What does it take to be a fan?

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
What responsibilities does a fan have?
How should a fan conduct themselves?
Is filling a building every night enough?

These are the questions I’ve been asking myself this season. I’m disappointed as the next guy but do we think it’s fun to work as a professional athlete or hockey ops in this city? It should be more positive, we have 97 and a brand new arena. Enjoy it. We have the best player and building on earth.

Does having season tickets, a twitter account, a jersey or a handful of tickets give you permission to be abusive on social media? Does playing junior B make you a potential GM candidate?

I can guarantee you this city is not fun to play in anymore. It’s toxic. We have the quietest building in the league. We chirp our players in public and social media.

Our general manager, coaches, some players and families avoid going into public places in this city.

I’m not blaming the lack of success on the fan base. But we are a factor. Players legitimately leave us off their list, and it has nothing to do with weather.

Most of you have made watching the oilers less fun.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007

These are the questions I’ve been asking myself this season. I’m disappointed as the next guy but do we think it’s fun to work as a professional athlete or hockey ops in this city? It should be more positive, we have 97 and a brand new arena. Enjoy it. We have the best player and building on earth.

Does having season tickets, a twitter account, a jersey or a handful of tickets give you permission to be abusive on social media? Does playing junior B make you a potential GM candidate?

I can guarantee you this city is not fun to play in anymore. It’s toxic. We have the quietest building in the league. We chirp our players in public and social media.

Our general manager, coaches, some players and families avoid going into public places in this city.

I’m not blaming the lack of success on the fan base. But we are a factor. Players legitimately leave us off their list, and it has nothing to do with weather.

Pay me a million bucks a year for one year of hockey which by the way is worth about 20 years of the average person who works as hard, takes as much abuse and has to suffer similar ills to a pro athlete or coach or gm and i 'll worry about your comments.

The fans have made the team less fun to watch, what a sheer and utter load of bull feces, Totally insulting.

GOilers88

Upside Down Canadian Flag
Dec 24, 2016
Of the Oilers?

The desire to watch a front office destroy any hope of icing a good hockey team.

If that's your bag, join us.

Reactions: 780il

Tom Brady

Legend of all Legends!
Feb 13, 2010
It's very hard to see the Leafs doing so well and yet we still ******* suck. this team is literally making me hate hockey and I never thought I'd say this.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

You realize you do have an option to not go on social media regarding the subject if it bothers you so much, don't you?:facepalm:

Saltcreek

Nov 23, 2016
Oilers hockey is extremely boring as most of the time they do not even look like a professional team. If this happened a couple times a year then no one would care but this has been going on for years and the fans are tired of it. They pay hard earned money for sports entertainment and this is the product that they get. It is totally unacceptable. The team (more importantly the management) are the ones to blame.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Hey OP, Looks like we, as the fans, have done just a tremendous job of long distance cheering for the boys the last couple games. That energy has clearly travelled across great distances and provided the energy and boost they've been lacking. I mean, if you're going to use us as the excuse when they lose, then we should get the credit when they win, right?:D

Reactions: oilWILDcountry

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Thought the fans and energy in the building was fantastic last night. Even when the Bruins went up by a goal, the support and energy never wavered.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Thought the fans and energy in the building was fantastic last night. Even when the Bruins went up by a goal, the support and energy never wavered.

The place was dead as a doornail during the (crappy) opening and the entire first period. Fans responded to a great effort in the 2nd and that got the building going. It was pretty apprehensive and quiet in the first period but I think we were all put to sleep by the 7 minute Ford truck commercial that doubled as the teams Grand Entrance video.

Reactions: 780il

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013

I'm pretty sure the fans gave a derisive cheer when the Oilers finally got a shot on net after being dominated for the first 10-12 minutes so "never wavered" is a little bit of an overstatement.

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
The place was dead as a doornail during the (crappy) opening and the entire first period. Fans responded to a great effort in the 2nd and that got the building going. It was pretty apprehensive and quiet in the first period but I think we were all put to sleep by the 7 minute Ford truck commercial that doubled as the teams Grand Entrance video.
I find the new building so boring.
Prices jacked up, huge empty feeling spaces, crappy music, and commercials somehow blasting offensively, really quiet and low energy crowd.

Markets like Nashville and Vegas have shown up the Oilers big time. Welcome to Oil Country *snooze*. They said they were going to make changes. Just lol at the result.
I don't live in Edmonton, but go to 2 or 3 home games a year. My friends and family, who used to be big time fans are more into NFL, Snowmobiling, or whatever else. I had tickets to a game last year: Montreal, Saturday December 23. People simply didn't want to go.

CookiesAndMilk

Generational Backhand Pass
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2016
Kyoto
Lol, what a question by OP.

I love the Oilers. Even if they suck huge donkey balls. And that has been a fact since a long time. It's obvious that our GM can't manage for shit and that our coach isn't the best. Our team has no depth and players are overpaid. Will that stop me from getting up at 2am, 3am, 4am to watch games? Hell no.

I don't know about you guys...but once you're into the Oil, you'll stay with the f***ing Oil.

Have a good start into the week and may the almighty hockey god bless our team with wins.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad