GM search thread - all news and discussion here

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Jesus Christ. Alright, someone take the reins from JD. Time to put him out to pasture. In terms of actual rumors we’ve seen nothing but old boys club guys.

Bergevin is going to be the guy to instill a solid, winning culture? Seriously? Move forwards, not backwards.
Maybe wait until they hire someone before we pull out the pitchforks.

I'm sure lots of people are "under consideration"

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Maybe wait until they hire someone before we pull out the pitchforks.

I'm sure lots of people are "under consideration"
Fair enough, and in the past I’ve been pretty level headed about this kind of thing and would have even made your kind of reply myself, but the Babcock hire has made me more skeptical of the leadership here, which is now just JD. I don’t like how the names we’ve seen in actual rumors are all dinosaurs.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Jesus Christ. Alright, someone take the reins from JD. Time to put him out to pasture. In terms of actual rumors we’ve seen nothing but old boys club guys.

Bergevin is going to be the guy to instill a solid, winning culture? Seriously? Move forwards, not backwards.
It's better than the scenario where we hire Mark Hunter who then replaces Pascal Vincent with his brother Dale and drafts Sam Dickinson 4th OA.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Fair enough, and in the past I’ve been pretty level headed about this kind of thing and would have even made your kind of reply myself, but the Babcock hire has made me more skeptical of the leadership here, which is now just JD. I don’t like how the names we’ve seen in actual rumors are all dinosaurs.
I'm not sure what you mean by dinosaurs but you might want to take a look at the ages of the GMs for the teams that remain in the playoffs. All are over 50 except for the NYR GM. Some are over 65.

Experience is generally important for upper managerial positions in most businesses and hockey is probably no exception.

Now JD is a dinosaur by my definition. An incompetent one at that. I wouldn't be the least bit shocked if he hired some clown like Bergevin.

Last edited:

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
I'm not sure what you mean by dinosaurs but you might want to take a look at the ages of the GMs for the teams that remain in the playoffs. All are over 50 except for the NYR GM. Some are over 65.

Experience is generally important for upper managerial positions in most businesses and hockey is probably no exception.

Now JD is a dinosaur by my definition. An incompetent one at that. I wouldn't be the least bit shocked if he hired some clown like Bergevin.
I mean more to say “old boys club”. Bergevin was fired for pretty much the same reason Jarmo eventually was- deteriorating team culture. On top of that, the Canadiens were a pretty bad drafting team during his tenure. Overall he was a pretty terrible GM IMO. That he is under consideration at all is pretty shocking to me.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I mean more to say “old boys club”. Bergevin was fired for pretty much the same reason Jarmo eventually was- deteriorating team culture. On top of that, the Canadiens were a pretty bad drafting team during his tenure. Overall he was a pretty terrible GM IMO. That he is under consideration at all is pretty shocking to me.
I agree. It doesn't give one much confidence in the process. Bergevin shouldn't even be on the radar.

The Habs made the finals in 2021 pretty much as a fluke but that's something that a JD would focus upon. .

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
As with Babcock, we will deserve every bit of derision and mockery we get from the rest of the league if we hire Bergevin. It was bad enough hearing the Habs fan mockery over Timmins.

Reactions: GoJackets1

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
As with Babcock, we will deserve every bit of derision and mockery we get from the rest of the league if we hire Bergevin. It was bad enough hearing the Habs fan mockery over Timmins.
hiring marc bergevin would be extremely good… at stimulating the hot take economy

we would truly be entering a golden era of cbj online message board discourse. the human mind cannot fathom how much more deranged our posts would get. if we could discover a way to harness that chaotic energy, we could power a large city.

Reactions: Viqsi and Nanabijou

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
They are trying so hard to make Rick Nash "The Executive" a thing. I haven't seen anything from him that shows me he's ready.
I agree, although I'm not sure what we could see from him that would because I'm not sure what we would see from him at all. I mean, what could he do that would start to give random fans that impression?

Reactions: MAHJ71

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

Take this with the smallest amount of seriousness possible but I do know this account is decently accurate with montreal related rumors.

However again, not a trusted source.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020

Take this with the smallest amount of seriousness possible but I do know this account is decently accurate with montreal related rumors.

However again, not a trusted source.

going from "this GM search is taking too long, i hope they hire someone" to "blue jackets general manager marc bergevin" would be an objectively funny monkey paw kind of situation

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
Call me crazy, but I wouldn't hate this if it were to happen. I am not saying he would be the best hire, but I am saying is he wouldn't be the worst hire.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Bergevin has been a "special advisor" to GM Rob Blake of the LA Kings.

The Kings signed head case PLD to a huge 8 year deal after a sign and trade with WPG.

Book it. He's the next CBJ GM.

• Haha
Reactions: EspenK

CannonFire1

Jun 22, 2023
Bergevin would not be at the top of my list, but I would be surprised if they didn't talk to him. I think CBJ should maximize this process by talking to as many outsiders as possible and gathering as much information as possible.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Bergevin has been a "special advisor" to GM Rob Blake of the LA Kings.

The Kings signed head case PLD to a huge 8 year deal after a sign and trade with WPG.

Book it. He's the next CBJ GM.
the PLD saga began when montreal tried to offer sheet him and jarmo opened up cap to match.

this has been bergevin's plan all along. he's playing 7D backgammon.
  1. blow up the jackets by getting PLD to force his way out
  2. don't put together a strong trade package for CBJ, leading to PLD going to another team where he'll be unhappy
  3. get a job with a team in a warm weather metropolis and offer PLD a contract that will make him even more complacent
  4. get the jackets job while the kings are desperate to offload PLD
  5. trade for a now-humbled PLD at 50% retained
:sarcasm:

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Bottom line for me: Bergevin was in Chicago when the Aldrich assaults happened, and most importantly he was in a position where he could not claim he didn't know anything about it. Hard pass.
Didn’t he also draft Logan Mailloux in the 1st round?
yes and yes and this all stems from the fact that JD is still, for some indefensible reason, the one running the search despite vouching for babcock a year ago.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Certainyl feasible and I share those same concerns but I just hope they learned from that debacle.

If they didn't then we have even more reason to be frustrated.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
As pointed out by Squash, Bergevin has that Chicago stank on him...but along with what he did as the Habs GM. Honestly, getting him would question my fanhood, like Watson was for Browns fans.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Not sure what to think on Bergevin.. I would certainly take him over Hunter .. Honestly he sounds a lot like Jarmo who we just got rid of .. great in trades .. pretty solid drafter… tough negotiator with current players .. As I said , I have little faith in JD .. feels like this franchise is part of the movie Groundhog Day

Reactions: DJA

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad