What do you drive?

Eric Robson

Jan 5, 2018
I might buy an Arteon to be honest.

I’m skepical the 400hp R will come here unless it’s the standard power for the Mk. 8 R. Though I was thinking about buying a colour option R (either blue or green) but they’re $50K plus CAD.
id be really upset if the next R came with the 2.5 engine in the RS3 and TTRS. That engine is a dream.

Desdichado93

Jan 7, 2012
Sweden
Omega 28 during summers.
Ofe740K.jpg

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
id be really upset if the next R came with the 2.5 engine in the RS3 and TTRS. That engine is a dream.

The only chance the 5 cyl 2.5T comes to a VW is if the R400 if revived, and even then VW can get 400+ HP out of the 2.0T so it's not necessary anyways to be honest. The R is comparable to the S3 and I bet it'll remain so. VW is developing an upgraded VR6 in the form of a 3.0T for the Atlas, and R versions of the Arteon, so perhaps that could go in a super R but I doubt it.

The RS3 and the TTRS really aren't that out of reach anyways. About $80K CND for a TT RS.

Eric Robson

Jan 5, 2018
The only chance the 5 cyl 2.5T comes to a VW is if the R400 if revived, and even then VW can get 400+ HP out of the 2.0T so it's not necessarily. The R is comparable to the S3 and I bet it'll remain so. VW is developing an upgraded VR6 in the form of a 3.0T for the Atlas, and R versions of the Arteon, so perhaps that could go in a super R but I doubt it.

The RS3 and the TTRS really aren't that out of reach anyways. About $80K CND for a TT RS.
I worked out Audi for the past year, Mother has 2017 S3 I have 2018 Golf R. Both great cars but the Rs3 just feels completely different and starts around 65K Canadian. If i had the money i would haha

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
I worked out Audi for the past year, Mother has 2017 S3 I have 2018 Golf R. Both great cars but the Rs3 just feels completely different and starts around 65K Canadian. If i had the money i would haha

It should feel different, it has a different engine and it's a tuned performance monster. There was talk that Audi was going to put a tuned 2.5T in the base R8 (but they're instead going to use the Porsche-Audi V6 twin-turbo). Audi S cars are more or less just top performance trims of base BMW and Mercedes (a 340i or a C350), while the RS are the real Ms and AMGs.

VW typically doesn't like to share non-diesel engines between the brands unless they're something ubiquitous like the 2.0T so I don't think you have anything to worry about that the Mk. 8 having the 2.5.

Eric Robson

Jan 5, 2018
It should feel different, it has a different engine and it's a tuned performance monster. There was talk that Audi was going to put a tuned 2.5T in the base R8 (but they're instead going to use the Porsche-Audi V6 twin-turbo). Audi S cars are more or less just top performance trims of base BMW and Mercedes (a 340i or a C350), while the RS are the real Ms and AMGs.

VW typically doesn't like to share non-diesel engines between the brands unless they're something ubiquitous like the 2.0T so I don't think you have anything to worry about that the Mk. 8 having the 2.5.
Completely agree. id expect a VR6 in the 2020 before a 2.5

Plural

Mar 10, 2011

We tested S3 and RS3 and the difference is remarkable. Sadly the difference in price tag is also remarkable. But as you said, the S3 feels like an exciting car to drive. But RS3 almost feels like it's about to take off. We we're half seriously thinking about the RS3 but buried those plans quickly after realizing how much kilometers it would get yearly. As nice of a car it is, it's not the car you want for a 100km daily commute.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
We tested S3 and RS3 and the difference is remarkable. Sadly the difference in price tag is also remarkable. But as you said, the S3 feels like an exciting car to drive. But RS3 almost feels like it's about to take off. We we're half seriously thinking about the RS3 but buried those plans quickly after realizing how much kilometers it would get yearly. As nice of a car it is, it's not the car you want for a 100km daily commute.

Depends on how willing you are to live with the consequences of that much strain (and let's be honest, you're not driving an RS3 like a Corolla). I know someone who daily drove a TT RS. It wasn't a 100km daily commute but they put over 100,000km on it in less than four years.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Depends on how willing you are to live with the consequences of that much strain (and let's be honest, you're not driving an RS3 like a Corolla). I know someone who daily drove a TT RS. It wasn't a 100km daily commute but they put over 100,000km on it in less than four years.

I guess so. Our current car is in the same ballpark in price (3-series GT 3 liter diesel) and while it's not nearly as much fun to drive than RS3 it's a lot more comfortable. But maybe I'm over stressing the difference. 25k+ a year is a lot of driving with just TT RS. But if you're staying out of the big roads the difference is not going to feel that big. It's the long distance drives where I personally feel the difference the most.

That said, in a little under a year we're going to change our current car and even if this BMW is great (I literally don't have any real complaints) we probably will try out a more "fun" car.

firewagonHOCKEY

Mar 7, 2006
Belgium
I like my job. They just gave me a BMW 418D Grand Coupe as my company car. Before that I had a Skoda Octavia , which was fine but not very sexy :)

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
As of like a week ago,

2018 Silverado High Country with the 6.2

And up until 2 weeks ago, a 2009 Ninja 250 (unrelated to getting the truck).

Killahpunk

Legend
Jun 29, 2009
Eastern Canada
Just upgraded from a 2010 Mazda 3 to 2018 Mazda CX-5 GT. Enjoying the switch would be an understatement. Don't feel so cramped anymore as the 3 really lacked space especially in the rear seats. I like the higher driver position too. Plus all the new safety features, i-ACTIV AWD, moonroof, leather, and 19" alloy wheels. Fun ride for a compact suv.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny

i don't even want to test an RS because then I'd be plotting how to justify the upgrade, but what would be the con of a 100k commute in one? The S3 is plenty comfortable IMO and the RS can't be much different in that regard. I drive in dynamic all the time and have the 19's so mine is pretty much maxed out as the most uncomfortable out of the box configuration for driving.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
i don't even want to test an RS because then I'd be plotting how to justify the upgrade, but what would be the con of a 100k commute in one? The S3 is plenty comfortable IMO and the RS can't be much different in that regard. I drive in dynamic all the time and have the 19's so mine is pretty much maxed out as the most uncomfortable out of the box configuration for driving.

I guess it's more about having the feel of a bigger car under your belt. My fiancee drove a Seat Ibiza 60k a year when we were fresh out of university. And it was more than fine. But now once we've gotten used to it, changing from BMW 330 GT to Audi RS3 in long distance run, it feels like a downgrade. RS3 is so much more fun to drive, but it can't beat the comfortable feeling the new 3-series GT has.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->