What Does Bowen Byram Need to Become for the Avalanche?

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I believe they need him to round out into a solid two way top four guy to compete. Having Makar, Girard, and hopefully Timmins lowers that need bar a bit IMO.

My expectation for him is a unanimous top pairing guy. Maybe not a dynamite #1 (though I’m not ruling it out) but I think he’ll easily be our second best defenseman behind Makar. Prior to the season I thought he’d give Makar a run for his money but what Makar is doing right now is just ridiculous.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Personally I'd prefer Makar and Byram on separate pairings anyway. They're both highly productive offensive roavers. Having that kind of guy on two of the three pairings makes them incredibly difficult to defend against.

Girard works with Makar because they're both highly intelligent enough to read off each other, but also because G isn't really a big point producer. I don't expect the latter to be the case with Byram.

I'd rather Byram and Timmins form the Avs future shutdown duo.

Reactions: AdrianTheMagician

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Personally I'd prefer Makar and Byram on separate pairings anyway. They're both highly productive offensive roavers. Having that kind of guy on two of the three pairings makes them incredibly difficult to defend against.

Girard works with Makar because they're both highly intelligent enough to read off each other, but also because G isn't really a big point producer. I don't expect the latter to be the case with Byram.

I'd rather Byram and Timmins form the Avs future shutdown duo.

I don't agree here. Because Makar is so good and is pass-heavy, his partner Graves often ends up with the puck along the blue line in the offensive zone. Now simply replace Graves with Byram, and profit.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I don't agree here. Because Makar is so good and is pass-heavy, his partner Graves often ends up with the puck along the blue line in the offensive zone. Now simply replace Graves with Byram, and profit.

Yeah but Graves isn't going to be a top 4 guy for long. Once Byram and Timmins get comfortable in the NHL, either Girard or Byram will likely be Makar's partners in a healthy lineup.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Yeah but Graves isn't going to be a top 4 guy for long. Once Byram and Timmins get comfortable in the NHL, either Girard or Byram will likely be Makar's partners in a healthy lineup.

Exactly, but I think Byram should be Makar's partner. That way both players can create offense and amplify each other.

Matt Roberts

May 26, 2019
Exactly, but I think Byram should be Makar's partner. That way both players can create offense and amplify each other.
That would be my preference. Not only do you get a top offensive pairing, but I see more balance defensively with Makar/Byram and Timmons/Girard. It would be hard to go wrong either way though.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
We need him to be a solid 2-way Dman with elite puck moving skills. He’s a cocky bastard, and what I WANT to see him do, is try and upstage Makar. I hope he’s competing with Makar in Norris races, ideally.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Honestly.... I really dont think he needs to even be an NHL Dman for the Avs to win the cup.

I believe this team right now(Well, not the injured team the Avs are icing at this exact moment but you get what I mean), with one or two minor adjustments, is capable of winning the cup. Those minor adjustments being one more Top 6 forward and one more 4/5 Defensive option to replace Graves or Cole(Or at least make these guys way more accountable). And I actually think Rosen and/or Timmins could replace the Defensive hole internally as soon as December or January if they ever get a chance to prove it.

Now, all of that said it would still be absolutely huge for this franchise if Byram can become a Top pairing Dman for us. Cale is going to be Cale, at this point he's probably well on his way to being a future Norris contender and bonafide #1D of The Top 10 in the league variety. But if Byram could also develop into a legit Top pairing guy, or hell even a real good #3, to match alongside Makar and have those two guys playing 25 mintues a night for the Avs for the next decade, it gives us a really good chance to extend the cup window from just 3-4 years like it is right now to potentially having something like what Pittsburgh, Boston, or Washington have had now where you can be a threat to win the cup basically every year for over a decade.

That's what makes Byram a key piece IMO. Extending our cup window beyond the current Mack contract. Without Byram as a legit stud you probably only have 3-4 shots at winning it all. With Byram as a star player alongside Cale, even when Mack gets his huge raise so long as you have a core of Byram/Cale/Sam/Mack/Mikko... you should be able to build a supporting cast good enough to contend for a cup for a long time.

Reactions: MarkT

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
He really needs to be a top 3. I'd like him to be a top 2 but we can get by with having two solid #4 filling in.

I will never hang our chances on Byram though. He's a absolute bonus but we need more offensive depth in the top 6. I wouldn't put him on the trade-block at this point, but I would listen to offers for him especially if they involved top-notch wingers with several years left to give. As always, it depends on the players involved. I wouldn't trade him for Kessel, but I would pull the trigger on Hovat, Boeser, or Pasternak if a trade could be made. He's a legit top D man prospect and we are moving into the win now mode. We need help on the wings on our top two lines. For the right player he should be available, but it would absolutely need to be for a player than cant help us for 4+ years.

Last edited:

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
Ideally the Avs are able to roll a top 4 of.

Byram Makar
Girard Timmins

Makar looks like a sure shot to be a top pairing guy so that takes some pressure off of Byram. Being capable of displacing Girard on to the second line is what I'm hoping he can do.

Matt Roberts

May 26, 2019
He really needs to be a top 3. I'd like him to be a top 2 but we can get by with having two solid #4 filling in.

I will never hang our chances on Byram though. He's a absolute bonus but we need more offensive depth in the top 6. I wouldn't put him on the trade-block at this point, but I would listen to offers for him especially if they involved top-notch wingers with several years left to give. As always, it depends on the players involved. I wouldn't trade him for Kessel, but I would pull the trigger on Hovat, Boeser, or Pasternak if a trade could be made. He's a legit top D man prospect and we are moving into the win now mode. We need help on the wings on our top two lines. For the right player he should be available, but it would absolutely need to be for a player than cant help us for 4+ years.
Top 6 scoring doesn't look like much of a need to me. Once Landeskog and Rantanen return, you can split them between the top 2 lines. Rantanen with MacK and Donskoi, Landeskog with Kadri and Bura, and I don't see a huge need there. Those are 2 nicely balanced lines with skill, size and grit.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
If we want to honestly try and win a Cup? Top pairing defenseman, whether you consider that a 1D or a 2D with Makar’s points leading the way.

Byram - Makar
Girard - Timmins

This needs to be a reality.

I agree with this. He has all the tools to be a real good 2 way, #2D and that should be the expectation. The Avs could probably live with him 'just' being a #3D, but it hurts how the team is being built. Anything less than that, and it starts to hurt.

Reactions: RoyIsALegend

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I know there's going to be pressure on the kid no matter what, but what the Avs need from his is to be the best version of whatever he is. If he turns out not to really be a top-end defenseman, then he needs to be the best bottom pair guy he can be. I hope he becomes the true #1 who can play 25+ minutes per night against top lines and still put up points. I don't expect that though and I don't think the Avs necessarily need that to win a cup. Heck, I think they have what they need to win a cup right now if Grubauer gets hot again for the playoffs.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
1 more year of junior *after this year. then 15-25 games in the AHL and then the call up to the Bigs. that's the more ideal developmental model to follow for an elite bluechiper d-man prospect. if only idiot NHL GMS would follow it more often.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
1 more year of junior *after this year. then 15-25 games in the AHL and then the call up to the Bigs. that's the more ideal developmental model to follow for an elite bluechiper d-man prospect. if only idiot NHL GMS would follow it more often.

I don't think any team outside of Detroit has the patience for a development path like that, especially with Byram. And I'm not sure what another year of in the WHL on top of this year is going to do for him. He already looks bored.

Reactions: Outbreaks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad