Bourque.

No one has addressed the fact that Bourque was a +528 in his career during the season and only +5 in his career during the playoffs. +/- isn't everything but those numbers kind of stand out to me.

Lidstrom was better come playoff time and won a Conn Smythe, won more Norris', and most seem to agree he was better defensively. He also faced the best of the best his entire career while Bourque didn't start facing Russians until half way through his career.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Lidstrom was probably facing first line competition no later than '95, when he was paired with Coffey during his final Norris season. Having said that, Konstantinov also saw a ton of the opposition's best between that time and his injury. Lidstrom and Konstantinov basically split the duty, depending upon the type of match-up that Bowman wanted.

I thought it basically went that Konstantinov faced off primarily against players that Bowman felt would crumble against Konstantinov's physical confrontation and Lidstrom played against players who relished in physical play.

Because Lidstrom could negate it without taking the beating himself.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Drifting

The thread is drifting but still it is interesting.

Basically Orr, Harvey, Lidstrom, Bourque and Potvin were LHS post Red Line so the comparison are in line. Shore was a RHS pre Red Line so his defensive play cannot be viewed in the same light.

Lidstrom is the only one of the group under consideration who played exclusively during the short shift era. Bourque's career stradled it. If you do not see the difference run a 100m dash then run a 1500 course. Stamina and pace become factors. Also helps explain Lidstroms relatively injury free career to other defensemen.

Also at age 39-40 Bourque was playing more minutes per game, marginally more than Lidstrom

BTW Konstantinov was a RHS which Bowman factored into certain decisions.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
you do understand that you did not answer the question that was asked at all. HO wondered if you, in line with this thinking that you only repeated, consider Bourque in the same ballpark as Orr aswell?

Orr has the best peak and prime of any Dman but the separation of best Dman of all time between Orr, Lidstrom, Bourque and Potvin isn't as Great as some make it out to be. all 4 are pretty close in their own separate way and should not be listed liek this

Orr

the rest

like so many do on these boards, IMO.

overg

Dec 15, 2003
Indianapolis, IN
Visit site
I thought it basically went that Konstantinov faced off primarily against players that Bowman felt would crumble against Konstantinov's physical confrontation and Lidstrom played against players who relished in physical play.

Because Lidstrom could negate it without taking the beating himself.

It wasn't really that cut and dried, because during most games Bowman trusted both enough to play against practically anyone. They'd basically split shifts against the top lines, because Bowman had the luxury of conserving both their energy.

Having said that, you're not exactly wrong either, as there were certain players both defensemen were regularly responsible for. For instance, Jeremy Roenick hated Konstantinov with a burning passion, and thus it was no coincidence that Vlad spent a lot of time matching him. By the same token, Lidstrom was so in Tkachuk's head he may have single handedly created his legacy as a poor playoff performer.

Interestingly enough, pre '97 finals, it was always Vladdy who went against Lindros. And he pretty much got squashed every time. He'd throw himself at Lindros like he threw himself at everyone, and would generally just go splat against the much, much bigger Lindros.

Dark Shadows

Jun 19, 2007
Canada
www.robotnik.com
Bob McKenzie and Scotty Bowman both saw their entire careers too and I think more of their opinions than yours and they seem to pick Lidstrom over Bourque.
Scotty Bowman also seems to think Larry Robinson is the next best in Longevity after Lidstrom among defensemen(Which is just plain wrong). Clearly he thinks highly of players he has coached.

No one has addressed the fact that Bourque was a +528 in his career during the season and only +5 in his career during the playoffs. +/- isn't everything but those numbers kind of stand out to me.
+/- is highly irrelevant unless taken in context with the team you have on the ice with you. The other 5 players matter just as much to +/-. Lidstrom's +/- was certainly not hurt by having several of the best offensively + defensively gifted two way Selke players in the league on the ice with him at almost all times.

Lidstrom was better come playoff time and won a Conn Smythe, won more Norris', and most seem to agree he was better defensively. He also faced the best of the best his entire career while Bourque didn't start facing Russians until half way through his career.
I would say they were close to equal in performance come playoff time. Lidstrom certainly has a better resume, but Bourque was excellent in the playoffs and was certainly the leading Candidate for the Conn Smythe in both Bruins trips to the finals where his team had the misfortune to face the Dynasty Oilers. Particularly in the 1990 finals.

Bourque was tallied a goal or assist on 5 of Boston's 8 goals(1PP, 4 ES) in the entire series and made another goal happen with his legendary outlet pass, although he was not credited with an assist. Pretty horrendous offense from the Bruins outside of Captain Ray Bourque. Neely and Janney both held goalless for the series. When your top line scorers are being held off the sheet and the opposing team is scoring at will when you are on the bench, no matter who you are, you cannot force a win.

A grand total of 5 ES points while Bourque was on the ice, and yet despite the fact that the Oilers outscored the Bruins 20-8 in the series, 17-7 at ES, Bourque was only -1, despite playing 30+ minutes a game. As another member already said, the majority of the time when a series is going this lopsided, the guy who logs the most icetime against the opposing teams top forwards almost always has the worse +/-. In this case, it proves he was stellar defensively, and that while he was on the ice was virtually the only time his team was scoring and keeping pucks out of the net. All of the while, the Oilers primary strategy was to shut down Bourque above all other players.

His other performances were equally stunning. Particularly in his team carrying 1987-88 playoff performance(Once again running into the Dynasty Oilers),

Or in the 91 Conference finals, in which he was amazing. 2 games up on the Penguins, and then several problems struck the team at once. First being obviously Neely getting kneed by Samuelsson and thus making him ineffectual for the rest of the series(Losing a guy who has a goal per game on a team with low scoring depth hurts). Second, the fact that several members of the team caught the flu, including Moog. Third, losing Poulin to a groin pull(best forward Pker). Fourth. Stupid Coaching. Milbury decided to insert 3 goons into the lineup to get even, and in doing so, the bruins gameplan was shattered.

Bourque was a phenomenal, Conn Smythe Caliber playoff performer (Many many times)who had the misfortune to be on a far weaker, worse coached team that lacked depth. Lidstrom is a phenomenal Conn Smythe worthy player who had the fortune of playing on a team loaded with Hall of famers, Selke winners and extreme Depth, coached by some of the greatest of all time. His playoff resume may look better for it, but make no mistake at how invaluable Bourque was to the Bruins.
---------------------------------------------------

Ahh, the simple Norris counting begins again. He won more Norris trophies due to weaker competition at the position. Simple as that. For all the times people harp on how Lidstrom was robbed of a trophy here and there, there are an equal amount of times(if not more) one could say the same of Bourque getting a strange decision.

Take one of Lidstrom's best seasons and transplant it to 1983-84. At this point, the voters were voting a purely defensive genius with next to no offense to the Norris in Rod Langway, and giving the runner up to a purely offensive wizard in Paul Coffey(Although Bourque edged Coffey in All star nomination). I do not see Lidstrom in any season he ever had winning on this year. Just a few years ago, many were losing their minds over Green placing higher in voting than Lidstrom because they felt that all around play was more important.

We all know about the 1990 Fiasco where Bourque was left off 6 Ballots for the Hart. Him and Messier tied in 1st place votes for the Hart, Bourque had more second place votes. But those 6 voters who left him off even the third place vote cost him the Hart.

Or look at 1992-93, a year in which Bourque placed runner up to Chelios, despite scoring 9 more points in 6 less games and Chelios had nearly 300 minutes of Penalties(And since you like the stat, a far better +/-).

Or another Chelios Norris win in 1995-96, in which Bourque actually had more 1st place Norris votes, but lost by a teeny margin due to a few less later votes. Mind you, I think Chelios played phenomenally and deserved his Norris trophy over Bourque this season. But it shows just how close the vote was. thinking of how Chelios came extremely close to the Norris over Lidstrom in 01-02 while being less of a player than he used to be. Well, that speaks volumes.
----------------------------------
Regarding who was better defensively? Yes most would give the edge to Lidstrom. But it is Razor close. Bourque was a wizard defensively and very close to Lidstrom in that regard. Closer than the offensive Edge Bourque possesses. A defenseman who holds the record for most times leading a team in scoring mind you. Something Lidstrom has never ever done.
-------------------
The last is irrelevant. Even After the Russians and several other countries started a stronger presence in the NHL, Bourque was still at the top of the defenseman list. His decline in top 3 Norris voting at age 37 had more to do with the absolutely terrible team around him than any other factor. Losing teams do not often get Candidates for trophies. Most telling was his sudden jump back to Norris runner up in his final season once he was on a team as good as Lidstrom's, despite Bourque being less of a player then as he was in his prime.

Rhiessan71

Just a Fool
Feb 17, 2003
Guelph, Ont
Visit site

Show me a single quote from Bowman where he actually places anyone above Orr.

As I said earlier in this thread, every time Bowman is asked about the best d-men, he always makes a point of saying how Orr changed the game and THEN starts listing others like Lidstrom, Bourque and Robinson.
If he only did it once I wouldn't read more into it but that he does it constantly indicates to me that he too holds Orr above the rest.

Lidstrom may get some votes for best D-man ever but Orr gets many more votes for best player ever.
This IS a fact!

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst

Plus/minus is subjective.

Here are Bourque's postseason stats:

Career playoff numbers -- 214 gp 41g-139a-180p -- 0.84 PPG +5

From 1984 - 1987, while in the prime years of 24-27, Bourque in 15 games over 4 playoffs had 1g-7a-9p and was a -3. He won one Norris in 1987, was 1st All-NHL in three of those seasons, and a 2nd All-NHL in the other

In 45 playoff games between 1992 and 1998, Bourque was 8g-27a-35p and a -28... in 45 games. Keep in mind that in that period Bourque won a Norris in 1994 and 1996.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Even if you adjust their point totals, Bourque is still considerably far ahead of Lidstrom.

Bourque adjusted has a line of 368-1058-1426 in 22 seasons
Lidstrom adjusted has a line of 279-905-1184 in 19 seasons

Lidstrom's totals include an assumption that he will score at his current pace this year and would be for the end of 11.

Bourque also took over 6200 shots in his career while Lidstrom has taken 3600 so far and is unlikely to reach 4000.

Bourque was obviously the better offensive guy of the guy but IMO it's not as big of a gap as some make it out to be IMO.

aslo Lidstrom's Defensive ability gap over Bourque is slightly larger than Bourque's offensive gap IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad