What do you drive?

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
I guess it's more about having the feel of a bigger car under your belt. My fiancee drove a Seat Ibiza 60k a year when we were fresh out of university. And it was more than fine. But now once we've gotten used to it, changing from BMW 330 GT to Audi RS3 in long distance run, it feels like a downgrade. RS3 is so much more fun to drive, but it can't beat the comfortable feeling the new 3-series GT has.

that makes perfect sense. I put a premium on light and small (to a point) because i like driving it like a go-cart pretty much all the time and my commutes are generally filled with lane hopping. Danger zone! If I were coming directly from something a little more plush i might not like the s3 as much as I do now.

Reactions: Plural

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
Just upgraded from a 2010 Mazda 3 to 2018 Mazda CX-5 GT. Enjoying the switch would be an understatement. Don't feel so cramped anymore as the 3 really lacked space especially in the rear seats. I like the higher driver position too. Plus all the new safety features, i-ACTIV AWD, moonroof, leather, and 19" alloy wheels. Fun ride for a compact suv.

I really wanted my wife to consider one of those (for the long trip/family hauling) because they're supposed to be nice handling. Went with the Outback instead because we needed the extra space for all the crap we carry on holiday trips. Curious to see how the Mazda handles in the snow.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Show me a US maker who can compete with BMW, Mercedes or Audi and we'll talk.
Those brands you mentioned are vehicles I have owned or driven in the past as well, for me it's' much ado about nothing'. Still just a car !I have owned muscle cars and luxury North American cars that are just as satisfying and in some cases more so!
You don't like North American built vehicles because...?
Plenty to choose from and I won't be dragged into a value /bang for the buck discussion....the enormous depreciation factor on vehicles kills all that discussion!
I just don't understand when people complain about the economy while making major purchases from foreign markets!
I do realize there are companies that have set up shop here,which helps out but I still feel better supporting/buying Canadian!

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Those brands you mentioned are vehicles I have owned or driven in the past as well, for me it's' much ado about nothing'. Still just a car !I have owned muscle cars and luxury North American cars that are just as satisfying and in some cases more so!
You don't like North American built vehicles because...?
Plenty to choose from and I won't be dragged into a value /bang for the buck discussion....the enormous depreciation factor on vehicles kills all that discussion!
I just don't understand when people complain about the economy while making major purchases from foreign markets!
I do realize there are companies that have set up shop here,which helps out but I still feel better supporting/buying Canadian!

You're not buying "Canadian", you're buying a car that may have been assembled in Canada but had parts sourced from around the world, designed in the US by engineers who couldn't give two f***s about Canada, to serve predominantly American ownership. All the manufacturers have very large workforces in Canada, even if they don't have factories here. You've been deluded by propaganda that you're "supporting Canada" by buying American cars or other cars assembled here.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
You're not buying "Canadian", you're buying a car that may have been assembled in Canada but had parts sourced from around the world, designed in the US by engineers who couldn't give two ****s about Canada, to serve predominantly American ownership. All the manufacturers have very large workforces in Canada, even if they don't have factories here. You've been deluded by propaganda that you're "supporting Canada" by buying American cars or other cars assembled here.
Yes...I am aware of the muddied waters of where the money actually goes, it is not as it used to be. However,Bmw,Audi and Benz are not manufactured/assembled in Canada last I checked!
My position on this matter is...one, there are decent vehicles that one can buy that are manufactured/assembled here. Two...I do not find the European models to be 'all that'.
Are you aware of the vehicles made in Canada or are you just dismissing them all?

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
You're not buying "Canadian", you're buying a car that may have been assembled in Canada but had parts sourced from around the world, designed in the US by engineers who couldn't give two ****s about Canada, to serve predominantly American ownership. All the manufacturers have very large workforces in Canada, even if they don't have factories here. You've been deluded by propaganda that you're "supporting Canada" by buying American cars or other cars assembled here.
Yes...I am aware of the muddied waters of where the money actually goes, it is not as it used to be. However,Bmw,Audi and Benz are not manufactured/assembled in Canada last I checked!
My position on this matter is...one, there are decent vehicles that one can buy that are manufactured/assembled here. Two...I do not find the European models to be 'all that'.
Are you aware of the vehicles made in Canada or are you just dismissing them all?

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol

Who cares if they're built here? Why are factory workers more important the dealership workers and corporate employees, whom even for manufactures who have no final assembly in Canada, employ thousands? Especially considering those jobs are usually skilled ones that require apprenticeships or university degrees.

To buy something simply because it's pieces are put together here and not because it's the best product/the one I most want to buy is beyond stupid. I can get behind buying locally sourced food, but for cars it's stupid. Beyond stupid.

Reactions: Plural

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Who cares if they're built here? Why are factory workers more important the dealership workers and corporate employees, whom even for manufactures who have no final assembly in Canada, employ thousands? Especially considering those jobs are usually skilled ones that require apprenticeships or university degrees.

To buy something simply because it's pieces are put together here and not because it's the best product/the one I most want to buy is beyond stupid. I can get behind buying locally sourced food, but for cars it's stupid. Beyond stupid.
I think 'value' is relevant when purchasing a vehicle ,unless you're "stupid" with your money! You can do your own homework on it ,but if you have your mind already made up that that Canadian built cars are inferior then that's plainly dishonest !

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
I think 'value' is relevant when purchasing a vehicle ,unless you're "stupid" with your money! You can do your own homework on it ,but if you have your mind already made up that that Canadian built cars are inferior then that's plainly dishonest !

It depends on your criteria for "inferior".

Generally speaking it's impractical to try every single car on the market so people entering a segment will use reviews and past personal experience to inform their decisions. I've HATED every car/crossover I've driven from NA companies in the last ten years (through rentals, friends and family, etc). I have an aunt and uncle that are ridiculously loyal to Buick even though their latest has had a ton of problems. My parents bought a Traverse to haul grandkids around and that thing is horrible...etc etc. Driving dynamics are most important to me.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
It depends on your criteria for "inferior".

Generally speaking it's impractical to try every single car on the market so people entering a segment will use reviews and past personal experience to inform their decisions. I've HATED every car/crossover I've driven from NA companies in the last ten years (through rentals, friends and family, etc). I have an aunt and uncle that are ridiculously loyal to Buick even though their latest has had a ton of problems. My parents bought a Traverse to haul grandkids around and that thing is horrible...etc etc. Driving dynamics are most important to me.
Well yes,the reasons for buying are many! We all have our own experiences and needs! Of course, trying every vehicle would be impractical.However,test drives are helpful and sometimes fun.
Not all have had my advantage of delivering high end sports cars in my late teens as a side job. Cool experience, but after a while they became just another car. They were expensive and required a lot of attention. I see they have many models now and are more affordable,which kind of diminishes the status symbol aspect and resale value. Still,just another car to me.
I think NA vehicles quality suffered in the late seventies and eighties,but have become better more recently. Personally ,we have been very satisfied with a variety of NA sedans in the last 15 years or so!
To each their own.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Well yes,the reasons for buying are many! We all have our own experiences and needs! Of course, trying every vehicle would be impractical.However,test drives are helpful and sometimes fun.
Not all have had my advantage of delivering high end sports cars in my late teens as a side job. Cool experience, but after a while they became just another car. They were expensive and required a lot of attention. I see they have many models now and are more affordable,which kind of diminishes the status symbol aspect and resale value. Still,just another car to me.
I think NA vehicles quality suffered in the late seventies and eighties,but have become better more recently. Personally ,we have been very satisfied with a variety of NA sedans in the last 15 years or so!
To each their own.

Absolutely each to their own. And it's not like NA cars are all shit. The thing is, with the "Big-3" you have such a wide range of models to choose from and the quality is pretty much standard. Obviously there's mis-fires in those brands too, but the combined models from Audi, BMW and MB offer such a massive scale of cars that will suit your needs at any single point of your life. Be it young single, a couple, married with kids, retired, senior. You name it. It's easy to seek for an option from those three, since you can be pretty sure that you'll find a model that feels good and suits your needs.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Absolutely each to their own. And it's not like NA cars are all ****. The thing is, with the "Big-3" you have such a wide range of models to choose from and the quality is pretty much standard. Obviously there's mis-fires in those brands too, but the combined models from Audi, BMW and MB offer such a massive scale of cars that will suit your needs at any single point of your life. Be it young single, a couple, married with kids, retired, senior. You name it. It's easy to seek for an option from those three, since you can be pretty sure that you'll find a model that feels good and suits your needs.
There really is no accounting for taste! My parents( 80's) have been car shopping recently( presently driving a Kia Optima which has been good to them for a few years)...I asked them how the search was going,my mother said they all look the same (her words:' like lookin' at a jar of jelly beans' ) I had to laugh because for me it has never been more diverse...for her,not so exciting!
My son is also looking...has been very much a fan of the euro design,but has decided on a new generation Camaro!
My next vehicle will be a pick up truck...not sure of brand yet but it will be one of the big 3.

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
There really is no accounting for taste! My parents( 80's) have been car shopping recently( presently driving a Kia Optima which has been good to them for a few years)...I asked them how the search was going,my mother said they all look the same (her words:' like lookin' at a jar of jelly beans' ) I had to laugh because for me it has never been more diverse...for her,not so exciting!
My son is also looking...has been very much a fan of the euro design,but has decided on a new generation Camaro!
My next vehicle will be a pick up truck...not sure of brand yet but it will be one of the big 3.
If I go the pick up truck route it will be the New Jeep Wrangler/Scrambler. I have been looking forward to that for a long time.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
If I go the pick up truck route it will be the New Jeep Wrangler/Scrambler. I have been looking forward to that for a long time.
Hmmm..interesting..good friend is Chrysler mechanic in Alberta,will have to get some feedback from him. Wife drives a 300 ,his recommendation had an influence on her decision!

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Just got a 98 Legacy GT wagon. She's a peach! At least for a 20 year old car. Build date was May 28, 1997, or roughly the week I graduated from high school.

1998_subaru_legacy_4_dr_gt_awd_wagon-pic-8680263745245385979-640x480.jpeg

Reactions: rynryn

Dooney

Jan 12, 2005
On the move
I bought a 2006 Mazda Miata at the end of May, thought it would be a fun beach ride to get me to and from work. Wrong. Hated it. Took a huge loss and got a 2018 Buick Encore fully loaded. I’m happy with it.

Reactions: Baby Punisher

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
It's been over 50 years now, but thank goodness the "Japanese" made big inroads into the North American market. Ending the stranglehold the Big 3 had was the best thing that happened to the consumer.
Lots of different manufactures choice now. The technology and building of vehicles is so much better than in the past. Despite the costs of car, what you get in a car now as standard equipment and the value of earning power, cars are cheaper than in 70s and 80s.

Clode

Aug 2, 2012
Derry, NH
such a fun car to drive!
But honestly I cant get over that rear end!!
Do you like the looks of it?

I love the front end but I have to admit I wasn't crazy about the rear end but it's growing on me. The only thing I don't like is the phone charger exhaust tip, wish they just used the dual tips from the sport hatch lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->