NFL: What do you guys do for the draft?

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Do you watch college football? If not then you would probably have a lot more interest if you did.

I love college football more than the NFL but that's not the point. Its long and I can just get the picks on my phone. What do I need to watch 6 hours of talking heads for? Its all meaningless until they play at the pro level they can say what they want.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Then don't watch it. Go watch your boy Skip Bayless.

NBA playoffs probably. I just don't get America's hype over sports drafts. What's so great about the jackass of a commissioner walking to a podium to announce a players name? What's the excitement that is supposed to make that compelling TV. They drown the thing out and make it a way slower process than it needs to be.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
NBA playoffs probably. I just don't get America's hype over sports drafts. What's so great about the jackass of a commissioner walking to a podium to announce a players name? What's the excitement that is supposed to make that compelling TV. They drown the thing out and make it a way slower process than it needs to be.
Boy are you on the wrong site!

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
What I do now: Sit at work, complain and reminisce about when the Draft started on Saturday morning.

I'll probably DVR and watch when I get home, but will probably take a quick break to watch the Chargers pick.

I know I should DVR the NFL Network's coverage, but there's something about ESPN's music that brings me back.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

It's not for everybody. I suppose I grew up watching it and I can understand how it might not resonate with younger folks.

At the most basic level, a good draft in the NFL can turn around your team almost instantly. The 2003 Chargers were awful and had the #1 pick. They made some good picks/trades at the 2004 Draft and subsequently went from 4-12 to 12-4.

Some years are more interesting than others. 2004 was great for drama since the Giants held the fates of Manning/Rivers/Roethlisberger in their hands. Imagine how different the last 10+ years could have been had they taken Roethlisberger at #4.

I imagine that most folks who post on a hockey prospects message board simply enjoy the draft process and being an armchair GM.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
The NFL draft attracts casual fans because you are getting immediate help for your team. The NHL? Kids (Literally) most have never heard of and will most likely not even make the league. Baseball? The same. NBA? Only 2 rounds and the Sixers deliberately tanking is a black eye.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
It's not for everybody. I suppose I grew up watching it and I can understand how it might not resonate with younger folks.

At the most basic level, a good draft in the NFL can turn around your team almost instantly. The 2003 Chargers were awful and had the #1 pick. They made some good picks/trades at the 2004 Draft and subsequently went from 4-12 to 12-4.

Some years are more interesting than others. 2004 was great for drama since the Giants held the fates of Manning/Rivers/Roethlisberger in their hands. Imagine how different the last 10+ years could have been had they taken Roethlisberger at #4.

I imagine that most folks who post on a hockey prospects message board simply enjoy the draft process and being an armchair GM.

I watched the 30 for 30 on the 83 draft. Good stuff but what happened at the 83 draft won't likely ever happen again. I mean in 04 yeah you had the QB trade so Manning wasn't a Charger and Rivers wasn't a Giant but think about that, 30+ years and only one other time. I wasn't alive in 83 but I'm guessing the time on the clock was less than 15 minutes. That's another thing that bugs me. These teams have a board and have to have a really good idea who they are taking. Granted yeah it depends on what the team in front of them do but it usually plays out unless a team makes a random pick. Teams milk that 15 for every damn second. I guess that's their right but again I have a hard time thinking they don't have their minds made up before the day. There's also way too many rounds. It seems like once you get past round 3 or so they stop breaking down the picks, pick by pick and can't keep up. I mean everything they say you can find the same or better analysis online. I guess in the beginning its suspense but its mostly predictable it seems.

I actually wanted to go to school to become a GM. I had people warn me about once you understand the business of sports you'll hate the business. Kind of true. I don't envy those GMs. I know I could do it but I don't care for the business having learned enough. Too much politics.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
The NFL draft attracts casual fans because you are getting immediate help for your team. The NHL? Kids (Literally) most have never heard of and will most likely not even make the league. Baseball? The same. NBA? Only 2 rounds and the Sixers deliberately tanking is a black eye.

Ill agree with you to a point. Mostly round 4+ most of those guys will be lucky to stay around period let alone long teem.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I wasn't alive in 83 but I'm guessing the time on the clock was less than 15 minutes. That's another thing that bugs me. These teams have a board and have to have a really good idea who they are taking. Granted yeah it depends on what the team in front of them do but it usually plays out unless a team makes a random pick. Teams milk that 15 for every damn second. I guess that's their right but again I have a hard time thinking they don't have their minds made up before the day.

The 15 minutes was overkill, but at least they've reduced it down to 10. Part of it was the poker game. Teams used up their allotted time just in case a trade scenario did pop up.

http://espn.go.com/nfldraft/columnist?id=1545117

There was a comical instance where Dallas and Kansas City were working out a trade and it didn't get completed until the 15 minutes were up. So Minnesota could have snuck in and made their pick, but they hesitated for a minute and DAL/KC got the paperwork in. Minnesota missed out on their preferred target (albeit they probably lucked into the better player).

Then the next year, Minnesota went over its allotted time and the next three teams made their picks immediately. Minnesota ended up with a tremendous guy in Kevin Williams but it didn't make their front office look good. But to your point, teams for the most part will know who they're picking but there's no penalty in taking your time. Plus in the first round, the TV broadcast will want a couple minutes to interview the players plus the time for photos/etc.

In 2004, I believe AJ Smith called Ernie Accorsi halfway through the Giants' 15 minute window. They found some common ground but couldn't hammer out a deal in 7 minutes. So the Giants ended up drafting Rivers and then finalized the trade a few minutes after that.

There's just something about drafts that I enjoy. I'm not even a big basketball fan and I've attended an NBA Draft.

One random clip I wish I could find was when the 49ers traded up for J.J. Stokes in 1995. Memory is fuzzy, but I seem to recall the crowd going into stunned silence like it was unfair that the Niners (a couple months removed from the Super Bowl win) were snatching up a premium talent.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
What has always annoyed me about NFL draft is that after first round they barely talk about players being drafted

Often they will go several selections without any discussion of players and it gets worse as draft goes along

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
I've always found drafts fascinating, period. But one of the big reasons I got into watching the NFL draft was that, back when it was a Saturday and Sunday event, it was the ultimate accompaniment to staying in your house and doing housework and other home things. It keeps your interest but you don't need to watch every second necessarily so you're still free to do things around the house -- those tasks that may take hours and you otherwise don't make time for.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
What has always annoyed me about NFL draft is that after first round they barely talk about players being drafted

Often they will go several selections without any discussion of players and it gets worse as draft goes along

It's better now with the NFL Network.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
While I get from an overall standpoint it has more importance the later picks are lucky if they even actually get signed to their contract/play for the team ever.

All draft picks get contracts. Teams allocate money for that specific reason. They all have signing bonuses and guaranteed money.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
In football you supplement your roster in rounds 4-7. Every round matters. Can't say the same for other drafts.

:nod:

You build winners in the late rounds. Not in the 1st round and certainly not in free agency for the most part. Cost-effective, quality depth is perhaps the most important thing in football just due to the fact that every team will suffer their fair share of injuries over the course of a season.

Hitting on guys late opens up a lot of options for teams- they can sign marquee UFA's because a lot of money isn't tied into backups or part-time guys, they can let UFA's walk and collect comp picks because they have quality depth that is ready to plug in, etc

Last edited:

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
:nod:

You build winners in the late rounds. Not in the 1st round and certainly not in free agency for the most part. Cost-effective, quality depth is perhaps the most important thing in football just due to the fact that every team will suffer their fair share of injuries over the course of a season.

Hitting on guys late opens up a lot of options for teams- they can sign marquee UFA's because a lot of money isn't tied into backups or part-time guys, they can let UFA's walk and collect comp picks because they have quality depth that is ready to plug in, etc

No, you build winners by having an elite QB. Hard to win without a QB usually.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Is it? They barely even mentioned who the Steelers drafted before OMG A TRADE HAPPENED.

They glossed over the Steelers pick for sure, but I thought overall the coverage on NFLN was decent. It was annoying how rarely they put up a "Best available" list, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad