Player Discussion What do we have in Josh Leivo

Status
Not open for further replies.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
30-35 point 3RW who should probably cap out around 2.5m if he gets term, but I doubt many take that chance with only 1 real season.
I’d easily move him with another piece to upgrade. He’s not a Top3 player in the forward ranks, but if paired with the right centre in a 3 line role I could see him being a quality piece especially if it’s a younger player trying to break into the league, as Leivo has had to earn every jump other than to Canucks #1LW spot.

Reactions: TruKnyte

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Totally called that one. He's a larger, tougher Granlund who's good along the boards. Spoon-fed tons of top-six icetime including heaping helpings of PP time alongside Pettersson and Boeser, and he still put up 3rd liner numbers. Wouldn't mind him in the bottom six, but...well...

If it's Granlund all over again, then it's a big win for Canucks.

By good AHLer, do you mean will never play in the NHL (a la Shink)? If that's the case, do it again.

:laugh: Ever notice how your "big win" players don't actually make the team any better?

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Totally called that one. He's a larger, tougher Granlund who's good along the boards. Spoon-fed tons of top-six icetime including heaping helpings of PP time alongside Pettersson and Boeser, and he still put up 3rd liner numbers. Wouldn't mind him in the bottom six, but...well...

:laugh: Ever notice how your "big win" players don't actually make the team any better?

Hehe come now, what do you expect out of someone who thinks Granlund is a "big win".

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Josh Anderson is the mold of what we thought his upside might be - not a surefire top 6 talent in a vacuum but a guy who doesn't hurt you there if he has good linemates and will just keep getting the puck back. I am surprised that he didn't produce more with the opportunity he got with you guys though, he was always really good for us in that kind of usage in really short windows, then Babcock would just put him back in the press box

the heavy defensive usage is what he got in Toronto and that's where he was his weakest for us, not that he was bad, just that he's slow to get up to speed so the constant direction changing that comes with defensive zone play without possession left him out of position at times. He was terrific for us at getting the puck back when he could point in one direction - namely offensive zone when the puck was being put to the corners

Yeah, he almost certainly felt that he was better offensively than he actually is - which is why he wanted out of Toronto in the first place - and this stint just showed why Babcock didn't think he really deserved to be in the top 6. Not saying that coaches are always right of course, but in this case it seems like Babcock was on the mark.

A lot of times he would seem to kill the play offensively whenever he was out there - he might just be one of those odd guys who are good at helping to drive possession but don't have the skill to turn that into offense commensurate to his ice time.

Thanks for the insight however - I'm sure he can be a useful depth piece in the bottom 6 going forward, just not the scoring winger Benning might've thought he was.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Yeah, he almost certainly felt that he was better offensively than he actually is - which is why he wanted out of Toronto in the first place - and this stint just showed why Babcock didn't think he really deserved to be in the top 6. Not saying that coaches are always right of course, but in this case it seems like Babcock was on the mark.

A lot of times he would seem to kill the play offensively whenever he was out there - he might just be one of those odd guys who are good at helping to drive possession but don't have the skill to turn that into offense commensurate to his ice time.

Thanks for the insight however - I'm sure he can be a useful depth piece in the bottom 6 going forward, just not the scoring winger Benning might've thought he was.
I think he could be the scoring winger (in a 3rd line scoring rate) on a 3 line with Gaudette and Roussell. Two guys who are better suited to the defensive part of the game on the line, but Gaudette is a quality shooter and Roussell is a great retriever. You get 30-35 points each from this line and you’re a lot better than what the Canucks have been icing for the last few years.

Reactions: ErrantShepherd

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
Leivo 14 goals 10 assists 840,000
Loui Erickson 11 goals 18 assists 6 million

Erickson got 6 more points in 30 more games this season compared to last season

In Leivo we have our Erickson replacement

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton

that's different for him than when he was here, he didn't kill offensive plays at all, so who knows. I don't think we ever believed he had star power, but like 20-25 goal upside and maybe the same for assist totals. At the very least he has a hell of a release, and he made some good passes when he had the chance, moreso an area passer that would put team mates in good positions with space with the puck or get it to the front of the net where it had a chance to go in than tape-to-tape to team mates in prime shooting position types. It'll be interesting to see if his totals go up next year, but I'm sure he thought he'd be more productive with the opportunity he got with you guys

Either way, you guys got him for a hell of a price, he's an NHL player and I'd be shocked if Carcone turns into one

Reactions: vanuck and sting101

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
that's different for him than when he was here, he didn't kill offensive plays at all, so who knows. I don't think we ever believed he had star power, but like 20-25 goal upside and maybe the same for assist totals. At the very least he has a hell of a release, and he made some good passes when he had the chance, moreso an area passer that would put team mates in good positions with space with the puck or get it to the front of the net where it had a chance to go in than tape-to-tape to team mates in prime shooting position types. It'll be interesting to see if his totals go up next year, but I'm sure he thought he'd be more productive with the opportunity he got with you guys

Either way, you guys got him for a hell of a price, he's an NHL player and I'd be shocked if Carcone turns into one
He’s basically at his ceiling. 15/15 player who isn’t a total detriment on the ice without the puck or not scoring. He shouldn’t be used in a prime time scoring role with your best player, that much is clear. But he could be a quality depth piece in a 3 line role where he isn’t asked to score every other night.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Leivo is a solid depth player, but probably miscast as one of the top-six forwards. Pretty skilled along the wall, and an above average release on his shot. Struggles with consistency at times.

But at the price they paid for him (Michael Carcone), it's still a solid pickup by Jimbo.

Reactions: sting101

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
I really like his hands, and he's got some hockey smarts. He knows what to do with the puck, and I've been impressed with his work ethic when he's 'on'. His main issue at this point is that he's just not anywhere near to how consistent you have to be to play in this league, and he takes too many nights off. Given the opportunities he had this season, you would have expected a lot more from a player with his obvious skill.

Pretty curious to see what happens with him. Would like to see if he can put it together next year before we give up on him and send him packing. If you ask me he's got more to show, and more of an upside than Granlund, Virtanen, Schaller, Sutter, Eriksson and Motte. What remains to be seen is if he can put it together.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I think Leivo is a solid player. He's another right-hand shot who can play both wings. I'll give him a 2 year deal ~1.4M-1.6M AAV. Otherwise, no problem with a 1 year deal.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I don't care for Leivo. That's not to say I want him to walk or anything, but I simply don't see what all the fuss is about.

We didn't spend a draft pick or a former highly drafted prospect on him, so I don't hate the acquisition, but I do feel he is entirely miscast any where near our top six.

Guys decent, can skate, has reasonable skill, good sense....but I don't see him being more here than he was in Toronto: depth.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
He reminds me of like Taylor Pyatt, or Steve Bernier. Relatively non-offensive depth players who go invisible for large periods.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Have to give Leivo some credit on the Sutter goal against the Sharks. Single handily creating an assist by using his physicality and speed to knock a Shark player off balance and shoot the puck on net. It is clearly a step up from former top 9 players on this team.

UK Canuck

Dec 27, 2018
Have to give Leivo some credit on the Sutter goal against the Sharks. Single handily creating an assist by using his physicality and speed to knock a Shark player off balance and shoot the puck on net. It is clearly a step up from former top 9 players on this team.

thats gonna be a very good, relentless, pain in the ass to play against 3rd line when Roussel is back, Sutter is skating very well and Leivo is tenacious

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
I really like his hands, and he's got some hockey smarts. He knows what to do with the puck, and I've been impressed with his work ethic when he's 'on'. His main issue at this point is that he's just not anywhere near to how consistent you have to be to play in this league, and he takes too many nights off. Given the opportunities he had this season, you would have expected a lot more from a player with his obvious skill.

Pretty curious to see what happens with him. Would like to see if he can put it together next year before we give up on him and send him packing. If you ask me he's got more to show, and more of an upside than Granlund, Virtanen, Schaller, Sutter, Eriksson and Motte. What remains to be seen is if he can put it together.

Weird that I liked his hands so much back in April, and have been totally disappointed with exactly that thus far -- here in November. I was right that he's got hockey smarts though, but jeez.... very little finish for all the chances he's getting.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Leivo is a versatile player who can move up and down the lineup....shows flashes of skill and has an above average shot. But probably tops out in the 15-goal range, which you could live with if he was on the third or fourth line.

But on the second unit pp? I'm not getting it. But then Green currently has Sutter on the second-unit pp, which makes even less sense to me.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Very nice addition. Cheap, good size, strong stick with good reach, decent skater, good defensively and really good at winning board battles and keeping possession in the positive. good shot but needs a quicker release to be a really good goal scorer

Lacks a high IceQ and the reaction quickness and top end skills and speed to be a really good top6.

laggy when not fully engaged but a welcome foot soldier in his prime who can play up and down the lineup. Seems to be well liked and fits a number of roles for Greener

Reactions: I am toxic

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Motte is cost controlled, Shaller provides more sand paper,

At this point Leivo has to out play Shaller by a fair margin, and offer more sand paper in order to have a spot next year.

Then he has to hope one of the young prospects don't burst into action come preseason and take his spot.

I think the Canucks will see how the team is doing come trade deadline, and either unload Leivo and Shaller, or keep both and count them as our deadline acquisition.

But I cannot see us bringing back Leivo.

MacEwen should be a better 13th forward option than resigning Leivo with cap considerations, and if a prospect beats out MacEwen and earn a spot, so be it.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Does anyone see us re-signing Leivo ?

I do. But it depends on the price. He'll probably test free agency and see what he can get.

At this point Leivo has to out play Shaller by a fair margin, and offer more sand paper in order to have a spot next year.

Both are pending UFAs. Leivo is simply a better player than Schaller.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Both are pending UFAs. Leivo is simply a better player than Schaller.

Shaller has double the amount of goals Leivo has. Shaller also throws more hits and blocks more shots. Shaller also kills penalties.

Looking at the depth chart, Leivo destined to fight for a spot on 4th line with our wingers.

Would you rather have Schaller there or Leivo there?

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Rather have Leivo over Schaller.
Yeah...

Leivo provides a little versatility to fill in on the top 6 or PP when needed.

Would prefer Schaller if we're talking strictly about a 4th line role.

I think both are gone next season. I dont even think they think twice about it there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad