What do you think about Pens getting Crosby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

formsoldier*

Allright, I checked around these boards... I sorted by name and went over 50 pages or something looking for "What do you think... " and I found nothing on Crosby&Pens. I've wondered for a while now. My gut says most aren't too happy about it.

So I'm wondering...you who AREN'T Penguins fans... your honest opinion/view/feelings/emotions/ about the fact that Penguins were the team that at last got him.

Are you mad? Happy for us? Think that the lottery was fixed as some others do? Are you frustrated? Are you worried? And so on and so on.

I'm expecting all types of replies... everything from an NHL-vide view, to a market-view... to a pure Hockey-view etc.

Thanks
Trooper,

"I could've just sit here with pee-stains on my rug..."

MAF

Feb 22, 2005
I think that's more of a rhetorical question. I guess there are 3 kinds of non-Penguins fans:

1.) The "Congratulations to the Pens" group of people

2.) The "Damn we didn't get him" group of people

3.) The "Damn we deserved him more than any other team" group of people

GaryU

May 17, 2004
Schaumburg,Il
Perhaps a last ditch attempt to keep hockey in Pit. Mario couldn't get a new building by himself, so if you add Sidney & still can't get one........
Actually, just the luck of the draw.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
MAF said:
I think that's more of a rhetorical question. I guess there are 3 kinds of non-Penguins fans:

1.) The "Congratulations to the Pens" group of people

2.) The "Damn we didn't get him" group of people

3.) The "Damn we deserved him more than any other team" group of people

You forgot

4.) At least the Ducks didn't get him group of people (which I'm in)

5) Rigged! Rigged!

signalIInoise

killed by signal 2
Feb 25, 2005
Latveria
I'm in sour grapes camp #2 from MAFs list above.

Naturally, I'd have loved it if the Sabres got him, but I'd have been just as happy if he'd ended up in Chicago, LA, NY or somewhere else where his visibility could have been maximized.

Also, I'm a long-term Mario hater. Just IMO, but he's always seemed like a smug, whiny ***** to me. He is to me what Barnaby is to so many others (I like Barnaby, though so there you go). It sucks to see him get any kind of good fortune.

On the other hand, it's nice for the fans of Pittsburgh, and I'm pleased you've got someone to look forward to seeing. I hope you guys get the most out of this kid you can. If this doesn't save hockey in Pittsburgh, hello again Hartford or Winnepeg.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
I'm a Capitals fan, but can honestly say that I was glad to see Pittsburgh win over any number of more well-established, star-laden teams. The idea that a current contender could land a player like that really stuck in my craw, so I was glad to see that it didn't happen. I didn't really relish the idea of him falling to the Rangers, despite their recent struggles, either. So I was pleased enough. As with any fan, I hoped my team would land him, but if that couldn't happen, Pittsburgh is as good as any other in a group of four or five teams that I would have liiked to see him go to, including Chicago, Buffalo, etc. The fact that it could have the effect of keeping that team in Pittsburgh is even better.

The Penguins might not have been the #1 team in my preference list, but I could certainly have thought of 20 teams I'd have wanted Crosby to go to less than Pittsburgh. So it worked out well enough.

Galchenkel

Nov 9, 2003
Saint Pierre
twitter.com
Honestly, as a Habs fan, I think that you were the team wich deserved him the most. After I saw Montréal getting the fifth pick i was hoping you were to get Crosby. You needed him on and off the ice. We all know that if you wouldn't have won the lottery you wouldn't have hired all these free agents 'cause you knew you were about to make money. Congratulations Pens. :handclap:

PS: good news we didn't lost him to Anaheim. I just can't imagine Crosby screaming "Couak Couak Couak...!!" to motivate teammates. :D

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
I don't mind so much, it's going to hurt all those Atlantic teams down the stretch, which they all thoroughly deserve.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
I,m a Habs fan and i was actually hoping for Crosby to go to Pittsburgh, after Montreal of course.. for 2 reasons

1.just the fact seeing him play with Mario a hole season made us think that he could win the scoring championship this year

2. Pittsburgh had alot to deal with over the years( Jagr, Kovalev, Straka, Lang, Kasparitis, getting a freackin building!) Pittsburgh was slowly losing hockey but i knew that Crosby there evreyting would change and it will. Hockey's back in Pittsburgh and it's there to stay!

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I think a lot of non-affiliated folks in the media like Bob McKenzie and such seemed rather pleased that the Penguins got Crosby. There could have been better destinations, perhaps, but there could have been worse ones.

Especially when it was down to Anaheim and Pittsburgh. To me, the better home for Crosby between those two is pretty obvious.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I am a Pens fan, so am cheating a bit by commenting but will keep it to one thought. I had said before the lottery in the long, long 'who is most deserving of Crosby' thread that the Crosby likely would have helped Pittsburgh more than any other city because they were the only ones with the 2007 'get a new arena or we leave' gun against their heads. I said then that getting Crosby would not guarentee a new arena but certainly would create excitement and ticket buying enough to make a huge difference in our attempt to influence what is done with slots money (really our only chance at a new arena).

Everything in fact has played out that way. Perhaps even more than my wildest hopes. Crosby still does not guarentee us the Pens staying but I like our chances a whole lot more now than I did before the lottery happened. And I felt fairly good about them then. Now, I just do not see how an arena can not happen with the excitement generated by this team. It would be political suicide for many.

Skroob*

Jacobv2 said:
Especially when it was down to Anaheim and Pittsburgh. To me, the better home for Crosby between those two is pretty obvious.

you mean playing in a small market with a history of financial troubles over a team that is in one of the biggest market areas on planet Earth??? yeah, you're right.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
it was one of my top 5 "best situation" teams for him, along with Columbus, Atlanta, Chicago, and Montreal. He will have more oppurtunities there than he would have had almost anywhere else.

Bluesman

Aug 3, 2005
I didn't mind at all...in fact I decided to do an ESPN 2K5 franchise with the Pens, as I found the combination of him and Mario too tempting to pass up.

I wish the Wild would have gotten him, I would have loved to see him feeding Gaborik for 10 years. After the season maybe I'll sign Gaborik to the Pens :) :) :)

MM425

Aug 14, 2005
What do I think? You act like it was a big suprise. I mean... Pittsburgh got lucky, really... thats all there is to it.

That said, I don't think there is a better player in the league that Sidney Crosby can learn under better than Mario Lemieux. I'm sure he'll have a great tenure in Pittsburgh with Mario, Pallfy, and the pens... until he turns 25.

Then Sid the Kid comes home and signs with the Habs, baby. :D

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Mackattack said:
What do I think? You act like it was a big suprise. I mean... Pittsburgh got lucky, really... thats all there is to it.

That said, I don't think there is a better player in the league that Sidney Crosby can learn under better than Mario Lemieux. I'm sure he'll have a great tenure in Pittsburgh with Mario, Pallfy, and the pens... until he turns 25.

Then Sid the Kid comes home and signs with the Habs, baby. :D

Where he can join Lecavalier . . . ;)

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Skroob said:
you mean playing in a small market with a history of financial troubles over a team that is in one of the biggest market areas on planet Earth??? yeah, you're right.
Yep. Because if they're such a big market they should have no problems selling out anyway.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
It is good to see Crosby go to a Pittsburgh for a variety of reasons. It's a franchise with a long history. He gets to play with Mario, and, more importantly, they really needed a player like him to rejuvunate interest.

I was happy for Pens fans, however, at the same time, I can't help but feel that Penguin fans are getting a little spoiled. Many franchises will go through their entire existence without ever seeing a player of the calibre of Lemieux, Jagr or Crosby play for their team, and the Penguins have lucked into landing three in the past 20 years (well, with Mario, they made their own luck ;) ).

It's not the fault of Pittsburgh fans, but, if, with a new CBA, and the appeal of Crosby, I hear of Pittsburgh having financial troubles stemming from lack of fan interest, I probably won't be too sympathetic. I don't expect that too happen though.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
discostu said:
It is good to see Crosby go to a Pittsburgh for a variety of reasons. It's a franchise with a long history. He gets to play with Mario, and, more importantly, they really needed a player like him to rejuvunate interest.

I was happy for Pens fans, however, at the same time, I can't help but feel that Penguin fans are getting a little spoiled. Many franchises will go through their entire existence without ever seeing a player of the calibre of Lemieux, Jagr or Crosby play for their team, and the Penguins have lucked into landing three in the past 20 years (well, with Mario, they made their own luck ;) ).

It's not the fault of Pittsburgh fans, but, if, with a new CBA, and the appeal of Crosby, I hear of Pittsburgh having financial troubles stemming from lack of fan interest, I probably won't be too sympathetic. I don't expect that too happen though.

Crosby-fueled Penguins dealing with sudden ticket frenzy
PITTSBURGH (AP) — Officials with the Pittsburgh Penguins' ticket office are already crediting highly touted draft pick Sidney Crosby with breaking a record — for ticket sales.
"There has never been a three-week stretch of season ticket sales like this," said Tom McMillan, vice president of communications and marketing. "Ever."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/nhl/penguins/2005-08-19-crosby-tickets_x.htm

............. Pens currently are on the verge of being completely sold out.

formsoldier*

Actually, funny you mention it, because a part of me has said that Crosby probably will be traded or might sign for another team in the feature, however I'm a paranoid person so....

Hopefully he plays for the Pittsburgh Penguins his whole career, as Mario did/is doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->