What do you think about Pens getting Crosby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
salty justice said:
Im happy the Ducks didnt get him.

But Pittsburgh has had a ridiculous number of high end picks throughout the history of their existance. In 38 drafts they have had 7 top 2 picks (3 1sts), and 13 top 5 picks. Chicago has had 1 #2 pick (0 1sts) and 8 top 5 picks in 43 drafts.

The NHL bailed out Pittsburgh once again. I love Mario, but if Crosby isnt enough to save this franchise they need to be moved already. If the NHL showed half as much patience with teams like Hartford, Quebec, and Winnipeg and gave them multiple 1st overall picks, we wouldnt have hockey teams dying in the South today.
didn't quebec get three #1s in a row?

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
I'm very unhappy that Crosby went to Pittsburgh, but I don't think that it was rigged in any way.

First of all, it seems like he's going to be a generational talent, and Pittsburgh has already had theirs (almost 2 with Jagr), and they have a couple cups to show for it. Boston had Orr, Edmunton had Gretz, and Pittsburgh had Lemieux... and now they get Crosby too? IMO it's unfair to many other teams who should get their chance. (BTW, if Crosby turns out to be a cut below, maybe Sakic or Forsburgh type production, this and the next point are null and I have no problem with Pittsburgh getting Crosby)

Second of all, Crosby needed to go to LA or NY. I know a lot of Devils fans would disagree with me on this, but let's face facts. Hockey is slowly but surely going down the toilet in the U.S. Of course I would have loved to see NJD land that magical pick, but in truth, it would have been far better for hockey if he went to the Rangers. Far better to the point that I almost think they should have rigged the draft to that effect.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
tom_servo said:
Yeah, what are you talking about, Panasonic?

I'll third this. That doesn't make any sense at all, and I'll also add that the Pens have only "won" one first overall pick.

As for the question, obviously I'm thrilled. I guess I might be in the minority, but I'm not really too concerned with where Crosby would have ended up. To me it is 1/30 and almost the same any way it went. Certain hockey development considerations can be taken into account, but are almost moot because Crosby will either fufill his potential or he won't. Ovechkin doesn't have many stars to count on right now, but he and Crosby are both starting completely fresh in the NHL and will be able to make it or they won't.

I don't really like the dabble in the whole public relations/exposure side of this because frankly I think it is stupid. Without getting too long winded, I'll just say that I believe hockey can only be so successful in the US and by its nature has to be somewhat of a niche sport with many diehard followers. One player in any big city doesn't change that fact for me, thus I objectively view Crosby the same way were he in any market - great for that team's fans, and I'm jealous.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Dark Metamorphosis said:
didn't quebec get three #1s in a row?

Sundin, Nolan, and Lindros back-to-back-to-back.

Not bad. Not bad at all. Especially considering the 3 players who went #2 in those years were Dave Chyzowski, Petr Nedved, and Fat Balloon.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
bigjags said:
I'm glad the worst team got him.

However, I was hoping Pittsburgh would fold and move to Winnipeg. The fact that city needs to be 'rescued' every ten years or so annoyes me.

If the team would move to Winnipeg they'd need to be rescued every 5 minutes.

Mr. T

Feb 15, 2003
Panasonic Youth said:
How many other franchises have won as many first overall picks and done as little with them? one, the Washington Capitals.

Yea so I'm in this group.

Yeah, whatever did happen to that Lemieux guy?

formsoldier*

Blackjack said:
I'm very unhappy that Crosby went to Pittsburgh, but I don't think that it was rigged in any way.

Second of all, Crosby needed to go to LA or NY.

Well, I'm VERY happy we got Crosby, but to tell you the truth, I was actually hoping Los Angeles Kings would get him. (I'm crazy you say? : ).. Let me put it this way... I didn't even consider the thought of Crosby coming to Penguins, because that would be TOO sweet - so I didn't wanna get my hopes up. We need to spread out the hockeymap in North America ... Kings is after all a classic team a good fit marketwise too. I absolutely hate the NY Rangers, as a team and as an organization too. But if we disregard my personal feelings - NY Rangers don't exactly max out their talent. They'd probably trade him after a while too for an older super-talent (like say... Kovalchuk in 5 years? or something).

Los Angeles Kings all the way baby ... hockey is already big in the east. However Chicago would be a perfect candidate after that. There's a classic team who deserves more and they should get revitalized, hopefully they'll do good this year and hopefully Bill Wirtz gets fired.. (I was actually hoping a few months ago that Burke would get GM role in Chicago .. but no :( )

But with that said, I'm happy he came to Steel City, overwhelmingly happy :yo:

A quick summary, except Pens, my wishlist before the lottery:

1. Kings
2. Blackhawks
3. Sharks

cheers!

AgentNaslund*

im glad he went there. hes gonna save a struggling franchise and bring hockey back to pittsburgh. On top of playing with Mario Lemiuex will really help him. Im kinda glad hes not in the west too. it would have sucked if hes in anahiem.

Sykie

Feb 28, 2002
Geneva
snhl.free.fr
I'm over it, but I see the result as an incredible injustice.

Before the lotery, when talking about the team which don't deserve him, here is what I wrote here :

Pittsburgh with no hesitation.

There is 3 main reasons:

1. Lemieux. They tanked big time to get Mario Lemieux, who is arguably now the second greatest player in history and they had this guy for 20 years. This reason alone should be enough IMHO. This kind of player is so rare, it would not be fair at all if the same team got two generational talent in a row, especially considering they litteraly "stoled" Lemieux from the Devils.

2. An abondance of stars in the past. They had Jagr for years, and an history of great players. It's not all about Lemieux, there was plenty of great players in Pittsburgh over the years. Jaromir Jagr alone is close from a generational talent, they almost had 2 generational talents while some teams didn't even had one. It's time for other team to benefit of this kind of players to build around.

3. A stacked future. They had enough of high picks in the recent years. They finished last 2 years in a row, and even had a 5th overall pick the year before that. They now have a potential franchise goaltender, a franchise center, and some other very high regarded prospects. They was very "rewarded" for their failures over the recent years and have already more than enough to build in the future.

I don't really know who would really deserve Crosby (I've not even read this thread), but I'm sure of one thing : Pittsburgh doesn't deserve him.

I know I'll get flamed by Pens fans but let's face it, Pittsburgh already had his fair part of stars players, and they already have plenty to build around in the future.

And I'll add one last reason : The system was a joke, and seemed fixed for some teams to win it. Like usual the most influant persons had what they wanted. I could have lived with a system where the playoffs were penalized, although I didn't agree because failures were already rewarded and we start a new area, but the first pick stuff was just wretched and clearly here to destroy some teams chances (Caps and Panthers).

Do you think it's fair for the Panthers to be penalized for drafting Bouwmeester when Columbus draft Rick Nash ? Do you think it's fair for the Panthers to be penalized for drafting Nathan Horton when Pittsburgh draft Marc-André Fleury, or Columbus draft Nikolaï Zherdev ? Do you think it's fair for the Capitals to be penalized for drafting Alexander Ovechkin when Pittsburgh draft Evgeni Malkin ? Didn't these teams earned their right to draft a player conforming to their standings/lotery like everyone ?

If we follow this logic, why shouldn't we penalized Pittsburgh for drafting Malkin ? After all, isn't Malkin considered as a way better player than Barker ? And why shouldn't why penalized Pittsburgh for having the 2003 first overall choice ? Because the Panthers acquired the superstar Mikaël Samuelsson ? Is there a guy here to say Samuelson is as important as a playoffs spot ? It's better for me to stop here.

The system wasn't fair. Not even close. It's arbitrary at 100%. And I'm light with my words because in my opinion it was cheating at 100%. This is another reason I didn't want Pitsburgh to win it, I was rooting for a cheated team à la Caps or Panthers to win it.

Here was my opinion, why I think Pittsburgh didn't deserve him, and why I see the result as a complete injustice. Flame on if you want, I don't mind the opinion of the biased fans here...

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Pittsburgh was the only team besides Montreal that I didn't want him to go to.

Solely because the city sucks, and Lemiuex is a smug POS, and a bunch of other ****.

If he went to Montreal I'd just be sick of hearing how much better he is than any player ever.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
So you've got this guy, he wins the lottery in 1984. He then parlays his lottery winnings and becomes the richest guy in the world. After a series of bad investments, he files for bankruptcy and starts collecting welfare. A few years later then wins the lottery again. Doesn't seem to fair to me.

Last edited:

KeepitinPitt

Mar 31, 2004
Gibsonia, PA
Legionnaire said:
So you've got this guy, he wins the lottery in 1984. He then parlays his lottery winnings and becomes the richest guy in the world. After a series of bad investments, he files for bankruptcy. A few years later then wins the lottery again. Doesn't seem to fair to me.

What does Baldwin have to do with this? He doesn't own the team anymore, Mario does.

No Quarter*

Sykie said:
I'm over it, but I see the result as an incredible injustice.

Before the lotery, when talking about the team which don't deserve him, here is what I wrote here :

Pittsburgh with no hesitation.

There is 3 main reasons:

1. Lemieux. They tanked big time to get Mario Lemieux, who is arguably now the second greatest player in history and they had this guy for 20 years. This reason alone should be enough IMHO. This kind of player is so rare, it would not be fair at all if the same team got two generational talent in a row, especially considering they litteraly "stoled" Lemieux from the Devils.

2. An abondance of stars in the past. They had Jagr for years, and an history of great players. It's not all about Lemieux, there was plenty of great players in Pittsburgh over the years. Jaromir Jagr alone is close from a generational talent, they almost had 2 generational talents while some teams didn't even had one. It's time for other team to benefit of this kind of players to build around.

3. A stacked future. They had enough of high picks in the recent years. They finished last 2 years in a row, and even had a 5th overall pick the year before that. They now have a potential franchise goaltender, a franchise center, and some other very high regarded prospects. They was very "rewarded" for their failures over the recent years and have already more than enough to build in the future.

I don't really know who would really deserve Crosby (I've not even read this thread), but I'm sure of one thing : Pittsburgh doesn't deserve him.

I know I'll get flamed by Pens fans but let's face it, Pittsburgh already had his fair part of stars players, and they already have plenty to build around in the future.

And I'll add one last reason : The system was a joke, and seemed fixed for some teams to win it. Like usual the most influant persons had what they wanted. I could have lived with a system where the playoffs were penalized, although I didn't agree because failures were already rewarded and we start a new area, but the first pick stuff was just wretched and clearly here to destroy some teams chances (Caps and Panthers).

Do you think it's fair for the Panthers to be penalized for drafting Bouwmeester when Columbus draft Rick Nash ? Do you think it's fair for the Panthers to be penalized for drafting Nathan Horton when Pittsburgh draft Marc-André Fleury, or Columbus draft Nikolaï Zherdev ? Do you think it's fair for the Capitals to be penalized for drafting Alexander Ovechkin when Pittsburgh draft Evgeni Malkin ? Didn't these teams earned their right to draft a player conforming to their standings/lotery like everyone ?

If we follow this logic, why shouldn't we penalized Pittsburgh for drafting Malkin ? After all, isn't Malkin considered as a way better player than Barker ? And why shouldn't why penalized Pittsburgh for having the 2003 first overall choice ? Because the Panthers acquired the superstar Mikaël Samuelsson ? Is there a guy here to say Samuelson is as important as a playoffs spot ? It's better for me to stop here.

The system wasn't fair. Not even close. It's arbitrary at 100%. And I'm light with my words because in my opinion it was cheating at 100%. This is another reason I didn't want Pitsburgh to win it, I was rooting for a cheated team à la Caps or Panthers to win it.

Here was my opinion, why I think Pittsburgh didn't deserve him, and why I see the result as a complete injustice. Flame on if you want, I don't mind the opinion of the biased fans here...

That is the biggest load of whiny crap I've read on any of these boards in a long time.

Last edited by a moderator:

No Quarter*

Duane Allman said:
That is the biggest load of whiny crap I've read on any of these boards in a long time.

And honestly this is not a flame, this is the truth.

Last edited by a moderator:

Anksun

Dec 13, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
octopi said:
You forgot

4.) At least the Ducks didn't get him group of people (which I'm in)

5) Rigged! Rigged!

I'm also in the 4th group. At least partially, Obviously i was hoping for the habs to get him. When the habs were given the 5th pick, I immediatly take a look at which teams were still on the boards

Carolina, Anaheim, Minnesota and Pittsburgh. A massively easy choice, really.

So from the 5th pick and on, i was cheering for Pittsburgh to see him.
Because: a) the only team deserving in the east (Sorry Carolina fans, but a team there is a joke).
b) Anaheim and Minnesota are in the west + i dont considered The Mighty ducks a deserving nhl team and dont like Minnesota style of play (although the fans base might have deserved a high pick)

c) Mario Lemieux. Obviously, i'm from Quebec. So i was rather happy looking forward to see him play a bit with Lemieux. A decent consolation prize for Crosby to going to Montreal.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
I would have preferred Carolina, which needed him just as much, if not more. And I doubt their fans would be as smug as some of the Pittsburgh fans have gotten since the lottery and free agent frenzy.

No Quarter*

Jon Prescription said:
Pittsburgh was the only team besides Montreal that I didn't want him to go to.

Solely because the city sucks, and Lemiuex is a smug POS, and a bunch of other ****.

If he went to Montreal I'd just be sick of hearing how much better he is than any player ever.

Who are you to claims the city of PGH sucks?
I am a life long Pittsburgh resident and I think it really sucks that you can just come off and say something like that like it's nothing.
Do you know anybody in PGH personally and have you ever been in PGH to make those comments?
Let me ask you, where are you from? Philly?
Well let me tell ya I've been to Philadelphia before and there are a ton of true opinions about the city that I could write in this post, but the thing is if I post my opinions here I'd probably be banned from HFboards for life.
Plus also, I don't have terrible opinions of the majority of the Philly residents like I have about you.
Take that as you may.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Meh.. there were probably the only team that I didn't care got him. Really, all those "draft fix" paranoia theories and not one person mentioned the Pens.. The "next one" skating alongside one of the greats in Mario. Makes for great press.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
As a Canuck fan, Pittsburgh is the perfect team to get him (besides us).

We rarely play the Pens, and they are a struggling franchise. I would have been pissed off if he went to our Division, or anywhere in the Western Conference.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
Honestly, this was a ridiculous topic for a thread, especially a month after the fact. The moment I saw this thread I knew it would end up with flaming.

habs_24x

Sep 12, 2002
montreal
Visit site
Besides hoping to see him in Montreal, Pittsburgh is a great destination for Crosby.

You know that Lemieux will take great care of him and show him the ropes the correct way not to mention teaching him some secrets that only Le Magnifique knows! Truly happy for Crosby. but im not sure how much the Pens "deserved him"
considering all the top picks they had in the last couple years...

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
I think the lottery was fixed, but for all the right reasons

Pittsburg has been rewarded for serving the league since it's inception and will get another chance to build from the groud up with a generational talent on a fair economic ground.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Duane Allman said:
Who are you to claims the city of PGH sucks?
I am a life long Pittsburgh resident and I think it really sucks that you can just come off and say something like that like it's nothing.
Do you know anybody in PGH personally and have you ever been in PGH to make those comments?
Let me ask you, where are you from? Philly?
Well let me tell ya I've been to Philadelphia before and there are a ton of true opinions about the city that I could write in this post, but the thing is if I post my opinions here I'd probably be banned from HFboards for life.
Plus also, I don't have terrible opinions of the majority of the Philly residents like I have about you.
Take that as you may.

I have been there a number of times and the city sucks. Ranks up there with Providence and Hartford as the worst cities in the US. I've been there a NUMBER of times to visit friends and such, unfortunately. I hate the city and everything about it. Sorry to you if you like it, but it's not for me. You shouldn't get so offended that I hate your city. I don't know why you would.

And I really don't care what your opinion is on me, either. Why would I? This is the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad