What Do We Expect From Dougie Hamilton This Year?

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Id love to see him in Providence for awhile but it probably wont happen.

I think the Bruins carry 7 D on the team and sit Chara / Seidenberg every once in awhile (more so Seidenberg) to keep them fresh for the postseason. Id be fine with that.

After a year at the NHL level, what good would a year in Providence do?

HuskyBruinPride

Aug 1, 2011
After a year at the NHL level, what good would a year in Providence do?
Seriously!

It drives me crazy that some people think it would be a good idea to send him to the AHL. I mean, I realize the dilemma we have with Krug, Bart and Dougie all looking good and there only being two starting spots, but c'mon! Dougie established himself as an NHL defenseman as a rookie, and didn't look a bit out of place in the top 4 for the bulk of the season. But now we should send him down in his 2nd year? It makes literally zero sense. Dougie needs to continue to face NHL competition if he we want to develop him properly.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Well from reading the Thread about him on the Poll Board we shouldn't be expecting much at all!

:laugh:

:rolleyes: Leafs fans can be pretty ridiculous. Especially when it comes to justifying the Kessel trade.

They're all ******** on Hamilton for being sat in the playoffs (on one of the best defensive teams in the league) when it would not surprise me in the slightest if Rielly gets sent down again. Not sure what the excuse would be then, when Rielly who is supposedly better right now can't even play on the Leafs... Gardiner is some big-time stud Dman now, I can't count how many games he was benched.

Just stay away from it, no use trying to fight them. Way too many on this board, you'll never win.

nycpunk1

Jan 9, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
The main argument for sending Hamilton to Providence seems to have two parts:

1) Hamilton struggled with fatigue last year with 80 games in front of him in the current season; and
2) Bartkowski and Krug are ready to roll.

Doesn't #2 kind of negate #1? I mean, if you're worried about his ability to handle NHL speed or physical play, I can see sending him to Providence and calling him up a few times to get some NHL experience. But if you're talking about fatigue, why not just give him a rest every few games? You have the D-men to rotate the kids in and out without involving I-95.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston

1) Hamilton struggled with fatigue last year with 80 games in front of him in the current season; and

Doesn't #2 kind of negate #1? I mean, if you're worried about his ability to handle NHL speed or physical play, I can see sending him to Providence and calling him up a few times to get some NHL experience. But if you're talking about fatigue, why not just give him a rest every few games? You have the D-men to rotate the kids in and out without involving I-95.

And this is just what they'll do. I think they'll keep the entire d-corps pretty fresh this season, we have plenty of guys who can step up. Give Chara/Seids some games off towards the end of the season, keep the kids fresh, no struggle at all if anyone not named Chara gets injured.

Also, for Dougie, it's no surprise he showed fatigue... He played more than half of the OHL schedule, then came over and play a jam-packed condensed schedule until May. He played more hockey than maybe anyone last year. If that was him showing fatigue, we're in for some good stuff.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
And this is just what they'll do. I think they'll keep the entire d-corps pretty fresh this season, we have plenty of guys who can step up. Give Chara/Seids some games off towards the end of the season, keep the kids fresh, no struggle at all if anyone not named Chara gets injured.

Also, for Dougie, it's no surprise he showed fatigue... He played more than half of the OHL schedule, then came over and play a jam-packed condensed schedule until May. He played more hockey than maybe anyone last year. If that was him showing fatigue, we're in for some good stuff.

and was on team Canada`s WJHC team...I recall Julien commenting when he sat him the B`s brass expecting that fatigue to hit

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Seidenberg contract was stupid. Bart krug and hamilton should be playing together. Im a damn broken record

Totally disagree, far from stupid, but I`d rather Quaider take a seat and watch a transition game with the trio of younger players take off

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Totally disagree, far from stupid, but I`d rather Quaider take a seat and watch a transition game with the trio of younger players take off

I just like Quaid bc I feel we need a few goons in the lineup. I also think Spooner should be up here making plays for the b`s. He and Ericcson had some good chemisty on the ice. Old and Reliable just aint gonna get it done this year. Gotta play the youth.

Last edited:

Neely2005

Nov 3, 2006
Toronto, Ontario

Between all the games that Hamilton played in the OHL, World Juniors and the NHL, just how many games do you think that he played last season?

Neely2005

Nov 3, 2006
Toronto, Ontario
:rolleyes: Leafs fans can be pretty ridiculous. Especially when it comes to justifying the Kessel trade.

They're all ******** on Hamilton for being sat in the playoffs (on one of the best defensive teams in the league) when it would not surprise me in the slightest if Rielly gets sent down again. Not sure what the excuse would be then, when Rielly who is supposedly better right now can't even play on the Leafs... Gardiner is some big-time stud Dman now, I can't count how many games he was benched.

Just stay away from it, no use trying to fight them. Way too many on this board, you'll never win.

Agreed, I just find them amusing. They're definitely the biggest homers!

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
Hamiltons looked pretty good to me. Showing signs of improvement. Hopefully they can find a way to work Bart in, but I don't want to see that at the expense of Hamilton.

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
Well from reading the Thread about him on the Poll Board we shouldn't be expecting much at all!

:laugh:

They literally have a pre-programmed response about him being benched in the playoffs so he must suck (as mentioned Dellstrom, Jake Gardiner has been scratched how many times? And he's not 19, yet they still all believe in the Gards) and something about lack of intelligence.

Last edited:

Caper Bruins fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
I think Dougie will benefit from having Krug on the team for a full season.Krug will likely do very well offensively and perhaps take some pressure off Hamilton to produce.Dougie should relax and concentrate on his own zone.

Caper Bruins fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton

I have to say I agree and I actually like McQuaid,but the little I have seen of Bartowski suggests he has a very good skill set.There is nothing particularly wrong with playing McQuaid in the regular season but I know I am always focused on the ultimate prize,the Stanley Cup.The more mobility we have on the backend only improves our chances and while Chara,Seidenberg and Boychuk all have their own unique attributes, none are gifted skaters.

Neely2005

Nov 3, 2006
Toronto, Ontario
They literally have a pre-programmed response about him being benched in the playoffs so he must suck (as mentioned Dellstrom, Jake Gardiner has been scratched how many times? And he's not 19, yet they still all believe in the Gards) and something about lack of intelligence.

Yeah Reilly is the latest leaf guaranteed NHL super star prospect. Just like so many before him.

Convery, Jonsson, Cereda, Pogge, Tlusty, Colborne, Schenn, Hayes, Blacker, McKegg, Biggs... numerous leaf fans assured me that they all were going to be NHL stars.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I have to say I agree and I actually like McQuaid,but the little I have seen of Bartowski suggests he has a very good skill set.There is nothing particularly wrong with playing McQuaid in the regular season but I know I am always focused on the ultimate prize,the Stanley Cup.The more mobility we have on the backend only improves our chances and while Chara,Seidenberg and Boychuk all have their own unique attributes, none are gifted skaters.

Yep, love Bart`s turn/retrieve and distribute skills. I was clearly watching a different game yesterday as many here suggested he didn`t play well. While I don`t think it was the best he`s played, for a guy who`s had way too much time off between game situations, he played perfectly fine.

Gonna say it, I`ll get slammed for it, Krug is the new golden boy here, and I think that what Hamilton/Bart do is judged based on comparison to Krug, all 3 have different skills with some similarities, all 3 have excellent mobility, and I think all 3 should be judged on their individual games rather than being compared to one another.

I really have liked that DH has initiated contact in this young season and he hasn`t been bounced off pucks nearly as often, Krug`s ability to jump into the play and act like a 4th forward, and strong defensive positioning has been a huge bonus, and Bart is also mobile, if less offensively gifted than Krug...all 3 are fun to watch for a fan who`s so tired of watching the pass festival between defenseman for years here

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad