Line Combos: What do you think makes a good line?

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
no more than 2 rookies in a line.

in the top 6, you need speed.

in the top 9, you need at least one sniper with a quick release.

a center who can drive the play and create plays.

at least one player with grit.

chemistry.

so top nine would be:

komorov-kadri-soshnikov

jvr-bozak-marner

matthews-nylander-johnson

timashov-holland-brown

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
JVR - Bozak - Lupul
Michalek - Kadri - Komarov
Greening - Matthews - Nylander
Martin - Laich - Marner
Holland, Leivo

Marincin - Rielly
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Hunwick - Polak
Corrado

Andersen
Enroth

This is realistic. I could see Marner supplanting Lupul on that line quickly though. With all of Matthews, Nylander and Marner likely to make the team, players like Soshnikov and Hyman will probably be injury call ups to start.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
This is realistic. I could see Marner supplanting Lupul on that line quickly though. With all of Matthews, Nylander and Marner likely to make the team, players like Soshnikov and Hyman will probably be injury call ups to start.
For some reason, I can see Kadri and Marner on the same line. Unlike last year, we have Naz signed long-term and can finally line him up with a skilled linemate.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
if marner makes team, he actually might be on lines 1, definitely 2, with kadri or bozak...because opponent 1st lines dont really hit u as much and arent full of 3rd and 4th line goons, a lot of nhl 3rd and 4th lines jump onto and ice and start looking for bodies and playing with energy...top lines have more skill and look to score and play hockey

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
for our first preseason game i really want to see this top 9

leo kadri brown
jvr bozak marner
sosh matthews nylander

be so fun to watch

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
1st: JVR-Bozak-Brown (Bozak is a good passer, this gives him two guys who can finish and surrounds Brown with 2 vets to take care of him)

Komarov-Kadri-Marner (also gives marner 2 vets, and 2 fairly gritty vets to look out for him. I think marner and Kadri can gel with their creativity)

3rd: Martin-Matthews-Nylander (while I don't believe Martin is the best option here, I believe Babcock is going to put him with the 2 kids to start to "keep the flys off")

4th: wide open competition here between Michalek, Greening, Holland, Leivo, Sosh, Hyman, Laich, and Rychel

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
I could see:

Michalek - Kadri - Komarov
JVR - Bozak - Marner
Greening - Matthews - Nylander
Martin - Laich - Hyman

Marincin - Rielly
Gardner - Carrick
Hunwick - Zaitsev

Our defense will kill us. That team finishes 5th-10th last, in my opinion.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
a lot of people still dont have brown on team, imo hes a near lock, not as lock as matthews and nylander but really close.....like im 90% sure hes more nhl ready than marner

Mr Hockey*

a lot of people still dont have brown on team, imo hes a near lock, not as lock as matthews and nylander but really close.....like im 90% sure hes more nhl ready than marner

List of my players more NHL "ready" than Mitch...

• Matthews
  • Nylander
  • Soshnikov
  • Brown
  • Hyman
  • Rychel
  • Leivo
  • Johnson

Last edited by a moderator:

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
The more likely scenario:

JVR Bozak Soshnikov
Komarov Kadri Marner
Michalek Matthews Nylander
Greening Laich Martin

(combos in bold)

Rielly - Zaitsev
Gardiner - Carrick
Hunwick/Marincin Polak

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Komarov-Kadri-Brown
JVR-Bozak-Nylander
Michalek-Matthews-Marner (Matthews will replace Bozak very quickly)
Martin-Laich-Hyman
Leivo-Greening

Reilly-Zaitsev
Gardiner-Marincin
Hunwick-Polak
Carrick

Andersen-Enroth

MLSE

Jan 30, 2004
Windsor, Ontario
JVR Bozak Nylander
Komarov Kadri Marner
Michalek Matthews Soshnikov
Martin Laich Hyman

Reilly Gardiner
Zaitsev Polak
Hunwick Marincin
Carrick

Matthews moves up the list quick. Id also like something like..

JVR Bozak Kadri
Komarov Matthews Nylander
Michalek Marner Soshnikov
Martin Laich Hyman

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I really think this upcoming season, we're going to see Kadri play with skill. The only reason why we don't see him paired with skill in the past was to develop his defensive game. I also think Lou did it in order to sign him to that low-cost, long-term contract.

This season pair up pair up Kadri with someone super-skilled. If JVR and Bozak are dating long-term, I'd like to see Marner and Kadri together with Komarov representing the third man. Thus something like...

Leo - Kadri - Marner

JVR - Bozak - RW

LW - Matthews - Nylander

Martin - Laich - Hyman

While I left the third linemate on the second and third line off, I sort of see Brown, Michalek and Soshnikov fighting it out. I really see Brown being our Mark Stone and playing a very important role on this team. Soshnikov, at least, deserves to be on that hight talented super line with Matthews and Nylander.

After a couple of games, I think Babcock will realize that Matthews will fully utilize his creativity and be the conductor on his own line. Likewise Kadri will continue to work with Marner, and Nylander will drive his line as well. Maybe something like...

JVR - Matthews - Soshnikov

Leo - Kadri -Marner ( would prefer Kerby - Kadri - Marner)

Bozak - Nylander - Brown ( or Willy on LW, Bozak as C)

Martin - Laich - Hyman

I'd argue that Brown has a higher upside than Soshnikov, I think his better speed would better compliment that big, speedy pair. Personally, I think we need someone speedier with skill, and if Nylander doesn't transition as a center, I'd use him. Plenty of time to select the third linemate.

Moreover, I can see Komarov being displaced by Kerby Rychel who is far more skilled. Gritty, power forward with skilled gritty guys in Kadri and Marner. Maybe this happens mid-season.

PS: I pretty much see us having two "shut down" lines. You'll have the big Matthews line eating up minutes against the top lines while Kadri's pest line does the same. You essentially create a nightmare for oppositions who now have to deal with this highly potent third line as well.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad