NFL: What do you guys do for the draft?

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Does anyone here really do anything for, or even watch the draft? I was in the hospital during last years draft so I had to find out who my Rams picked in the newspaper. This year me and 3 friends were planning on going to Buffalo Wild Wings after practice to watch it.

Sep 19, 2008
They moved all that **** to cable plus it's "prime time" now so I don't bother watching past the first 5 or 6 picks anymore. I need to be in bed by 9:30.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I'll watch Round 1 with friends, the rest at home.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
drink beer and eat fried chicken

giphy.gif

darko

Feb 16, 2009
If I've got a day off work I'll sit around and have couple beers.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
A group of like 11-12 of us all meet at my friends place early. His community has a pool and stuff, then we start drinking and eating junk food. But, the biggest tradition is the game we play. We all throw $20 bucks in a pot, then make a list of 20 players we think will be drafted in the first round. Not order or anything, just first round selections.

Everyone that is right, gets you a point, at the end of the first round, whoever gets the most right, wins the pot.

snowden

Man is matter
Jul 5, 2011
Yeah they don't allow phones or relatives or anything in hospitals. Only newspapers

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Something different every year.

In college we would have a party/cookout thing where we'd place bets on certain picks. I nailed Malcolm Jenkins to the Saints in the middle of the 2009 first round. I also bet that Johnny Manziel would not go in the top of the first round, though that was after we graduated. After college we'd usually do the same thing, but more muted and with a smaller group. I graduated in 2010 so after that, with a real job, it was tougher to do anything exciting on Thursday nights when they expanded coverage (though I did have a flex schedule and showed up as late as possible on just about every other Friday). Now I live in Raleigh where my local friends aren't as big into the NFL as my previous group, who are scattered all across NC, and I've lost touch with some of them. I tend to watch instead with my brother and my dad (who are huge Dolphin fans) so I bandwagon outrage when Miami inevitably screws up again.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Early on I used to invite over friends. I'd have 2 TV's going, one with the draft, one with Madden or Tiger Woods. Always lots and lots of food and drinks. This was an all-day event, morning to midnight.

Then things started getting elaborate. One year I rented a huge 10 ft. projection screen and set it up in the backyard, next to the putting/chipping green I had already set up for myself. The next year we decided to take it to the next level and rented a golf simulator in addition to the big screen. It got bigger and bigger every year. More people from work started showing up, then random people from the neighborhood. It got all out of hand.

Then the draft went to Thursday night and nobody cared anymore. The same year all my friends and myself it seemed started getting married and moving away. Now I don't even bother, I'll get an update on my phone, shrug, say pfff never heard of him and get back to cleaning up whatever disaster mess my demon spawn children have made.

Sep 19, 2008
Early on I used to invite over friends. I'd have 2 TV's going, one with the draft, one with Madden or Tiger Woods. Always lots and lots of food and drinks. This was an all-day event, morning to midnight.

Then things started getting elaborate. One year I rented a huge 10 ft. projection screen and set it up in the backyard, next to the putting/chipping green I had already set up for myself. The next year we decided to take it to the next level and rented a golf simulator in addition to the big screen. It got bigger and bigger every year. More people from work started showing up, then random people from the neighborhood. It got all out of hand.

Then the draft went to Thursday night and nobody cared anymore. The same year all my friends and myself it seemed started getting married and moving away. Now I don't even bother, I'll get an update on my phone, shrug, say pfff never heard of him and get back to cleaning up whatever disaster mess my demon spawn children have made.

The thing is they put the damn thing on prime time now so on the East coast most people can't stay up late to watch it. When it was on a Saturday at noon it was great, you could chill and watch the game on a Saturday. Now they messed the whole thing up putting it over 3 days. It's so stupid

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
I go about my day like a normal person and if I happen to be around the TV around the time the Packers pick, I stop to watch. After that I continue to go about my day.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Watch as much as i can but when it takes a century for them to announce picks/analyze them/take pictures its hard. Usually stop after the top 10.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Nothing usually. The NFL draft isn't a big deal up here, especially with it being right in the middle of the NHL playoffs.

I usually watch up until Miami picks, then i can promptly get angry at them for doing something stupid, and then go about the rest of my night. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->