What do you look for in a hockey podcast? What are good NHL podcasts?

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Serious question.

Other than the hockey insider stuff (like the BobCast) and the TSN/Sportsnet/NHL Team stuff what are some examples of a good podcast to you? Do you want analysis? Humor? Updates? I'd like to see what kind of hockey podcasts are out there this season as I love to listen to good stuff from across the league. It doesn't matter if they're media or not.

BlackEye from Xhekaj

Mar 11, 2011
I started listening to a bunch of podcasts this summer at the gym. It's nice, most being an hour or so I can get through 4-5 episodes a week. I like a mix of humour, coverage and fantasy related stuff.

Spittin' Chicklets

-You can read all about it in the dedicated thread.

Dropping the Gloves

-John Scott hosts, mix of everything

Broad Street Hockey

-Flyers based (obviously) but I like the coverage

The Hockey PDOcast

-Dmitri Filipovic hosts - a mix of everything one of my favourites coverage wise.

Keeping Karlsson

-Fantasy related (great info)

Fantasy Hockey Podcast

-Same as above and both complement each other quite well.

Eyes on the Prize

-Habs related (even as a Habs fan - meh, its ok)

Puck Podcast

-Couple of LA based guys - break down the show into 3 periods. Mix of stories, coverage and other random filler.

Dobber Prospects Radio

-Fantasy related but also great if you're into random prospects as well

Would be the main ones I listen to. I follow a few more as well, but these are the ones off the top of my head.

vaspa

Sep 29, 2011
Helsinki
Puck Podcast is okay and I listen to it if I haven't followed hockey news for a week. It's not particularly funny or insightful, but they go through the week in the league very methodologically.

My current favourite is the 31 Thoughts podcast, I like Marek geeking on hockey history and Friedman is always well informed and well spoken. Couple of episodes a week would be great, but can't complain too much about free stuff.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
The Hockey News podcast is my favourite which is funny because I kinda hate the hockey news. It's well paced, has a 3-4 person crew, covers a wide range of teams and topics and is very enjoyable. So many bad takes and poor commentary though.

Paradise Circus

May 27, 2010
YVR
I started listening to a bunch of podcasts this summer at the gym. It's nice, most being an hour or so I can get through 4-5 episodes a week. I like a mix of humour, coverage and fantasy related stuff.

Spittin' Chicklets

-You can read all about it in the dedicated thread.

Dropping the Gloves

-John Scott hosts, mix of everything

Broad Street Hockey

-Flyers based (obviously) but I like the coverage

The Hockey PDOcast

-Dmitri Filipovic hosts - a mix of everything one of my favourites coverage wise.

Keeping Karlsson

-Fantasy related (great info)

Fantasy Hockey Podcast

-Same as above and both complement each other quite well.

Eyes on the Prize

-Habs related (even as a Habs fan - meh, its ok)

Puck Podcast

-Couple of LA based guys - break down the show into 3 periods. Mix of stories, coverage and other random filler.

Dobber Prospects Radio

-Fantasy related but also great if you're into random prospects as well

Would be the main ones I listen to. I follow a few more as well, but these are the ones off the top of my head.

Thanks for the insight!

BuffaloGooner

Sep 8, 2011
Sloan, NY
Spittin Chiclets is a must listen every episode

31 Thoughts podcast with Elliotte Friedman and Jeff Marek

Darren Dreger and Ray Ferraro just launched their podcast titled The Ray and Dregs Podcast.

These are my go to’s during the week.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Spittin Chiclets is a must listen every episode

31 Thoughts podcast with Elliotte Friedman and Jeff Marek

Darren Dreger and Ray Ferraro just launched their podcast titled The Ray and Dregs Podcast.

These are my go to’s during the week.

How's the Ferraro one? Im a fan of Ray, and hopefully Dreger stays out of his way for the most part.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
The Hockey News podcast is my favourite which is funny because I kinda hate the hockey news. It's well paced, has a 3-4 person crew, covers a wide range of teams and topics and is very enjoyable. So many bad takes and poor commentary though.
Their podcast is awful, they use awful equipment and the audio level of each persons mic is way different so I have to turn it up to hear the quieter one, and then the louder one will be excruciatingly loud. How cheap & bad their podcast is has actually soured my taking them seriously as a publication.

Spittin Chiclets is the best AINEC

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Here’s all ones I listen to
31 thoughts
Spitting chiclets
Hockey pdocast
Puck soup
Any Russo podcast(Wild specific)
Hockey Central
I also listen to other ones that are Wild specific and ones with hockey wives.

geisterpanthers

Feb 7, 2018
Germany
Spittin Chiclets- was listening to it a few times and they usually have an interview with an NHL player, normally I don't like interviews in Podcasts and then they are talking about stuff they are doing in their free time with the guy. Like what he did the last offseason in Vegas, I really don't care about that.

Puck Podcast- as somebody said, not very insightful but if you don't follow hockey much apart from your team maybe, it will make sure you won't miss anything important happening around the league

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
The Hockey Guy
I usually appreciate the work he puts in, but he rushes a lot of nightly recaps and it's clear he doesn't watch all the games (which to be fair is basically impossible). I'm not sure why he thinks he needs to get a video out so soon instead of taking a few more hours and being more informed. Some of the recaps are just flat out inaccurate

I was all over his channel in the summer, but now he has lost his credibility in my eyes.

Reactions: VA Oil

VA Oil

Oiler fan in Virginia
Dec 3, 2010
Danville, VA
I usually appreciate the work he puts in, but he rushes a lot of nightly recaps and it's clear he doesn't watch all the games (which to be fair is basically impossible). I'm not sure why he thinks he needs to get a video out so soon instead of taking a few more hours and being more informed. Some of the recaps are just flat out inaccurate

I was all over his channel in the summer, but now he has lost his credibility in my eyes.

I agree with you. I appreciate all the work the guy puts in, but a lot of his stuff seems really rushed and he makes a lot of mistakes by saying the wrong players name or mixing up teams and stats.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->