Speculation: What do you think about the whole canadian division

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
The U.S. is currently experiencing 3,000 deaths and 226,000 new cases daily. The Thanksgiving travelers and family gatherings numbers haven't actually been a big part of the current surge as you need to deal with a 14 day time span before those infected during that week we will see the numbers surge in the next few days and many of those who enjoyed big gatherings on Thanksgiving will be in the hospital or worse, their families will be having small gatherings for their funerals right around Christmas.

Speaking of Christmas, I expect the "I have a right to my freedom" idiots (Yes, because being asked to wear a cloth mask over your nose and mouth when in the presence of others in order to extend some protection to them from you and you from them is such a freedom deprivation!) to be in even larger numbers for Christmas gatherings, many involving several days and overnights all in the same dwelling. Then a week later we'll have the many New Year's parties. They are currently predicting 300,000 and up to 400,000 new cases daily and up to 3,5000-4,000+ daily deaths by February. I sure do hope this doesn't come to fruition.

Therefore, I would speculate the January 1 start date is really farfetched and Bettman has already admitted that they will have to follow the Govt. guidelines as they are changed and re-esatblished. If the February numbers are to become a reality, and the numbers predictions by the experts have been spot on thus far, Playing hockey in major U.S. cities is going to be dangerous to say the least. The NFL and college football have been heavily effected by the Virus and they have much greater access to replacements than hockey, but games have still been postponed and some cancelled altogether.

This is really playing with fire in the U.S. and there will be a new administration in January who will have a much more serious attitude in treating the pandemic.

Vaccines will not have any influence for some time and the earliest optimistic prediction as to when they will have had the opportunity to offer it to all Americans is June. Then again 37% of those polled across the country say they will not opt to take the vaccine. I don't know about Canada, but the U.S. has a huge number of anti vaxxers. Combine them with the anti mask and social distancing numbers and the virus will still be spreading itself around for quite some time even when others are getting the vaccine.

If there is hockey it, will be in empty rinks and the restaurants they'll need may very well be closed. Thus, pick up or delivery of all meals will have the teams dining under ridiculous restrictions as will any movement the players are used to doing when on the road. New York City has just announced all restaurants will be closed to in house dining until further notice. As things get worse in the predicted long dark winter, many more cities and states will establish the same rules and enact many more as the tighten the grip on movement outside by anyone other than essential workers.

I can't see hockey being considered more important than the health of the U.S. in spite of the number of jerks they are trying to protect that don't want the help.

** This isn't a political opinion. It's simply reporting the situation on the ground here and and how it may influence our beloved game.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I concur with BG on this analysis, although somewhat depressing. It'll be next October at least before pro sports are back to any semblance of normalcy....and that will only occur if people are willing to be vaccinated. And that's a big stretch.

I suppose the big time sports like the NFL, MLB, NBA and even the NHL will find a way to struggle through, even though the value of their franchises might be diminished.

But I really worry about the minor league teams in hockey and baseball, which are so much a port of the fabric of NA sports. Can they hang on for another year with no fans or revenues? Lets face it, there are many businesses out there that aren't going to survive this Pandemic. Just praying the AHL and ECHL aren't among them.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
MLB, cut chopped off close to 1/4 of minor league affiliates. And in all seriousness, they don't need more than 3 levels of minor leagues. Just sucks for those clubs and cities.

Could the NHL and hockey do without the ECHL as a developmental system? Would mean expanded rosters for the AHL to account for injuries and callups. But, how many players who spend a full season in the ECHL ever end up making the NHL besides the rare cases of Alex Burrows?

Reactions: Luckylarry

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
I sure hope all of the G20 countries make vaccinations mandatory for anyone wanting to fly, go to sporting events or restaurants. I have no sympathy for the anti vax morons who threaten the health of millions with their "rights" to be idiots. Put severe penalties on those who refuse to get vaccinated. Don't allow them in public education, make their selfish lives miserable.

I want hockey back. To watch and to play. Being denied it because some people are selfish morons is extremely annoying.

I hope that we get hockey this year, and it will be entertaining if its only Canadian teams, we should learn to hate each other even more.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I sure hope all of the G20 countries make vaccinations mandatory for anyone wanting to fly, go to sporting events or restaurants. I have no sympathy for the anti vax morons who threaten the health of millions with their "rights" to be idiots. Put severe penalties on those who refuse to get vaccinated. Don't allow them in public education, make their selfish lives miserable.

I want hockey back. To watch and to play. Being denied it because some people are selfish morons is extremely annoying.

I hope that we get hockey this year, and it will be entertaining if its only Canadian teams, we should learn to hate each other even more.
Maybe fans who have been vaccinated will be okayed to go to games in our Canadian cities? If the season goes to Mid May, then we will have millions vaccinated. I see us in the seats before this season is over.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

Sneezy

Oct 25, 2019
I concur with BG on this analysis, although somewhat depressing. It'll be next October at least before pro sports are back to any semblance of normalcy....and that will only occur if people are willing to be vaccinated. And that's a big stretch.

I suppose the big time sports like the NFL, MLB, NBA and even the NHL will find a way to struggle through, even though the value of their franchises might be diminished.

But I really worry about the minor league teams in hockey and baseball, which are so much a port of the fabric of NA sports. Can they hang on for another year with no fans or revenues? Lets face it, there are many businesses out there that aren't going to survive this Pandemic. Just praying the AHL and ECHL aren't among them.

I think the number I heard is 60% - 70% of the people need to be vaccinated to get the heard immunity happening. Regardless they should just plan a 42 game season with breaks to allow teams to miss a game and make it up later.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
I take it that the team will play the division teams only? Otherwise the traveling issue is right back on the agenda. There will be a lot of times to build grudges. Is a 48 game season realistic (8 games vs each team)?

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
Will NHL players and staff get the vaccine fairly soon? It could be argued that having the NHL back in business would be beneficial to a lot of Canadian's mental health while isolated and shut in during the winter months.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Will NHL players and staff get the vaccine fairly soon? It could be argued that having the NHL back in business would be beneficial to a lot of Canadian's mental health while isolated and shut in during the winter months.

Hockey will be back in January or early Feb at the latest. So what would be the argument?

Also side note, the TV viewership for the playoffs was terrible, so that also probably goes against your argument.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The Canadian Division will be fun for a year, in a truncated season. But still hoping that by next fall, the Canucks are back in the old Pacific Division.

The three California teams are all in the throes of rebuilds; and the Coyotes look to have a lost a lot of ground. And of course the Seattle Kraken will join the mix after this season. Too many easy opponents there, and a playoff spot for the Canucks all but guaranteed.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
I like the idea, fans will be more observant of the standings in Canada.

Vancouver gets to see if they really have improved that much or was the extra points due to 3 California teams having slumps or rebuilding.

There is a lot of media selecting the Canucks to be top three, I don't see it.
For one thing there is not enough depth and not enough draft picks to step in. If the team as they are hinting at now, are relying on 4 rookies to make them better, ya think?

Another reason or what they will use as an excuse and the media will not attach any blame whatsoever, will be the lack of cap space and bad contracts, so no trades can be done. Benning's clause contracts and over payment for really bad player evaluating. Nobody want these 5 or 6 bad contracts without him giving up more like he did for a RENTAL. He is an easy mark.

At any rate I see the Canucks on the bottom just through injuries alone. These games will become intense and with familiarity will come contempt and the Canucks don't have any nuclear deterrents to stop extra rough play. You would have to live in a cave not to realize Pettersson, Miller, Horvat, Hughes and Schmidt will be targeted and that Vegas showed the world how to stymie Hughes. Who will stop Kassian, Tkachuk, Lucic, Wheeler, Tkachuk or any of the others that play man first hockey.

Maybe if there are no fans and these guys to live in a bubble they can get away from the intense rivalries that will be reborn. At least 8 games vs each team with little or no practice time and the Canucks trying to insert up to 6 players that have no NHL experience or very little.

Pray for limited injuries or endure a big embarrassment of being Canada's worst team.

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
Holtby isn't good anymore, and -no offense to Schmidt- but we lost Tanev. Stecher is better than Benn, and Fantenberg is more reliable than any of our upcoming rookies. Leivo was also a solid checker.

Point is, this team got significantly worse on the defensive side of things, and is now relying on Demko to save their asses every night. This is a recipe for disaster, and all because Benning thinks that cap space doesn't matter. What an idiot.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Holtby isn't good anymore, and -no offense to Schmidt- but we lost Tanev. Stecher is better than Benn, and Fantenberg is more reliable than any of our upcoming rookies. Leivo was also a solid checker.

Point is, this team got significantly worse on the defensive side of things, and is now relying on Demko to save their asses every night. This is a recipe for disaster, and all because Benning thinks that cap space doesn't matter. What an idiot.

Agreed, he's as dumb as they come. 0 foresight or long-term planning with his contracts.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The Canadian division might not happen now. Unless they make a deal with all five provincial governments.
Yes, both Sportsnet and TSN are reporting that the all-Canadian division could be DOA before it ever gets off the ground....and the Canadian teams may end up playing the first part of their schedule in 'bubble cities' south of the border. And once the Canadian NHL players go south, they ain't coming back--at least for the first few months of the schedule, or until the Canada-USA border re-opens.

I'm beginning to think that resuming the NHL season in 2021 may actually turn out to be a lot harder than it was to reactivate the NHL playoffs in the bubble cities of Edmonton and Toronto last summer.

There are still too many interprovincial travel restrictions within Canada, and U.S. markets are being ravished by COVID cases right now. But I suppose if the NBA and NFL can pull off a season, the NHL should at least take a shot. But the problem with hockey rinks is that they're virus incubators, so even limited attendance may not be possible.

The reality is that it's going to take the NHL years to recover from these COVID losses, and in some sunbelt markets, it may never recover.

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
BC and Quebec are the ones who are holding this up. But Quebec is almost done. so Dr Bonnie Henry is not happy withe the NHL Terms

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
I want that "North Division Champions" banner. It will be the only one ever issued, so very cool thing to have.

And add a Canadian Club Champion as well, for the play-off.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Well Alberta, who is getting bent over by covid cases, is welcoming all comers.
I was thinking of the big cities on the prairies: Edmonton, Calgary, and Winnipeg are three, of course. Then use Regina, Saskatoon, Brandon, Red Deer, etc for the other four teams. Having players living in hotels would be far safer than having them living in their own homes, wouldn’t it?

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I was thinking of the big cities on the prairies: Edmonton, Calgary, and Winnipeg are three, of course. Then use Regina, Saskatoon, Brandon, Red Deer, etc for the other four teams. Having players living in hotels would be far safer than having them living in their own homes, wouldn’t it?

I don't know why but whenever hear prairies, I think strictly Saskatchewan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->