Player Discussion What do we have in J.T. Miller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
You can’t separate the player traded from the cost.

If you’re going to value Miller based upon his contract, a construct that exists outside of his actual play, then you also have to value him based on the cost it took to get him. Otherwise, you are selective choosing the tools you wish to employ in making your assertion.

That trade was heinous and excluding the cost in your evaluation just does not serve to address the crux of why it was heinous.

I'm not evaluating him outside the cost. I'm specifically saying that the cost of a conditional first round pick is not as big a deal as people think and that the value of his contract makes him a Better asset than people thing. The two things narrow the gap to make this basically a C- trade for Benning, basically his best grade ever.

I find it irritating that you accuse me of doing something i specifically am not doing. I never said the cost doesn't matter, I said the cost isn't as high because people here overvalue first round picks by about 75%

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Miller has been quite good, but yes there's still a timebomb that might be at play here. Let's enjoy his play while we can and hope for the best.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Look at the rosters of Dallas and the Black Hawks they both improved over the summer as did the Yotes.

San Jose was basically a preseason lock for a top 3 spot in the Pacific, has that really changed?

The Canucks were a borderline wildcard hopeful and watching them play all 4 games they aren't showing any signs otherwise are they?

Like I stated upthread they have a pretty easy road trip coming up, if they don't step up their play it will be a long battle all season.

Last I checked, the Canucks have more points than the teams you mentioned. Small sample size of course.

More seriously though, the Canucks improved their roster as well. Most actually think the Canucks made one of the biggest improvements to their roster. The question is whether it is enough.

I actually don't think Chicago improved all that much. They improved their D and got Shaw back? Not sure Lehner will make much of a difference.

The Coyotes? A lot of people seem to like them but when I look at their roster I think they lack the high end talent the Canucks have and I don't think Kessel is that much of a difference maker if he's the best player on the team.

Dallas and San Jose should make the playoffs.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Honestly I haven't read the prior conversation but I always wondered how people say things with such certainly, when its arguable at best. I feel I know when what I'm stating is highly probably or arguable. When it's simply arguable, I say things like "actually i think" or "have you considered" etc. It seems you strongly think Dallas has gotten better and it should be pretty clear? Benn has declined hard. He is 30. Players often don't get better at that age. He's been their goto leader for ages now. Radulov is 33. Pavelski is 35, will probably take a step back, definitely in the goals dept

That team is extremely poor. They got a star young d man on a veteran team that's declining hard. Seguin as your main core piece. Honestly this is their last kick at the can, that's if everything goes well this season. Their young guys won't overshadow the inevitable decline of their old core

As far as the hawks go:

Toews increased his totals by 30 pts and had his best year. It's likely he will fall back down to 65 pts or so. He is 31 now. Maata is not much of an addition. I followed lehner in Buffalo. I'm thinking it's likely he reverts back to that goaltender and islanders were simply a good fit. Seabrook and Keith are getting ancient. Patrick Kane will not hit 110 pts again. Could potentially be 20 less. But yeah their goaltending could really hurt them this year. An improved team? Honestly at the start of the year, every team seems to appear improved unless you are realistic, and also have followed the players they acquired.

Arizona on paper, still has a team that maxes out at where they finished last year.

Look around at predictions for regular season standings in the west. Are they so obviously better?

I have Dallas finishing much lower than last season

As I said, I haven't read any prior posts but to be honest, I probably agree with the main point perhaps. I think we could fall back for a couple reasons, such as pettersson. But not many teams made so many clear improvements since the last quarter of last season. Using aging cores like ones you mentioned is an odd comparison. Especially with the certainty

Its much more likely you see an improvement from boeser, Horvat and potentially Pettersson. Whereas Myers, jt Miller, Hughes, Pearson are almost completely new adds, not shedding anybody on the roster to acquire.

How many guys are you thinking will improve on Dallas, hawks, Arizona?

Arizona added Kessel and lost galchenyuk. Sure.
And gained soderberg. Rookies in hayton rarely make an impact to the win column and are very easy to play against. He's getting 11 min a night to start the season

Is Brad Richardson getting 19 goals again? He was their leading scorer. Goligoski is getting to that age and declining. Demers is basically done. Hjalmarsson declining and not doing much for ya. Got 3 guys over 30 declining.

I may be debating semantics here but it seems people think all the teams in their conference get better. Takes away from the teams that actually did.

Of course even if teams seem better on paper it doesn't always turn out but a couple of comments to what I was responding to.

There have been people saying that San Jose is weaker this year due to the loss of Pavelski, that's a gain for Dallas right?

I think many people would be very surprised if San Jose wasn't one of the top 3 teams in the pacific despite their slow start, they have the roster and track record to be pretty reliable as a playoff team for this year.

Although he is 35 but doesn't rely on speed for his game so the future of that deal is still out there but this season it's pretty reasonable that he scores 20 plus goals.

Dallas also lost some close games early and actually played pretty well in the limited time I saw them play.

Also there Big 3 on the back end , with emerging Norris contender Heiskanen, Klingberg who missed 18 games last year and Lindell is going to carry the stars a long way.

The star had 93 points last year and Benn wasn't even having a very good year with 53 points, Pavelski will take off some of that burden as well Hintz who is only 22 is building off his strong playoff last year leading the team in scoring so far.

Also that 5% PP is going to get better right?

The black Hawks also got better by adding 2 veteran Dmen in Matta and de Hann, along with getting Lehner, because of the problems Crawford had healthwise last year.

They also are going to have a full season of Strome who has chemistry with the emerging DeBrincat and adding some good experience with Zach Smith and getting Shaw back.

They were one of my 3 sleeper teams (along with Buffalo and Edmonton) going into the season but they have had a poor start to be sure and part of that is their PK which is at 60% right now something that will change, along with Captain Canada being held pointless in his first 3 games.

Arizona has a solid hard working team and I think they will be in the mix for a playoff spot as well.

Hjalmarsson would be a problem is he was a top 4 Dman but he is their 6th Dman and early 30's for guys like Demers and Goligoski isn't a huge problem really.

The Yotes have lost 3 games by one goal and already have an impressive win over Vegas as well.

I'm sure many of the Canucks who are currently in a funk can play better but given their esy schedule so far and coming up in the next 5 games, they need to find their games really fast or it's going to be an uphill battle IMO.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019

If you’re going to value Miller based upon his contract, a construct that exists outside of his actual play, then you also have to value him based on the cost it took to get him. Otherwise, you are selective choosing the tools you wish to employ in making your assertion.

Is that how you constantly judged Brendan Gaunce? It cost an absolute crap-ton to acquire Gaunce. Was that acquisition cost always at the forefront of your analysis of said player? Or were you going to be pleased if he found a role and way to be a positive contributor?

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Hmm... maybe take out one significantly? I don't disagree with the above, but not for your reasons. There is often a premium paid to acquire players at the deadline and draft picks are often the currency. Last year, Hayes was traded for what turned out to be the 20th pick.

At the draft, draft picks are only worth a premium if they are picks from that year's drafts. Future years' drafts don't hold additional value at the time of the draft and have less value the further years away it is.

Disagree, draft picks years are out are still seen in a more positive light at the draft. It's human nature. Seeing kids like Hughes and Kakko get drafted would naturally make bubble team GMs wistful about the idea of landing players like them as lottery picks. That wistfulness doesn't exist in the thick of a playoff race.

Huh? If the risk isn't all that high, why would the proportionate risk be too high? The risk of the Canucks missing the playoffs for 2 straight years with Miller should objectively be lower than without Miller. It doesn't seem like you consider the odds of the Canucks drafting 16-18 either in 2020 or 2021.

The proportionate risk is high because of where the Canucks are. I generally think you have a good take on this, even if I don't fully agree, but think you're missing that piece.

Let's say there's a 4% chance that the Canucks give up a lottery pick and/or a elite player better than JT Miller for the next 15 years between either the 2020 or 2021 draft pick.

That's factually not a very big number. But the Canucks are imo, as an organization, at a point where they need to be shooting for the stars, lest they become the 2010s Minnesota Wild ie. mediocre. I'm very much considering the thought they finish 16-18, and that it is more likely to happen with Miller than without. I don't think that's a good thing at all.

Jeff Bezos is of the opinion that one day Amazon would fail and go bankrupt. Does that mean that if someone offered to sell his/her Amazon shares to you at half the market value with the condition that you can't sell it in the next two years that you wouldn't buy it because of your perceived proportionate risk (of Amazon going bankrupt) is too high? When analyzing risk, you have to analyze the risk of ruin or in other words the risk and odds of the "catastrophic loss" scenario happening. Your next comment suggests that you understand this but somehow your points above doesn't reflect this.

Of course not. But the contribution window for that 1st round pick is not two years, nor did we acquire JT Miller at half of his market value.

I think this is a closer analogy: if you were offered a call option on some upcoming new stock (call it Beyond Meat or whatever) that inherently doesn't hold the same value as Amazon today, but may have a higher upside ultimately, not even taking into account Amazon's catastrophic loss scenario. This new stock, the pick in terms of this trade, may inherently be worth more, not because of a catastrophic loss on Amazon (which would be like JT Miller's career taking a nosedive or ending due to injury), but an unprecedented gain in value on the call options for this new stock. This would be like that pick winning the lottery or being used to draft a Giroux/Pastrnak/E. Karlsson/etc. level player in the middle of the first.

Now this is priced out by the market, so theoretically, your dollars are going towards either Amazon stock today, at market prices, or a call option, expiring two years from now, with a vesting period of three years on a new upcoming stock. Could the latter bust? Yes, it most likely will NOT be as valuable as Amazon.

But that's where we need to look at this organization's "investor" profile. Are we looking for something that will hold value, have some appreciation and pay a decent dividend? Or are we a venture capital looking for that next boom, regardless of how many busts we need to sift through?

My argument is simply that we are closer to a venture capital/private equity investor profile than a defined benefit pension fund.

Apologies if that's getting too into the finance weeds lmao.

Agreed and what is the value of having a player who is locked into a good contract with no trade protections? I brought this up when the Blues were near the bottom of the standings and we were discussing the possibilities of poaching some of their players. During those discussions, I mentioned the value of acquiring Tarasenko who is locked in at $7.5M AAV. You're not getting that player as a UFA at $7.5M AAV without trade protection, yet you would have needed to trade significant assets in order to acquire him.

Personally, if the Canucks miss the playoffs the next two years and that 2021 pick ends up being 1st overall that's just the type of luck the Canucks have had in their franchise history.

The Blues are the best example in favor of your argument - the O'Reilly trade in particular. That looked like it would be a catastrophic loss scenario in December.

I agree though, of course there is a value to the surety that a good, established player on a long term contract provides. Miller is a steady, still growing, consistent dividend providing stock.

I'm not evaluating him outside the cost. I'm specifically saying that the cost of a conditional first round pick is not as big a deal as people think and that the value of his contract makes him a Better asset than people thing.

I said the cost isn't as high because people here overvalue first round picks by about 75%

Ha, I think it's interesting you hold this opinion because I think you're assessing risk purely from an actuarial perspective, which probably makes sense given your professional background :)

I'm curious what you think about my above venture capital vs pension fund contextualizing though. I agree with your assessment of the cost of a conditional first round pick for the average team; I don't know if I agree for a team that has been as dogshit as this one has been, and one in the lifecycle stage that this organization currently is.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
You say this when it suits you, then claim the specific cost or risk of a non-playoff team trading a future first is a bad idea regardless of the return, ie separate from the value of the player acquired in exchange. Do you understand you're contradicting yourself?

Green Blank Stare

Drance approved coach
May 16, 2019
Four games in and Miller has absolutely been worth the cost. He has been the leading play driver for the team so far.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Four games in and Miller has absolutely been worth the cost. He has been the leading play driver for the team so far.

Miller's been very good, but what's worth the price to you?

Is getting 5 or 6 more points and missing the playoffs worth the price? Not to me.
Is squeaking into the playoffs worth the price? Not to me.

After watching this team for 50 years, the only thing worth the price is winning the Cup. All moves should be made with this goal in mind, not "let's make the playoffs to save my job". Is Miller going to be part of that? Not a chance, we're way too far away. He'll almost sure be gone before we're a contender.

YouNeedToBeInformed

Sep 23, 2019
Of course even if teams seem better on paper it doesn't always turn out but a couple of comments to what I was responding to.

Firstly, there are exceptions, yes. But if you are using outliers to tell somebody they are wrong. It should be reflective in my post. The teams you mentioned didn't add as much ON PAPER.

Generally teams on paper do infact get better. When you look at more than just additions. But likely decreases in production. When you consider that rookies don't actually make much impact, despite how good they may look, etc

But generally speaking, teams that improve more on paper, do usually increase more in standings vs teams that did not.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
If he plays like this all the time then he’s way better than advertised

YouNeedToBeInformed

Sep 23, 2019

There have been people saying that San Jose is weaker this year due to the loss of Pavelski, that's a gain for Dallas right?

I think many people would be very surprised if San Jose wasn't one of the top 3 teams in the pacific despite their slow start, they have the roster and track record to be pretty reliable as a playoff team for this year.

Although he is 35 but doesn't rely on speed for his game so the future of that deal is still out there but this season it's pretty reasonable that he scores 20 plus goals.

Dallas also lost some close games early and actually played pretty well in the limited time I saw them play.

Also there Big 3 on the back end , with emerging Norris contender Heiskanen, Klingberg who missed 18 games last year and Lindell is going to carry the stars a long way.

The star had 93 points last year and Benn wasn't even having a very good year with 53 points, Pavelski will take off some of that burden as well Hintz who is only 22 is building off his strong playoff last year leading the team in scoring so far.

Also that 5% PP is going to get better right?

The black Hawks also got better by adding 2 veteran Dmen in Matta and de Hann, along with getting Lehner, because of the problems Crawford had healthwise last year.

They also are going to have a full season of Strome who has chemistry with the emerging DeBrincat and adding some good experience with Zach Smith and getting Shaw back.

They were one of my 3 sleeper teams (along with Buffalo and Edmonton) going into the season but they have had a poor start to be sure and part of that is their PK which is at 60% right now something that will change, along with Captain Canada being held pointless in his first 3 games.

Arizona has a solid hard working team and I think they will be in the mix for a playoff spot as well.

Hjalmarsson would be a problem is he was a top 4 Dman but he is their 6th Dman and early 30's for guys like Demers and Goligoski isn't a huge problem really.

The Yotes have lost 3 games by one goal and already have an impressive win over Vegas as well.

I'm sure many of the Canucks who are currently in a funk can play better but given their esy schedule so far and coming up in the next 5 games, they need to find their games really fast or it's going to be an uphill battle IMO.

I didn't debate San Jose, theyre one of the better teams in the conference. They will finish higher than us without a doubt, subtractions or not.

Yes it would be reasonable to still predict he puts up some numbers but you can't ignore the decreases when talking about additions these teams made. 15 pt decrease on another player and that addition they made, or that trade they made is a wash. Canucks don't have a ton of players expected to decline. Based on being a young team who has been bottoming out for years. Their core is all super young.

Dallas is going to surprise a lot of people this year, not in a good way. Good thing I bet on them to lose today against Buffalo.

Those guys Hawks added are nothing. Look at who you are pointing to for increases and then factor in the guys who are likely to take a step back. and sit there and honestly tell me, you think these guys improved more than Canucks. It's too common that fans are overly optimistic or overly pessimistic when it comes to their team. Its possible Canucks might underwhelm this season, but if you were a betting man, the stats would indicate that the Canucks should take a further step forward than these teams. You can trust your reasoning but again, it just seemed like your post suggested it should be obvious. When i'd say your opinion is going against the grain, against the stats.

But to stay on topic. Miller has been a beaut and one of my fav players on the team. He wins just about every puck battle and if Pettersson and Boeser were on their game. Or even Horvat for that matter, those lines would be dominating. He's a player you can trust to win the battle and get it to you. And that is so rare on this team

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Disagree, draft picks years are out are still seen in a more positive light at the draft. It's human nature. Seeing kids like Hughes and Kakko get drafted would naturally make bubble team GMs wistful about the idea of landing players like them as lottery picks. That wistfulness doesn't exist in the thick of a playoff race.

Agree to disagree here. Future year's draft picks hold no special value at draft time. I think most GMs don't look forward to drafting in the lottery 2 years out and so there is no "wistfulness" about it.

The proportionate risk is high because of where the Canucks are. I generally think you have a good take on this, even if I don't fully agree, but think you're missing that piece.

Let's say there's a 4% chance that the Canucks give up a lottery pick and/or a elite player better than JT Miller for the next 15 years between either the 2020 or 2021 draft pick.

That's factually not a very big number. But the Canucks are imo, as an organization, at a point where they need to be shooting for the stars, lest they become the 2010s Minnesota Wild ie. mediocre. I'm very much considering the thought they finish 16-18, and that it is more likely to happen with Miller than without. I don't think that's a good thing at all.

That shoot for the stars stuff isn't relevant to the calculation of calculated risk. The Canucks are betting on making the playoffs over the next two years with Miller. So I think the the trade should be assessed based on the odds of where that pick ends up and that picks value vis a vis Miller. JT Miller is 2 years older than Horvat.

Of course not. But the contribution window for that 1st round pick is not two years, nor did we acquire JT Miller at half of his market value.

I think this is a closer analogy: if you were offered a call option on some upcoming new stock (call it Beyond Meat or whatever) that inherently doesn't hold the same value as Amazon today, but may have a higher upside ultimately, not even taking into account Amazon's catastrophic loss scenario. This new stock, the pick in terms of this trade, may inherently be worth more, not because of a catastrophic loss on Amazon (which would be like JT Miller's career taking a nosedive or ending due to injury), but an unprecedented gain in value on the call options for this new stock. This would be like that pick winning the lottery or being used to draft a Giroux/Pastrnak/E. Karlsson/etc. level player in the middle of the first.

Now this is priced out by the market, so theoretically, your dollars are going towards either Amazon stock today, at market prices, or a call option, expiring two years from now, with a vesting period of three years on a new upcoming stock. Could the latter bust? Yes, it most likely will NOT be as valuable as Amazon.

But that's where we need to look at this organization's "investor" profile. Are we looking for something that will hold value, have some appreciation and pay a decent dividend? Or are we a venture capital looking for that next boom, regardless of how many busts we need to sift through?

My argument is simply that we are closer to a venture capital/private equity investor profile than a defined benefit pension fund.

Apologies if that's getting too into the finance weeds lmao.

I think you're arguing separate things. Your catastrophic situation isn't that Miller is going to bust but that pick will end up being the 1st overall pick. But using your analogy, you also have to consider the chances of that call option being more profitable than investing the money elsewhere right now. For example, Beyond Meat's stock is expensive compared to Amazon from an investing point of view. Sure there may be more upside with Beyond Meat but you're gambling and not value investing.

The Blues are the best example in favor of your argument - the O'Reilly trade in particular. That looked like it would be a catastrophic loss scenario in December.

I agree though, of course there is a value to the surety that a good, established player on a long term contract provides. Miller is a steady, still growing, consistent dividend providing stock.

Agreed.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017

Is getting 5 or 6 more points and missing the playoffs worth the price? Not to me.

After watching this team for 50 years, the only thing worth the price is winning the Cup. All moves should be made with this goal in mind, not "let's make the playoffs to save my job". Is Miller going to be part of that? Not a chance, we're way too far away. He'll almost sure be gone before we're a contender.

U need to be able to make the playoffs before u can win the cup bud

Green Blank Stare

Drance approved coach
May 16, 2019

He's been their best player and he's only 26. If that's too old to be part of a Cup contending team, then most likely none of the players on this squad will ever be part of one in Vancouver.

Horvat's 24; Boeser's 22; Petey's about to turn 21. You're making it sound like they traded for a 33 year old or that the pick they gave up is gonna turn into the next McDavid.

Both 8th seeds won their first round matchups last season so I'd say that'd be a pretty good starting point for a team that hasn't made the playoffs in five years. Walk before you run.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
That shoot for the stars stuff isn't relevant to the calculation of calculated risk. The Canucks are betting on making the playoffs over the next two years with Miller. So I think the the trade should be assessed based on the odds of where that pick ends up and that picks value vis a vis Miller. JT Miller is 2 years older than Horvat.

I'll just agree to disagree here. You can't just completely dismiss either extreme outcome just because it is unlikely. It has to factor in, especially if you don't ignore the lifecycle of the organization.

I think you're arguing separate things. Your catastrophic situation isn't that Miller is going to bust but that pick will end up being the 1st overall pick.

No, I was simply saying that I don't agree with your Amazon bankruptcy scenario being analogous to the Canucks 2021 1st rounder being 1st overall. That's analogous to JT Miller's career ending; we know it will happen at some point. There's a miniscule chance, but non-zero chance that it is next year, but his value proposition, much like Amazon's, is not infinite. That's the downward catastrophic scenario.

The other catastrophic (upward) scenario is not holding onto the 1st / buying the Beyond Meat call, and having that stock skyrocket in value in two years past Amazon and into the trillions. Of course, that's either the pick being a lottery winner, or a mid-round first turning into a Karlsson level player. Small chance it happens (with the relative chance being very much accounted for in the market price), but not impossible.

But using your analogy, you also have to consider the chances of that call option being more profitable than investing the money elsewhere right now. For example, Beyond Meat's stock is expensive compared to Amazon from an investing point of view. Sure there may be more upside with Beyond Meat but you're gambling and not value investing.

Oh, agreed 100%. If we're really digging into this analogy; absolutely, there definitely may be a better allocation of resources than just keeping that first round pick / buying the Beyond Meat call. I like the analogy, because for sure, 1st round picks are often overvalued, and if you can cash in for another value asset(s) (whether it be Tyson Barrie or picking up two second rounders in this years draft by trading that 2021 first to LA for the picks they used to select Kaliyev and Fagemo, two highly ranked potato GM prospects), that's even better.

I think we're very much in agreement on the similarity of this and other trades to the market, so again, it comes down to; does this "investment" (trade) fit our organizational thesis? I think it does not. But I do think that it is a reasonable move otherwise, and if our organizational thesis changes, it could end up being a good "investment" (trade).

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
Been happily impressed with Miller.... he and Pearson have been our best players so far.

I like what both add to our top 6. I don't know about best players but they are such a breath of fresh air having guys that like to battle like that. We had such a butter soft lineup for so many years.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
Jt miller is a beast. he hits he scores and is so versatile. digging pucks out and he wins 90 percent of the time. front net presence on the pp helps. giving the first rounder is worth it right now. he's so smart and him on the 2nd line alongside petey and boeser even the latter 2 hasnt done much in terms of production. hes becoming my favourite player atm.

Reactions: F A N

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I'll just agree to disagree here. You can't just completely dismiss either extreme outcome just because it is unlikely. It has to factor in, especially if you don't ignore the lifecycle of the organization.

No, I was simply saying that I don't agree with your Amazon bankruptcy scenario being analogous to the Canucks 2021 1st rounder being 1st overall. That's analogous to JT Miller's career ending; we know it will happen at some point. There's a miniscule chance, but non-zero chance that it is next year, but his value proposition, much like Amazon's, is not infinite. That's the downward catastrophic scenario.

The other catastrophic (upward) scenario is not holding onto the 1st / buying the Beyond Meat call, and having that stock skyrocket in value in two years past Amazon and into the trillions. Of course, that's either the pick being a lottery winner, or a mid-round first turning into a Karlsson level player. Small chance it happens (with the relative chance being very much accounted for in the market price), but not impossible.

We'll have to agree to disagree but I just wanted to address the point above. My Amazon bankruptcy analogy is simply to illustrate the point that just because you're buying into something with a risk for a catastrophic outcome doesn't mean it is a bad investment at this time. The chance of Amazon going bankrupt anytime soon is very slim. As for your venture capitalist argument the chance of you hitting gold with your call option is also very slim.

The point is that when you are evaluating a decision or in this case a trade, you should ideally evaluate the trade based on the information the decision makers possessed. Failing that, fans should evaluate the trade based on the information us fans possess. Any team can miss the playoffs and win the lottery. That doesn't make it likely. The chances of a team winning the lottery is very slim. The odds get worse when you're betting on the Canucks missing the playoffs this year and then winning the lottery next year despite the addition of Miller. I think you're simply ignoring the odds here.

The previous start of the season, most here were of the opinion that the Canucks were 2-3 years away from making the playoffs. I am not sure what your prediction was. The question after last season was whether Pettersson's emergence had sped things up. What happened between beginning of last season and this past draft that would have made fans extend their timeline? Petey? Markstrom emerging as a #1 C? Quinn Hughes? If the timeline is not extended, most of us sticking to our prediction from the beginning of last season would have the Canucks making the playoffs in the next 1-2 years. That's basically the timeline the Canucks are betting on with the Miller trade.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Jt miller is a beast. he hits he scores and is so versatile. digging pucks out and he wins 90 percent of the time. front net presence on the pp helps. giving the first rounder is worth it right now. he's so smart and him on the 2nd line alongside petey and boeser even the latter 2 hasnt done much in terms of production. hes becoming my favourite player atm.

I obviously don't expect Miller to score at his current pace, but I think he showed Canucks fans just what a good player he is/can be. He had a down year last season, but he's been a 22-23 goal 55+ point player 2 out of the 3 seasons.

Reactions: David71

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
I obviously don't expect Miller to score at his current pace, but I think he showed Canucks fans just what a good player he is/can be. He had a down year last season, but he's been a 22-23 goal 55+ point player 2 out of the 3 seasons.

he's so smart, plus i think he can hit 25goals 60 pt player again. in tampa last year he wasnt on the top two lines. 2015/2016 playing the full 82 games he was a 47 pt player and 56 pt respectively. but during his tenure in new york, hitting the 20goal mark. so its without a doubt he can clearly hit that again and maybe surpass it with PP time.

Green Blank Stare

Drance approved coach
May 16, 2019
I can't believe the discussion that's going on in this thread amidst the start Miller is having with this team, and the positive impact he's having. Can't you guys just enjoy a good thing? Dear lord....
It would mean giving Benning credit for what right now looks like a very good move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad