Speculation: What do you think about the whole canadian division

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
The Canucks look like are going to play in a All Canadian Division this year, which could be one of the hardest in the NHL.
How well do you think the Canucks will do?
I know one thing, being able to play teams like the Habs and leafs so many times is going to be so damn fun on here and on TV.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Lotta travel for us. Three eastern teams with a HUGE advantage

More advercity

platotld

Fly Canucks Fly
Jun 18, 2014
Fraser valley
Toronto
Edmonton
Calgary
Vancouver
Montreal
Winnipeg
Ottawa

I think we regress a bit this year with Demko and new players, I hope I am wrong. I just do't see Vancouver being better then TO or Edmonton (only cause they have the best two players in the group), toss up between Calgary and Van and well go from there.

Last edited:

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
There's one heavy team (WPG) and everyone else attacks off the rush. I think our D may struggle with this - Juolevi especially. On the flip side, our forward core should feast on track meet hockey all year long. Expect EP to have a breakout year statistically.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
I suspect we will see mostly back to back games. Play Ott Mont and Tor 2 times each on a road trip over a 10 day period. Same with Winn Cal and Edm. And then long home stands with back to backs. If its a 50 game season 2 road trips to each region would pretty much take care of the season. That would be 4 6 game road trips. Make one of the a triple header and thats your 25 road games.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
at least there is no team in st john's.

i will guess there will be a lot of 3 game road trips for western clubs, (play either all three eastern teams or the other 3 western teams) and 2 and 4 game trips for eastern clubs.

interesting to see whether the travel and canadian market intensity takes a toll.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
well, they have no short trips ... then again neither do the Canucks. Montreal Ott and Tor get the breaks, but this is also true of a normal season. And I think they will play each team twice on every trip.

edmonton and calgary are roughly the same travel time for us as ottawa-montreal-toronto. their flights are maybe 20-30 minutes quicker, but the airport futzing around is the same and we can get to the airports slightly faster than they can.

if the east coast teams start all their western road trips in winnipeg they do have an advantage, but if they start in vancouver and work their way east, it's pretty comparable..

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I see Toronto as the best team.

Then I see Calgary.

Then I see Edmonton, Vancouver, and Winnipeg as the 3 competing for the guaranteed spot.

Montreal was bad last year and capitalized on having a younger team face the older Penguins in the bubble, I don't think they're that good. I think they're an ~82-85 point team in 82 games.

Ottawa won't be great, but I think they'll be better than many expect and will have a really fun time trying to spoil everyone elses party. They've also got mountains of assets and cap space to fix that D if they want, but they'll probably ride out one more bad lottery season before they rise.

iloovRMB

Paul Feyerabend is my spirit animal
Aug 22, 2020
These will be the standings after the end of the season:

Vancouver
Edmonton
Calgary
Toronto
Montreal
Winnipeg
Ottawa

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Other than the Sens...you can throw all the other Canadian teams in a hat, shuffle, and pick one..I dont think there's any one decisive Canadian team..Last season, (minus the Sens).. all the teams were in the thick of the playoff pack..

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
We lost a lot from our core with Marky and Tanev. I think we take a big step back this season.
Calgary
Toronto
Edmonton
Montreal
Winterpig
Canucks
Ottawa

We will draft top ten in 2021.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
The Canucks look like are going to play in a All Canadian Division this year, which could be one of the hardest in the NHL.
I know one thing, being able to play teams like the Habs and leafs so many times is going to be so damn fun on here and on TV.

The Canadian division will be by far the easiest division. There isn't a single team in there that's a legit contender. And you got Ottawa and Winnipeg who are honestly pretty bad.

I think a Canadian division will be fun (if not gimmicky but I get why they need to do it in these times), but it's an absolute blessing for the Canuck's playoff chances.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Is it written in stone that all the games in the upcoming season will be played in every Canadian city's rink? I thought the first first part of the season might have be played in 'bubble cities' like the recent Stanley Cup playoffs?

It that's the case, then the travel won't be too onerous for the Canucks. The problem is that there are no patsies in this Canadian Division. Every game will be a nail-biter. The Canucks could be be 20 percent better than they were last season, and still miss the playoffs.

My gut tells me that this could turn into a 'development year' for the Canucks as they transition from aging, slowing veterans by introducing young guys into the lineup, ready or not.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016

Definately not the hardest division. I expect something like this;

Canadian:
Calgary
Edmonton
Montreal
Ottawa
Toronto
Vancouver
Winnipeg

West:
Anaheim
Arizona
Colorado
Dallas
LA
San Jose
St. Louis
Vegas

Central:
Boston
Buffalo
Chicago
Detroit
Florida
Minnesota
Nashville
Tampa

Metro:
Carolina
Columbus
New Jersey
Islanders
Rangers
Philidelphia
Pittsburgh
Washington

Maybe add St Louis to the west to have the same amount of teams to each conference.

The Metro would still be the toughest by far. Central is probably a bit tougher than the Canadian division. West would definately be easier during the regular season, but harder in the playoffs.

Edit. Forgot Boston. Added them in and switch St. Louis to the west

Last edited:

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Definately not the hardest division. I expect something like this;

Yep. I don't get this sentiment the Canadian division will make it tougher for the Canucks. It's a blessing for their playoff hopes. The other realigned divisions will be much more difficult.

It's basically Toronto (who aren't even true contenders) and a mixed bag of mediocre teams. Lots of open playoff slots.

In a West division, the Canucks aren't getting ahead of Dallas, Colorado, or Vegas. Tampa, Boston, or Carolina? Oh good god. CBJ, PIT, WAS, and the New Yorks would be tough to get points off of too.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Yep. I don't get this sentiment the Canadian division will make it tougher for the Canucks. It's a blessing for their playoff hopes. The other realigned divisions will be much more difficult.

It's basically Toronto (who aren't even true contenders) and a mixed bag of mediocre teams. Lots of open playoff slots.

In a West division, the Canucks aren't getting ahead of Dallas, Colorado, or Vegas. Tampa, Boston, or Carolina? Oh good god. CBJ, PIT, WAS, and the New Yorks would be tough to get points off of too.

The best part is if the Canucks make it through the CDN division playoffs they likely won't be as banged up as the winner for any of the other 3 divisions. Opens up a window of opportunity for the Canucks that wasn't there before.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->