Speculation: What do you expect next year?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I really can't imagine they'll be doing much differently next year as they did last year. They won't start the year out horribly, but they also won't go on a ridiculous winning streak at the end of the season. I think the Pens this season will end up similar to the Pens last year and the Pens in 2013-2014, top-10 in goals for and goals against while finishing at the top of the Metro division.

If I had to predict some point totals, I'll say:

Crosby: 78 games, 38 goals and 94 points
Malkin: 67 games, 26 goals and 68 points
Letang: 64 games, 12 goals and 57 points
Kessel: 82 games, 29 goals and 67 points
Hornqvist: 74 games, 26 goals and 53 points
Bonino: 76 games, 14 goals and 41 points
Hagelin: 77 games, 22 goals and 45 points
Kunitz: 73 games, 15 goals and 36 points

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
Malkin TRADED
Murray DEMOTED and EXPANSION DRAFTED
Kunitz RE-SIGNED
Letang DEAD
Kessel FAT
Crosby DONE
Hagelin ALBATROSS
(Perron MISSED DEARLY)
Hornqvist STILL THE ONLY UGLY SWEDE EVER

Fourth in the Metro, swept in the second round.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
The Pens made most of the top players not show up this past playoffs. I am not sure it was Kuznetsov or the Pens being able to impose their will. Likely a bit of both as he had grown cold before the series. But that was one of the Pens' calling cards this past off season. They for the most part shut down the top players for opposing teams who could barely get a shot let alone a goal.

That's the thing. I think him not showing up the on the score sheet had more to do with him being cold then what PIT was doing.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Its going to be a tough year for sure.

I'd love to be optimistic, but cup hangover is a real thing. And the Penguins play in a division filled with bitter, jealous, a-holes. Whose the last metro team to win the cup besides Pittsburgh? Carolina? The Penguins soft style combined with that resentment is going to result in some cheap play. No doubt about it. They are going to be circled on a lot of calendars.

Under Sully and the roster changes, the Pens play really fast and disciplined now though.
You gotta catch em first to hurt em.
And if you do clip one, i doubt they'll retaliate.
Hope Phil gets more comfortable on our PP and it becomes more lethal.

Related to the questions above, what team do you see as closest to the Pens with multiple lines with speed, skill and scoring. Who is the closest Pens' clone in the NHL?

Tampa, Chicago, Dallas.
In terms of pure speed. Not necessarily depth.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Malkin TRADED
Kunitz RE-SIGNED
Letang DEAD
Kessel FAT
Crosby DONE
Hagelin ALBATROSS
(Perron MISSED DEARLY)

:laugh:

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Malkin TRADED
Kunitz RE-SIGNED
Letang DEAD
Kessel FAT
Crosby DONE
Hagelin ALBATROSS
(Perron MISSED DEARLY)

Amazing that they finished 4th in the Metro with all of that happening.

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
When you think about it: the Malkin trade finally brings in top six wingers, Letang having a heart attack at the zoo means the PP passes the eye test (even if it's objectively worse), fat Kessel is still good for 25 goals, and Hornqvist doesn't need to be beautiful to be Horny.

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009
Its tough to repeat in Any sport and hockey postseason is the toughest of all.

Wouldn't be shocked to see them struggle in the reg season and but hopefully turn it on at end of the year for another run

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
An individually successful but not completely convincing regular season, a bunch of injuries. At least one major player not available for the playoffs after playing so many games over the last few seasons and breaking down. Get to round 2 or 3 after lifting our game in time for the playoffs but run out of puff and lose in 7 to someone like the Caps or Florida.

Sid 40 g 50 a
Malkin 30 g 30 a (in 55 games)
Kessel 30 g 30 a (in 80 games)
Letang 12 g 50 a (in 60 games)

Fleury traded around the deadline for less than we want.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Crosby will get over 100 pts and win the Art.

Hagelin will pick up where he left off and have a career year(first time over 20 goals).

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
That's the thing. I think him not showing up the on the score sheet had more to do with him being cold then what PIT was doing.

He went cold at the around the halfway mark of the season. He tore it up early on when the east was a mess, and then teams got their crap together and then the Caps were barely winning but winning a lot by the skin of their teeth.

The Caps did themselves no favors bringing in known crap players. Richards off a fresh buyout, Weber, Weber...... and Winnik.

They got older and slo...wer.

I was shaking my head when I heard these guys being added while most thought they were loading up for bear, what bear...? The ones in the road kill pit?

They were not winning the cup.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
I think we will start slowish and finish strong again. 45-50 wins included shootouts. Finish 2nd in division and top 4 in conference. Average 3-3.3 goals per game and allow 2.2-2.5 per game. Sid and Geno will average just over a PPP and Letang and Kessel just under a ppg.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Yeah, I don't expect a start anywhere near last years. This year will be better overall as a whole.

Top 4 finish while looking much better. 100+ points

40+ wins and some loser points
The depth will allow everyone to get near normal goal/assists/points status.
Goaltending is rock solid.
Defense took a small hit.

I expect to make the playoffs before the halfway point ever comes to light this go around.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
Crosby 81 GP/ 43 G/ 56 A /96 PTS
Malkin 74 GP /29 G/ 40 A/ 69 PTS
Letang 73 GP/ 15 G/ 49 A/ 64 PTS
Kessel 82 GP/ 33 G/ 45 A/ 78 PTS

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
What do I expect next year?

I expect Malkin to put in his typical 60ish games.

I expect Kessel to be tossed around in the line up and never really establish his line, again.

I expect the playoff hero rookies to start hot and then fizzle out by November, leaving roster holes in our entire left side outside of Hagelin.

I expect people will start missing Fleury starting, our regular season win-machine.

I expect rumblings of selling the team to start creeping up to the front page again, becoming a huge distraction.

I expect the panic of a new, weird expansion draft rule to throw everything into turmoil at the trade deadline.

I expect Hillary Clinton to become president.

But I've always been hopeless cynic and imaging the worst things are going to happen just so I won't be disappointed when they do, and only super relieved/happy when they don't.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site

Not sure I agree with that. I think that the Pens relentless style put teams on their heals. It wasnt about defending against those guys as much as forcing THEM to work for pucks and defend.

Next year I think the Pens can get even better. Maybe a little bit sneaky more than just throwing pucks on net. The PP should take over games and they can get better when teams take away the walls on the breakout.

Whale Mingo

Nov 18, 2012
Haglin will have a career year with speculation that he's always been that good and it just never worked out to that level for him before.

I fully expect Crosby to have his best season yet. He's not the type to settle, even after winning a Cup, I expect his motivation prove himself as the clear cut best player on the planet to be evident right from October.

The rest of the league should be on notice. The haters, are gonna hate.

FDR

Apr 27, 2015
I really don't care what we do during the regular season so long as we heat up towards the end heading into the playoffs.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Falling just short of the SCF.

2nd in the east. crosby wins one more art ross. they lose in the conference finals to tampa bay 4-3

This. As far as the regular season, I see them finishing second in the Metro (behind the Caps).

Last edited:

CertifiedLurker

Aug 13, 2016
The NHL is scripted and the Pens obviously repeat as Champions. The only difference is the reverse of everything that happened last year is going to happen this year.

Instead of Kessel playing better on the third line something is going to happen, he's going to be put next to Crosby, and they are going to be disgustingly good much to the surprise of everyone.

Malkin and Hornqvist finally figure it out and tear it up.

Bonino proves he can be a great 3rd line center even without Kessel or Hagelin.

The Pens aren't going to be underdogs, they'll be stupidly dominant, win the Presidents trophy, put up close to 60 wins, sweep a couple teams in the post-season, float to the SCF and win in 5 this time on home ice.

Fans will complain that this season was too easy and not as cathartic as the last win.

Fans of other teams will say the NHL is losing viewers because the same teams keep winning, threatening to stop watching hockey all together.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Related to the questions above, what team do you see as closest to the Pens with multiple lines with speed, skill and scoring. Who is the closest Pens' clone in the NHL?

Tampa is insanely good.

The Caps are ok.

I think the Flyers are going to be really good within the next 2 years.

Crosby will be interesting to watch. I think that as he ages he'll play off his wingers more and that might make him a better player. We really havent seen him play with a winger that can bring plays up ice.

Im also interested to see just how he ages. Meaning.... Does that elite condition for all his life extend his prime years?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I expect this team to perform like a beast and repeat. I expect Sid & Geno will be back as the top 3 in the league and Kessel is going to get back to 70+.

I expect big things now that the team has a competent coach.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad