Speculation: What do you think about the whole canadian division

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It blows, but there's no other choice.

They really need to get going on this thing, it's only a month away, and we don't even have a schedule yet.
I'm beginning to seriously wonder how interested the owners are in starting the NHL season on January 1st. After all, with no fans in the buildings they're bleeding red ink. And with the development of a couple of promising COVID vaccines, maybe they're figuring that if they wait it out the economics of their business will change as we move through winter into spring.

The 'dispute' with the NHLPA over finances may be a guise by the owners to delay the NHL season again. Summer hockey anyone?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I'm beginning to seriously wonder how interested the owners are in starting the NHL season on January 1st. After all, with no fans in the buildings they're bleeding red ink. And with the development of a couple of promising COVID vaccines, maybe they're figuring that if they wait it out the economics of their business will change as we move through winter into spring.

The 'dispute' with the NHLPA over finances may be a guise by the owners to delay the NHL season again. Summer hockey anyone?
Got to have any season this year concluded before the Olympics, which start July 14. NBC are the TV rights holders to the Olympics, so they will for sure want the NHL playoffs done before July 14, and likely sooner. If there is Summer NHL, it’s only for a week into July. June 21 to July 10th, so a couple to three weeks of actual summer hockey?
I think we start Feb 1st. Play in the Canadian Division. Maybe 48 games? Then playoffs within divisions starting May. Cup awarded no later than July 10th.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Can't wait for bragging rights over other Canadian teams as the Canucks run through a divisional playoff.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Can't wait for bragging rights over other Canadian teams as the Canucks run through a divisional playoff.
I like your optimism, but last summer's NHL playoffs were a total aberration. No travel; no real home games; and zero atmosphere in the building because of an absence of any fans. I really believe that the format definitely worked in the Canucks favor.

Look at the Blues series that went six games. Normally that would have meant the first two games in St. Louis; followed by two games back in Vancouver; then back to St. Louis for Game #5 and then back to Vancouver for Game #6. And if the series went the distance, it would back on the plane for a seventh game back in St. Loo.

Sorry, but there's almost no chance the Canucks win that series with all the travel. And even if they had, they'd have been steamrollered by Vegas in the next round with nothing left in the tank.

So in terms of assessing the Canucks chances in an all-Canadian division, I place almost zero emphasis on last summer's playoffs. So unless unproven guys like MacEwen, Virtanen, Juolevi, Demko, Rathbone and maybe Rafferty absolutely blow your doors off (unlikely), the Canucks are in tough to even make the playoffs.

Rumsfeld

Oct 3, 2020
Look at the Blues series that went six games. Normally that would have meant the first two games in St. Louis; followed by two games back in Vancouver; then back to St. Louis for Game #5 and then back to Vancouver for Game #6. And if the series went the distance, it would back on the plane for a seventh game back in St. Loo.

Sorry, but there's almost no chance the Canucks win that series with all the travel. And even if they had, they'd have been steamrollered by Vegas in the next round with nothing left in the tank.

The Canucks essentially were steamrolled by Vegas. That was the most ridiculously one-sided 7-game series I've ever seen.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I like your optimism, but last summer's NHL playoffs were a total aberration. No travel; no real home games; and zero atmosphere in the building because of an absence of any fans. I really believe that the format definitely worked in the Canucks favor.

So in terms of assessing the Canucks chances in an all-Canadian division, I place almost zero emphasis on last summer's playoffs. So unless unproven guys like MacEwen, Virtanen, Juolevi, Demko, Rathbone and maybe Rafferty absolutely blow your doors off (unlikely), the Canucks are in tough to even make the playoffs.
Agreed. We will be hard pressed to get into the top four in a Canadian Division. I see as as sixth actually, and only ahead of Ottawa. We took a big step back losing Marky, Tofoli, and Tanev. And we are still stuck with playing Loui, Sutter, Rooster, Beagle, Myers, Benn, and Furland.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
We lost a lot from our core with Marky and Tanev. I think we take a big step back this season.
Calgary
Toronto
Edmonton
Montreal
Winterpig
Canucks
Ottawa

We will draft top ten in 2021.
Granted the offseason isn't over, but so far looking at all the Canadian teams it seems like everyone but the canucks improved.

Right now I probably have it:

Toronto
Edmonton
Calgary
Winnipeg
Montreal
Canucks
Ottawa

HockeyNightInAsia

Mar 22, 2020
Has anyone not picked Sens at bottom?

My main view is that, if someone offers me reasonable odds to bet Sens not be bottom, I take it. The off-season acquisitions while keeping enough room for good prospects like Josh Norris coming in, is a typical recipe for reasonable improvement. All it takes is one other team to suck for them not be bottom.

Of course, it’s a crapshoot picking that team too, LOL. Could be Jets without a good Hellebuyck, Oilers who can’t replace a Klefbom, Flames with an injured Marky etc..... and of course as a Nucks fan I refuse to see Nucks there.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Sens will be much improved, montreal and winnipeg could go either way, Toronto edm CAL should be easily the top 3.

Vancouver improved the least and has the most question marks, could finish top 3 with demko being unreal and EP/Hughes being ppg+, or could be bottom 3 with a porous defense...

I'm ready to watch and find out.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
The Canucks essentially were steamrolled by Vegas. That was the most ridiculously one-sided 7-game series I've ever seen.

Vegas couldn't score when it mattered and it bit them in the butt against Dallas. I wouldn't say that about the whole series though, Canucks didn't really start rope-a-doping until Markstrom went down. Before, their D just couldn't handle Vegas' size up front, but the Canucks were definitely trying to score. After game 4, they sat back and waited for odd man rushes and didn't forecheck at all. That was a conscious strategy with the injuries piling up. Demko was good, no doubt, he saved at least 3 or 4 sure goals, but Vegas should have had way more chances. That they didn't shows, to me, a fundamental flaw in how that Vegas team in constructed. Getting Demko'd was just an excuse for their poor offensive cohesion and Dallas proved it.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Has anyone not picked Sens at bottom?

My main view is that, if someone offers me reasonable odds to bet Sens not be bottom, I take it. The off-season acquisitions while keeping enough room for good prospects like Josh Norris coming in, is a typical recipe for reasonable improvement. All it takes is one other team to suck for them not be bottom.

Of course, it’s a crapshoot picking that team too, LOL. Could be Jets without a good Hellebuyck, Oilers who can’t replace a Klefbom, Flames with an injured Marky etc..... and of course as a Nucks fan I refuse to see Nucks there.

The Sens should most certainly finish at the bottom in a Canadian, but what you're looking at is standard dark horse potential. Enough promising young players sprinkled through the line up that a bunch of them breaking out at the same time could change the dynamic of the team, but it's not likely to happen or if it does there's still significant flaws in the team: defense is weak and Murray is a huge question mark in net.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Vegas couldn't score when it mattered and it bit them in the butt against Dallas. I wouldn't say that about the whole series though, Canucks didn't really start rope-a-doping until Markstrom went down. Before, their D just couldn't handle Vegas' size up front, but the Canucks were definitely trying to score. After game 4, they sat back and waited for odd man rushes and didn't forecheck at all. That was a conscious strategy with the injuries piling up. Demko was good, no doubt, he saved at least 3 or 4 sure goals, but Vegas should have had way more chances. That they didn't shows, to me, a fundamental flaw in how that Vegas team in constructed. Getting Demko'd was just an excuse for their poor offensive cohesion and Dallas proved it.

I agree with Hammer. One the one hand, Vegas had issues scoring. On the other hand, all season long the Canucks relied on great goaltending and offensive production from their best players. The Canucks got that in the playoffs. To me, it really wasn't a fluke that the series went to 7 games.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
The closest shot attempt game was game one. Score effects of the 5-0 beat down.

Dallas did that to Vegas, Colorado, and Calgary.

This idea that the Canucks rope a doped Vegas and found their fatal flaw is ridiculous.

Thats what you call a two line team getting owned by a 4 line team.

Getting shutout 3 times in a series is a getting outplayed to the level the Canucks did shows how far off the level they are not that they figured it out. Vegas still got unreal opportunities in the low slot. The best maps look like a mountainous inferno in front of the Canucks map during every game even the suggested rope a dope games.

That was as dominant a 7 game series I’ve ever seen. They weren’t rope a doping they were getting dominated and couldn’t do much about it.

Edit* Are you suggesting Dallas also rope a doped Vegas? Or are you just saying their scoring dried up when it mattered? Vegas played well continued to get their net front looks, just couldn’t cash. I didn’t think they were rope a doped. I don’t think the Canucks controlled the game. Vegas still got what they wanted to when they wanted it. Just didn’t find the gaps in the goalie.

Last edited:

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

This idea that the Canucks rope a doped Vegas and found their fatal flaw is ridiculous.

Getting shutout 3 times in a series is a getting outplayed to the level the Canucks did shows how far off the level they are not that they figured it out. Vegas still got unreal opportunities in the low slot. The best maps look like a mountainous inferno in front of the Canucks map during every game even the suggested rope a dope games.

That was as dominant a 7 game series I’ve ever seen. They weren’t rope a doping they were getting dominated and couldn’t do much about it.

Edit* Are you suggesting Dallas also rope a doped Vegas? Or are you just saying their scoring dried up when it mattered? Vegas played well continued to get their net front looks, just couldn’t cash. I didn’t think they were rope a doped. I don’t think the Canucks controlled the game. Vegas still got what they wanted to when they wanted it. Just didn’t find the gaps in the goalie.
We got killed by Vegas, and we are now a lesser team than that one. We are finishing six out of seven in a Canadian division. We still have to play Loui, Sutter, Rooster, Beagle, Myers, and (maybe?) Furland and Baertchi. My God those guys are terrible. We are at least a year away, likely two, from actually becoming a better team than we were at the end of last season. We are going backwards, as pointed out by Miller.

Reactions: Clinton Comets EHL

Ottobot

Aug 9, 2020
Not looking forward to it. Replace Cali teams with Toronto, Montreal and Ottawa (last two going to be real PITA imo) + throw Winnipeg in there and it’ll be a dogfight to be a .500 team.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
We got killed by Vegas, and we are now a lesser team than that one. We are finishing six out of seven in a Canadian division. We still have to play Loui, Sutter, Rooster, Beagle, Myers, and (maybe?) Furland and Baertchi. My God those guys are terrible. We are at least a year away, likely two, from actually becoming a better team than we were at the end of last season. We are going backwards, as pointed out by Miller.

Simply not enough money after what has already been committed. Everyone knew it. The other option was to sell future assets and go for it now to dump the bad contracts but no one interested in that, even around the NHL. Marc Staal seemed like the only cap dump around.

Canadian division, just the odd part is the time zone issue. But, they make up for it by doing a baseball style back to back in the same city. So, you play in Ottawa on Tue/Wed then get Thu/Fri off, before playing in Tor for both Sat/Sun. Makes more sense that way. Just have to manage the timing of games as there are only 7 teams in the division, not everyone is playing on the same night. 1 team has to be off.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Granted the offseason isn't over, but so far looking at all the Canadian teams it seems like everyone but the canucks improved.

Right now I probably have it:

Toronto
Edmonton
Calgary
Winnipeg
Montreal
Canucks
Ottawa
Instead of talking about how our team is behind 5 of the other 6 teams, we should be talking about how we are better than . . . well . . . better than Ottawa.

2021-2021 Better than Ottawa! The banner raising ceremony will be glorious to behold.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
It will be a real toss up this year. I want to see what happens with throwing Juolevi Rathbone and Rafferty to the wolves. Those 3 and benn should be our 5 - 8. And Hoglander. give him a shot. Either we suck and have a lottery pick, or they surprise and we challenge. I believe EP and Hughes can do anything.

Sure our depth sucks. That sutter beagle Erickson Ferland Baertschi crowd have not been good, but just play the hell out of them. so it goes. Roussel was pretty invisible during the season, but he was good in the playoffs. Maybe Jake will progress.

Maybe one of Lind, Woo, Lockwood and/or Hawryluk will supplant some of our waiver garbage that no one will claim. And wouldn't Podkolzin be a nice addition, having being (sort of ) seasoned in the KHL for a couple of years.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I see the Toronto-centric Sportsnet crew has the Canucks finishing ahead of only Ottawa and Montreal in the new Canadian Division. And of course the Leafs are the network's pick.

But the Leafs had better pray nothing happens to their starting goalie.....because it's a long drop-off to the backups.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I see the Toronto-centric Sportsnet crew has the Canucks finishing ahead of only Ottawa and Montreal in the new Canadian Division. And of course the Leafs are the network's pick.

But the Leafs had better pray nothing happens to their starting goalie.....because it's a long drop-off to the backups.
Each team has their issues.

The main thing for the NHL with a 7 team division is that they need to plan it out so that it reduces travel since they are crossing 4 time zones. And there is 1 team that is off each day at a minimum.

As we are seeing in the NFL, Covid can wreak havoc on your roster.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I don’t think putting Vancouver 4th or 5th is unreasonable.

I think Toronto and Calgary are clearly the deeper rosters. I don’t see it as Toronto bias, they have two first lines.

Edmonton, Winnipeg and Vancouver could all go either way.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna

I didn't say the shot attempts were even, I'm saying they stopped trying to score after game 4 and just sat back on their heels and waited for odd-man rushes the other way. Canucks won 3 games in this series, you are giving Vegas waaaaay too much credit. They looked like the gang that couldn't shoot straight out there. Dallas showed that Vegas isn't the team you are making them out to be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad