TSN: What do you think about the whole canadian division?

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
He’s taxed on all income. So, if he’s unable to declare his residency for Arizona for a calendar year due to the excess time spent in Canada he’ll be hit with it either for 2020 or 2021, potentially both. In the CRA’s eyes it doesn’t matter how his income is structured.

Don't forget that guys with his income can afford to hire the best tax accountants and tax lawyers in the country.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Don't forget that guys with his income can afford to hire the best tax accountants and tax lawyers in the country.
If he ends up in Canada for over 180 days, he's going to have tax issues. I don't feel bad for anyone who is paid 11m a year to play a sport having to pay their fair share of taxes, but obviously, it'd be an annoyance for that person.

LEAFSANDBILLSFAN

May 3, 2020
Thrilled. If this board is any indication of what we can expect, how could you not be thrilled? Let's be honest the Western Canadian Teams are more excited to play us than any American Eastern Teams not named Boston, Buffalo, or Detroit (debatable). I am a shift worker so the late games won't bother me.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Could be boring watching the same teams over and over but could also lead to come added hate developing. That I'd like to see.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I think it's the best thing for hockey. Rivalries galore and at least Cdns will watch to see who the Cdn champ is. No one watched the cup. Bettman ruined the NHL, A Cdn league helps fix it.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
If he ends up in Canada for over 180 days, he's going to have tax issues. I don't feel bad for anyone who is paid 11m a year to play a sport having to pay their fair share of taxes, but obviously, it'd be an annoyance for that person.
He's an American so he's liable for US tax as an American living abroad . CRA uses 183 days for actual Canadians not 180 , he may under the tax treaty be liable for tax in both countries .
Back to the actual topic of the thread a Canadian division could be a lot of fun to watch but what does it do at playoff time when its becomes about the conference ?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
He's an American so he's liable for US tax as an American living abroad . CRA uses 183 days for actual Canadians not 180 , he may under the tax treaty be liable for tax in both countries .
Back to the actual topic of the thread a Canadian division could be a lot of fun to watch but what does it do at playoff time when its becomes about the conference ?

Cross the conference bridge when it comes. If Covid is still a major issue, they probably do division playoffs, then winners of division, then east west....

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
In a perfect world they get rid of divisions altogether and go with a more European soccer approach. But it would be kinda cool to see an all Canadian division.

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
An all canadian division would definitely ratchet up the energy and excitement for a season with no fans. WHO wouldn't want to see Matthews VS McDavid 15-20 times???

Reactions: Ginger Papa

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
My wife is a Yank and she files 2 returns - first in Canada and then in US. But she is a Canadian resident. After she pays Canadian taxes her American taxes owing are nothing. US taxes are a tiny fraction of Canadian taxes.
One of my sons is a dual citizen in hockey and lives/resides in Florida but used to play here in Canada most of his home games. His team deducted his tax withholding every 2 weeks from his pay. and then you have to deal with CRA to get back some tax withholdings as a US resident. Da teams have no say in this issue. And unless you have a great tax plan which expensive tax accountants prepare/defend for you you are not gonna fight them on your own. It is complex stuff like real complex. Guys like Matty would pay well north of $100K per on this expertise at like $1,800 per hour.

McSnypsky

Jun 22, 2019
With the Raps being denied playing in TO it's all but certain that there will have to be a Canadian division. I do think they will do what they did with MLS though and after they played each other like 4 times they will move to play in the US until Playoffs

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
In a perfect world they get rid of divisions altogether and go with a more European soccer approach. But it would be kinda cool to see an all Canadian division.
That hardly seems perfect. Most would prefer all games in the eastern time zone not less.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
An all Canadian division would definitely ratchet up the energy and excitement for a season with no fans. WHO wouldn't want to see Matthews VS McDavid 15-20 times???

Lots , like say any fans that don't follow Leafs nor Oilers. :)

Not only would you have no fans in the building, you also would have limited fans on TV tuning in to see that same event over and over and over again. IMO

Would you tune it to see Montreal play Ottawa 20 times or Vancouver play Winnipeg 20 times over the span of 3-4 months?

An all Canadian Div would only work globally if you had the Canadian Div play off against USA Divisions in a somewhat balanced schedule that exists today of a slight one favouring Div play.

An all Canadian independent league would be the equivalent of the CFL pretending its the NFL and calling them equals when competing for the same Cup. Sort of like the BC Lions or Toronto Argonauts playing the Seattle Seashawks or Pittsburgh Steelers essentially.

KyleDubasBoyGeniua

Nov 20, 2020
He's gotten 30.4 milion U.S the last 2 Canada days alone in bonuses. That more than makes up for any argument he'd make more in the U.S.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
The issue isn’t feeling bad for him. The only issue is Will the tax situation cause him to walk as a free agent after his contract?

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009

this is why Leafs usage of signing bonuses mitigate this

so in matthews case, he's been paid $15.2 million already and the games played in canada amount to $700k

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
this is why Leafs usage of signing bonuses mitigate this

so in matthews case, he's been paid $15.2 million already and the games played in canada amount to $700k
Signing bonuses don't do anything in this case. It's about where he has to pay taxes, with a Canadian division, he likely doesn't spend enough time in Canada to avoid paying perment resident taxes whereas he usually pays them in Arizona.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad