What Do We Expect From Dougie Hamilton This Year?

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Seriously!

It drives me crazy that some people think it would be a good idea to send him to the AHL. I mean, I realize the dilemma we have with Krug, Bart and Dougie all looking good and there only being two starting spots, but c'mon! Dougie established himself as an NHL defenseman as a rookie, and didn't look a bit out of place in the top 4 for the bulk of the season. But now we should send him down in his 2nd year? It makes literally zero sense. Dougie needs to continue to face NHL competition if he we want to develop him properly.

Playing time, and confidence.

I don't think it's a coincidence Krug came up and scooted right into the line up with little problems. Dougie needs to develop by playing. (Similar to a lot of young players, like Seguin, Caron-while he was still a teenager).

I think even a good month or two stint in the AHL as a #1 defenseman down there certainly wouldn't do his mental game any harm.

While I agree with your last statement, if he is getting outplayed by Krug, and isn't ready for a top 4 role in the NHL, playing top 2 in the AHL could also be beneficial.

Also for what it's worth, when was the last time the Bruins drafted and developed a defenseman? Pre-2004 lock out?

Caper Bruins fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
Yep, love Bart`s turn/retrieve and distribute skills. I was clearly watching a different game yesterday as many here suggested he didn`t play well. While I don`t think it was the best he`s played, for a guy who`s had way too much time off between game situations, he played perfectly fine.

Gonna say it, I`ll get slammed for it, Krug is the new golden boy here, and I think that what Hamilton/Bart do is judged based on comparison to Krug, all 3 have different skills with some similarities, all 3 have excellent mobility, and I think all 3 should be judged on their individual games rather than being compared to one another.

I really have liked that DH has initiated contact in this young season and he hasn`t been bounced off pucks nearly as often, Krug`s ability to jump into the play and act like a 4th forward, and strong defensive positioning has been a huge bonus, and Bart is also mobile, if less offensively gifted than Krug...all 3 are fun to watch for a fan who`s so tired of watching the pass festival between defenseman for years here
Bartkowski's skill set was clearly evident in the last game but in my opinion, he didn't have a good game,understandable considering he hasn't been playing. I think I would go back to Hamilton against Detroit. Bartkowski will get his share of games this year, it is unfortunate that someone has to sit at the moment but I think it is only temporary.

bearit

Mar 8, 2011
Just wondering if any of u posters no what Hamilton is tipping the scales at to open the season. I see lots of different numbers i just don't know which one to believe. He has acknowledged he needs to bulk up a little, i'm just curious if he is doing something about it.

kytem2

Nov 18, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
My prediction is that Hamilton will be ridden out of town / traded...he is just not that good, see recent first rounders:

Seguin - 2010
Caron - 2009
Colborne - 2008
Hamill - 2007
Kessel - 2006
Lashoff - 2005

bearit

Mar 8, 2011
My prediction is that Hamilton will be ridden out of town / traded...he is just not that good, see recent first rounders:

Seguin - 2010
Caron - 2009
Colborne - 2008
Hamill - 2007
Kessel - 2006
Lashoff - 2005

Can't agree with u at all on this. He had a real good showing in his rookie year and he's a d man. The bruins have some real good young players with a lot more experience than him so he may have to wait to be a full timer. He looks like a blue chip D man to me.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

Seguin - 2010
Caron - 2009
Colborne - 2008
Hamill - 2007
Kessel - 2006
Lashoff - 2005

Little to argue that the Bruins first rounders, outside of the gimmies, have been weak picks, 2nd and beyond have been solid but can`t agree with ya on this one.

Kessel wanted the $$ for a one dimensional game, no need to get into the Seguin thing.

Every article/vid I have watched/read about Dougie is he`s coachable and is a sponge when it comes to listening to his coaches/teammates.

This organization demands it`s players conduct themselves in a certain way, and play a certain style, when you don`t, your gone, case closed, first rounder or otherwise.

Buckets and Gloves

klaatu barada nikto
Aug 14, 2011
Yeah Reilly is the latest leaf guaranteed NHL super star prospect. Just like so many before him.

Convery, Jonsson, Cereda, Pogge, Tlusty, Colborne, Schenn, Hayes, Blacker, McKegg, Biggs... numerous leaf fans assured me that they all were going to be NHL stars.

If we want to go further... bring up the Antropovs, Ponikarovsky, Kulemin ("consistent" 30 goal scorer :naughty:), Grabovski (another "consistent" 30 goal scorer), Mr "on pace" Bozak (60+ point potential), Gunnarsson a top 2 D with 40 point potential and everyone's favourite Ian "future norris winner" White.... list goes on and on and on...

It's a shame, lots of smart intelligent guys on the TO board but they all get completly drowned out from the leagues upon leagues of dogmatic kool aid drinking zealots

Neely2005

Nov 3, 2006
Toronto, Ontario
If we want to go further... bring up the Antropovs, Ponikarovsky, Kulemin ("consistent" 30 goal scorer :naughty:), Grabovski (another "consistent" 30 goal scorer), Mr "on pace" Bozak (60+ point potential), Gunnarsson a top 2 D with 40 point potential and everyone's favourite Ian "future norris winner" White.... list goes on and on and on...

It's a shame, lots of smart intelligent guys on the TO board but they all get completly drowned out from the leagues upon leagues of dogmatic kool aid drinking zealots

Don't forget Jonas the Monster Gustavsson.
:)

qc

Aug 23, 2011
He needs to be playing regularly unless poor play warrants a scratch. He's still a young developing player, and it's not wise to mess with his confidence. "You haven't done anything wrong Doug, but you aren't playing tonight"... I don't like it.

I know Bart deserves a look and whatnot, but Hamilton shouldn't be the odd-man out by default.

Buckets and Gloves

klaatu barada nikto
Aug 14, 2011
He needs to be playing regularly unless poor play warrants a scratch. He's still a young developing player, and it's not wise to mess with his confidence. "You haven't done anything wrong Doug, but you aren't playing tonight"... I don't like it.

I know Bart deserves a look and whatnot, but Hamilton shouldn't be the odd-man out by default.

Totally agree.

Quaider has been our worst D, he should be sitting, not DOugie.

Buckets and Gloves

klaatu barada nikto
Aug 14, 2011
Boychuk moved by November I`ll wager

That ought to start a war here:)

Really??

Johnny B is a solid #3 and good contract... better be a damn fine return.

Would like to keep him for at least this year and re-evaluate come offseason (see how season goes, who steps up... ect...) before I am shipping out Manchuck

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Playing time, and confidence.

I don't think it's a coincidence Krug came up and scooted right into the line up with little problems. Dougie needs to develop by playing. (Similar to a lot of young players, like Seguin, Caron-while he was still a teenager).

I think even a good month or two stint in the AHL as a #1 defenseman down there certainly wouldn't do his mental game any harm.

While I agree with your last statement, if he is getting outplayed by Krug, and isn't ready for a top 4 role in the NHL, playing top 2 in the AHL could also be beneficial.

Also for what it's worth, when was the last time the Bruins drafted and developed a defenseman? Pre-2004 lock out?

May not be a popular opinion, but:
1) He's ready for a top-4 position right now on THIS team.
2) He has NOT been outplayed by Torey Krug.

I'm encouraged by his play and I am disappointed that he is sitting right now.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005

I agree , Dougie should have spent the long weekend in the AHL instead of the press box, we'll see how Thursday's lineup pans out

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta

I agree.

I think Krug has earned more trust in Julien's eyes from the playoffs last season and his early play this season. I think Dougie sat because Julien wanted to see Bartkowski play and didn't want a young guy sitting for long and it wasn't because of anything Dougie did or didn't do on the ice.

I think his potential is immense and his defensive game is getting better and better. He is definitely ready for a top 4 role - something that Bartkowski isn't ready for from my viewings of him.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
I agree.

I think Krug has earned more trust in Julien's eyes from the playoffs last season and his early play this season. I think Dougie sat because Julien wanted to see Bartkowski play and didn't want a young guy sitting for long and it wasn't because of anything Dougie did or didn't do on the ice.

I think his potential is immense and his defensive game is getting better and better. He is definitely ready for a top 4 role - something that Bartkowski isn't ready for from my viewings of him.

Barts going to be an awesome Dman just like Dougie. We need both of them in the lineup.

TMac21

Save us Sweeney
May 21, 2003
I've expected him to play more! And if Bart is going to play over him, at least put him on the powerplay.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Hamilton has had an excellent season despite being sat out for two. Great goal tonight, his shot isn't the most powerful but it always gets through the pile and onto the net, very accurate. Extremely talented, especially at 20 years old. Not many defensemen in this league at 20 years old period, let alone effective. He's got a really good future, and a real good start.

Pietrangelo and Karlsson were around his age in their rookie/sophomore seasons. Not making comparisons in any way, but defensemen take a really long time to develop and break out. The best years are still quite a while away.

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
I still believe we need another top 4 - for the big run.

But Dougie will be a very good D.

I have some issu though with Bart's playmaking decisions.

I agree Hamilton will be a very solid player for the Bruins; I also agree with you on Bart his decision making is very questionable and slow . I am not convinced he will be a soild contributor, the 7th Dman is what he is at present

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad