What does Canada have to do to win gold?

Status
Not open for further replies.

David

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Here are somethings that I believe that Canada has to start doing with Czechs if we have any hope of getting past the quarters let alone winning the gold.

Start blocking shots. As Yzerman did at Salt Lake, a leader has to start blocking shots...and then everyone else will follow. I saw plenty of shots find their way to the net because no one was willing to sacrifice their body.

Play with urgency from the second puck drops. These European teams have figured out that by scoring early and sitting back (the ploy that Czechs executed to perfection in Nagano in '98) once they get the lead, they have a chance against the more talented and bigger Canadians.

Start playing the North American game. Canada will not and cannot win playing the European hockey against Europeans. Start hitting them at every opportunity. I realize that this will take players out of play at times, but this has to be done. We have to put the fear of GOD into the opposing players. They are buzzing around like they got permission from team Canada to go where ever they want to go. Once they get hit a few times, they'll play timid...I mean if hitting that son of a b1tch Theo Fleury can neutralize him, it can neutralize anybody name Ruscinsky or Ovechkin or Hossa or even a Koivu! But Canada has to pick its spots since some of these characters are extremely slippery...see Koivu.

Lastly, play with emotion and hussle but don't forget to relax. There is A LOT OF HOCKEY LEFT TO BE PLAYED.

Canada still has a good chance of winning if we stick to what we do best!

Sorry

May 18, 2005
As comforting as Don Cherry tried to be, it ain't gonna happen.

I think all olympic teams who are comprised mostly of NHLers, should take a page from USA basketball and hold more mini camps to build team chemistry.

David

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Wreck Gar said:
As comforting as Don Cherry tried to be, it ain't gonna happen.

There is a lot of hockey still left to be played. You may be right or I may be right...but let's talk after it's been settled.

Dig Out Your Soul

Ex Storm...
Aug 8, 2005
David said:
That'll come naturally.

It has yet to come naturally.

When they didn't put 15 past Italy, I worried. When they didn't put 10 past Germany, I worried. Now they haven't put a single goal in the net in over 2 games, I'm worried! I don't know how they will score goals, they just simply look out-matched everytime they're on the ice.

But you're right, they need to go back to the basics of the Canadian game. Play physical and determined and just grind it out.

Ironchef Chris Wok*

1. Stop tryign to carry the puck in the neutral zone against 4 opposing sweaters with no puck support in order to gain the zone.

2. Dump, Chase, Dig, Repeat.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
Ironchef Chris Wok said:
1. Stop tryign to carry the puck in the neutral zone against 4 opposing sweaters with no puck support in order to gain the zone.

2. Dump, Chase, Dig, Repeat.
ay-****ing-men

I was basically yelling this at the TV for the past two games.

For someone who knows so much about baseball, you aren't too shabby with the hockey either. ;)

ProngerRocks

Feb 7, 2006
it should be pointed out that the main goal of playing the trap is make the other team dump the puck in - combined with the speed of the fins - dumping it would of done nothing do generate offence for canada. Canada needed to carry the puck in the neutral zone - with sufficient puck support - which was lacking for the most part

Towmater14

Sep 17, 2005
OIL COUNTRY
Each and every individual needs to realize that there are 4 other guys all around them that can play just as good if not better then they can.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
ProngerRocks said:
it should be pointed out that the main goal of playing the trap is make the other team dump the puck in - combined with the speed of the fins - dumping it would of done nothing do generate offence for canada. Canada needed to carry the puck in the neutral zone - with sufficient puck support - which was lacking for the most part
I thought the main goal of the trap was preventing goals?

When you clearly have no extremely mobile defensemen, and you have big forwards who can forecheck, its pretty logical what to do.

Danny__K

Oct 6, 2005
David said:
i mean if hitting that son of a b1tch Theo Fleury can neutralize him, it can neutralize anybody

If you ask me thats what canada is missing right now, someone whose going to go out there and bang around and energize the team. Just like Theo did in Salt Lake.

cstu

May 6, 2004
Their defence needs to start hitting the ****ing net with shots from the point, especially on the PP. I'd rather see a quick snapper on net which provides a deflection or rebound opportunity than a 100mph blast that goes 4 feet wide (like pretty much every Pronger, Blake, McCabe shot so far).

Ironchef Chris Wok*

ProngerRocks said:

The goal of the trap is to MAKE the skilled player to try to carry through 3 or 4 guys, making him give up possession of the puck in the neutral zone for a counterattack and NEGATING the skill advantage

ShaneDoan

May 5, 2005
I must say that Canada was loser before the games even started. I mean Gretzky decided to take lot of wrong players to squad...Players who where big stars so many years ago. Some hungry young talents were left out like Spezza,Crosby,Phaneuf...even Staal seems to be useless in Gretzky`s paper.

Mr.Brownov*

ShaneDoan said:
I must say that Canada was loser before the games even started. I mean Gretzky decided to take lot of wrong players to squad...Players who where big stars so many years ago. Some hungry young talents were left out like Spezza,Crosby,Phaneuf...even Staal seems to be useless in Gretzky`s paper.
You beat me to this. Indeed a mistake on Gretzky's part. They lack game breakers like these four kids as you mentioned. I'm starting to eat crow pie by agreeing that Sid the Kid should not be there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->