What do you expect from Anderson/Bjorkstrand/Milano

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I am not here to stir the pot, but I don't think ypu can expect much more from a guy like OB, with the Toi he had.

He could shoot more ofc.

But he is 7th in the NHL in pts, for players playing less than 15mins a game.

View media item 2645
eiqidf.png

Simply he needs to play more. No argument there. But outside of one game against Dallas he didn't grab the bull by the horns to play more.

Reactions: QuietContrarian

major major

Feb 18, 2013
If I remember correctly, Bjorkstrand's scoring rate was even higher in the first half of last year, when his minutes were lower. He deserved more minutes. He finally got a lot more towards the end of the year, and he didn't score much. It's hard to know whether we can expect more from Bjorky. He's very sharp and shifty, but I think of him as a bit slow and I wonder if that will limit his ability to use his other gifts.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Simply he needs to play more. No argument there. But outside of one game against Dallas he didn't grab the bull by the horns to play more.
I get where you are coming from.

As a Canadian living in Denmark, I have followed Bjork since his Jr. Days - And the few CBJ games I did watch, he was not the same player as he was back in Portland, or even with the Monsters.

I agree he should be shooting more than his 2.14 sog pr game. especially with his shot, imo his shot is elite.

In the most prominent online Danish hockey news outlets, there have been several interviews or sit downs with Ollie, and he knows he has to compete harder, and he also knows he should shoot more. So at least here is that.
Oliver is the type of player, that always progresses. Im sure he will make you all very happy :)

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

As a Canadian living in Denmark, I have followed Bjork since his Jr. Days - And the few CBJ games I did watch, he was not the same player as he was back in Portland, or even with the Monsters.

I agree he should be shooting more than his 2.14 sog pr game. especially with his shot, imo his shot is elite.

In the most prominent online Danish hockey news outlets, there have been several interviews or sit downs with Ollie, and he knows he has to compete harder, and he also knows he should shoot more. So at least here is that.
Oliver is the type of player, that always progresses. Im sure he will make you all very happy :)

I hope so. I was a big fan of his coming out of junior. He can do it.

Reactions: QuietContrarian

major major

Feb 18, 2013

Why do you think that is? I think trying to be more competitive is only going to get him so far. He's not as fast relative to his peers anymore, and that I think means he just doesn't have time to deploy his arsenal. He shoots readily, but just isn't in shooting position often enough. Most of his contribution to the team comes from good general offensive IQ and good passing - we don't get much from his shot, despite it being his most unique gift. I'm hoping with a good summer of training he can be a little quicker next year.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Why do you think that is? I think trying to be more competitive is only going to get him so far. He's not as fast relative to his peers anymore, and that I think means he just doesn't have time to deploy his arsenal. He shoots readily, but just isn't in shooting position often enough. Most of his contribution to the team comes from good general offensive IQ and good passing - we don't get much from his shot, despite it being his most unique gift. I'm hoping with a good summer of training he can be a little quicker next year.
Not a clue tbh.

But, in Portland, the more he played, the better he looked.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
In Portland his confidence was through the roof and he knew he could do anything he wanted on the ice. In the NHL he has to earn more space plus the forwards (especially the young guys for fear of demotion) have such a burden now to cover for the defense that he has to think too much and not just play hockey. On the flip side he has needed an adjustment period in almost every league before hes taken off and personally I think he will figure it out in the NHL too

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan

Could it be that the NHL players are significantly smarter/bigger/faster/stronger/better than guys in the AHL and KIDS in the WHL?

After Dubois and Atkinson, Bjorkstrand is the last forward I would look to trade. He really does have an "elite" shot, at any level. His issue at the NHL level is getting in the "scoring areas" more often, as this "area" is quite a bit smaller in the NHL as the goalies and defenseman are MUCH better than the guys in the AHL or WHL. It doesn't help with size and his SOMEWHAT "lack" of quickness. I think he will get "better" once he gets physically stronger. It will be very interesting to see what his shot turns into with a little more "upper body" strength. I think the potential to be considered a top-10 SHOOTER (goal scorer) in the league is very possible. But I think, as his shot is already so good, that its not the upper body strength that he NEEDS to build, but the LOWER body strength. This will improve his agility/quickness/speed, while the actual muscle will help him get to the "scoring/dangerous areas" and help him battle while in said areas and around the boards. I think "top line" winger in NOT out of the question at all. Keeping Vanek would have significantly affected his minutes/development this year.

Bjorkstrand scores 35 before Anderson scores 25.

Bjorkstrand > Anderson > Milano

Reactions: Viqsi

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006
Could it be that the NHL players are significantly smarter/bigger/faster/stronger/better than guys in the AHL and KIDS in the WHL?

After Dubois and Atkinson, Bjorkstrand is the last forward I would look to trade. He really does have an "elite" shot, at any level. His issue at the NHL level is getting in the "scoring areas" more often, as this "area" is quite a bit smaller in the NHL as the goalies and defenseman are MUCH better than the guys in the AHL or WHL. It doesn't help with size and his SOMEWHAT "lack" of quickness. I think he will get "better" once he gets physically stronger. It will be very interesting to see what his shot turns into with a little more "upper body" strength. I think the potential to be considered a top-10 SHOOTER (goal scorer) in the league is very possible. But I think, as his shot is already so good, that its not the upper body strength that he NEEDS to build, but the LOWER body strength. This will improve his agility/quickness/speed, while the actual muscle will help him get to the "scoring/dangerous areas" and help him battle while in said areas and around the boards. I think "top line" winger in NOT out of the question at all. Keeping Vanek would have significantly affected his minutes/development this year.

You're onto something. We've seen fairly consistently that Cam can and will produce with lesser players (see Dubinsky & Calvert). I'd like to see what Bjorkstrand can do on the RW with Bread and PLD.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008

Oh most definitely that is the case.

He is a smart and humble kid, so he will figure it out.

However, he does need more toi, and he needs to toughen up mentally and speak up more.

I remember an interview once, where someone said Bjork never complains, never takes issue with anything, he needs to be a little more selfish.

I mean if he gets going, the kid can score from anywhere.. He litteraly once scored a goal from almost the goalline outside the box.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

Too many Columbus players had down years in 2017-18 for them to take the division, but that could change next season. The whole team is bound to bounce back with better years from Cam Atkinson and Alexander Wennberg, season-long production from Pierre-Luc Dubois — and perhaps a breakout from Bjorkstrand.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I think that the only one for certain who'll be a long term NHLer is Anderson. He's got the speed and the shot to stay. He's got 17 and 19 goals with one PP goal and no SHG. No reason he can't be a second unit PP guy and score in the 25 goal range.

Bjorkstrand is really tough for me to call. He's got a great release and a good shot. I'll wait to watch him this season before I'd feel comfortable with a long term assessment.

I'm not a big Milano fan. He had 4 goals in his first 3 games on 7 shots last season. A lot of his goals looked "unusual". He looks lost on the ice a lot the time and has that "chased by bees" style of play similar to Yakupov. Wouldn't be at all surprised if he doesn't stick in the NHL. But he's only 22, so I'm not going to write him off yet.

From what the opening day line up looks to be, I would like to see Milano and Bjorkstrand be given regular shifts and room for mistakes for the first third of the season or so. If Milano doesn't look good, then he might be better off in Cleveland. I think the in and out of the lineup approach of last season serves neither him nor the CBJ well.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I think that the only one for certain who'll be a long term NHLer is Anderson. He's got the speed and the shot to stay. He's got 17 and 19 goals with one PP goal and no SHG. No reason he can't be a second unit PP guy and score in the 25 goal range.

Bjorkstrand is really tough for me to call. He's got a great release and a good shot. I'll wait to watch him this season before I'd feel comfortable with a long term assessment.

I'm not a big Milano fan. He had 4 goals in his first 3 games on 7 shots last season. A lot of his goals looked "unusual". He looks lost on the ice a lot the time and has that "chased by bees" style of play similar to Yakupov. Wouldn't be at all surprised if he doesn't stick in the NHL. But he's only 22, so I'm not going to write him off yet.

From what the opening day line up looks to be, I would like to see Milano and Bjorkstrand be given regular shifts and room for mistakes for the first third of the season or so. If Milano doesn't look good, then he might be better off in Cleveland. I think the in and out of the lineup approach of last season serves neither him nor the CBJ well.

I didn't know this was even questionable with Bjorkstrand. To me the only question is whether his goal scoring upside ever shows up. Even if it doesn't, he adds a good passing and puck control game, that will be needed on many a middle-six line throughout the league. I think Milano is also already kind of useful. He's erratic but adds a lot to transition with his speed and can complement a lot of lines. I think he's the kind of player (as is, never mind his considerable upside) that is now acceptable on a lot of 4th lines, now that the muckers are out of the league.

I'll take that bet.

It's really hard to see Bjorkstrand scoring 35. He's not nearly quick enough to get in position to shoot that much. Even with a 15% shooting percentage, I don't see it. Anderson could have scored 25 already if he stayed with better linemates and got PP time. 25 is not that hard to do with that skill set.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
It's really hard to see Bjorkstrand scoring 35. He's not nearly quick enough to get in position to shoot that much. Even with a 15% shooting percentage, I don't see it. Anderson could have scored 25 already if he stayed with better linemates and got PP time. 25 is not that hard to do with that skill set.

I guess Phil Kessel is faster than I thought. :sarcasm:

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I think that the only one for certain who'll be a long term NHLer is Anderson. He's got the speed and the shot to stay.

:speechles :skeptic: :doh:

You time and time again have significantly overrated how "good" of a shot Anderson has. Bjorkstrand is a good example to highlight that shot ACCURACY is MORE IMPORTANT than shot VELOCITY. And isn't the "new NHL" supposedly built for guys like Bjorkstrand?

Regarding Anderson's speed in relation to Bjorkstrand supposed lack of speed. How does adding a puck on their sticks affect this speed/skating?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad