What Does Bowen Byram Need to Become for the Avalanche?

Spirits

Avalanche and Vikings
Jul 12, 2014
What does he need to develop into for us to succeed (win cups/become a regular post season force etc)? Top pairing guy? Top 4? Shutdown Defender? PP QB #2?

As a separate question what do you think he will end up developing into? What is his floor and what is his ceiling? What is the minimum to make you happy with the 4th overall pick?

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
We need him to become a legit #3D. Anything greater than than is bonus.

FTR, I think a legit 3D paired with whatever it is Cale Makar becomes is a high end top pairing.

Reactions: arun

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
1st pairing LHD.

Edit: misunderstood the question. We don't need him for being a contender.

Reactions: Mac Attack

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
Some snarl in his game. Good first pass and offensive instincts. Reasonably good defensively.

Basically what EJ is for us now. EJ is still a pretty good straight line skater when he has the room to build up speed. Byram won't be the same. But similar in overall impact and meaner. That would be ideal.

This team will never win the Blues or Bruins way.

Girard Makar and Byram just aren't big or nasty enough. They'll need to win their own way.

Reactions: Tralfamadore

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I think Byram is a future captain on this team, either assistant or captain. He has the leadership skills. In terms of play, #2D.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Eventually we need Byram to become a true two-way dman providing around 40-45 pts but also strong defensive play so he can be matched up with Makar. This would allow the Avs to move Girard down to the 2nd pair where he would fit better having less responsibilities and focus more on offense.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
I had him in a tier of his own after the big 2 in this past draft, so any less than a top-pairing defender would be a disappointment for me. He's that good.

But what does he NEED to be? Probably a solid two-way #3. We need to hit on one of these LHD outside of Girard.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I mean, anything less than a strong #3 who provides good two-way play would qualify as a disappointment, but honestly I think that's the low end of what we can expect from him.

Probably the most reasonable expectation is prime EJ; an active top pair defenseman who plays excellent defense and solid offense who maybe isn't an ideal #1 but makes an excellent partner for one.

Reactions: LTC Pain

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
The Avs don't necessarily need Byram to succeed. However, anything less than a strong #3D would be a big disappointment.

Reactions: MarkT

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Ideally he forces Girard on the 2nd pairing for the duration of his new contract (7 years).

However, the draft expectations from most experts were Byram becoming a #1 in the NHL and that didn't change.

Last edited:

Spirits

Avalanche and Vikings
Jul 12, 2014
Eventually we need Byram to become a true two-way dman providing around 40-45 pts but also strong defensive play so he can be matched up with Makar. This would allow the Avs to move Girard down to the 2nd pair where he would fit better having less responsibilities and focus more on offense.
I've never considered those two matched up and was always thinking the 1-2 punch of having them split is nice, but I am daydreaming about this now...

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I don’t know if the Avs future success is contingent on Byram’s development, but if he turns into a legit top pairing defenceman, the Avs will be a cup contender for the remaining prime years of MacKinnon, Rantanen, Makar, and Landy. If Byram pans out, that’s a ridiculously good core. The most challenging part will be managing the cap.

We have a hole on the left side of our top four. It doesn’t have to be Byram, but if he busts they would need to find a way to fill that whole.

As for what I think Byram will be; I have no idea. I felt like coming into the draft he projected to be a top pairing guy, so I’ll stick with that. He’s less dynamic than Makar, but you have to love that he has the clutch gene and does so many things well. I think a Byram-Makar pairing will be instant offence from the backend.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Basically he needs to be a top 4 guy. He’s here to replace Z(in general) and ideally G from the top pairing slot. But as long as we have Girard who looks like he’ll be a solid 2/3 and Byram who should be a 2d our d core should be set with Makar being the 1D and Timmins being a 2nd pairing guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad