What Do We Expect From Dougie Hamilton This Year?

corpfan1

May 9, 2009
Etobicoke
Is there a chance he ends up in Providence? He looked really really good middle of last year and I thought if he continued to get ice time, he was top 3 on this D-core... but now things seem to be pushing him on the brink of making this team.

What's up with Dougie?

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Interestingly I haven't seen him much due to lack of streams and all that, seems like his spot is far less guaranteed than before and like Bill said, the D situation is much harder to pin point and therefor more intriguing than the forward situation

I think he'll slide in next to Seidenberg and Bartkowski will come in and out depending on the situation. The great thing is providence is literally 45 minutes down 93 so it's easy to call other D up as well, and at this point Hamilton, Krug, and Bart will all benefit just as much if not more from just staying with the team even if they aren't playing (plus that whole pesky one way contract thing ;) )

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Pretty sure Hamilton is playing nowhere but Boston. He had a very solid abbreviated year 1 (although hardly abbreviated for him). If anything, he exceeded my expectations. In spite of playing alongside Chara, I really thought we were going to see many more games where he appeared overwhelmed and it just didn`t happen. We saw a few games in a row on a few occasions. His poise with the puck for a teenager was tremendous, his vision and ability to get pucks through on the PP were refreshing, and not surprising, we saw him lose a bit of steam at the end of the year.

Kid is potentially special, Krug is the sexy guy right now on these boards in appears and that`s ok, he`s earned a ton of respect and kudo`s for his play. Hamilton will be just fine. I will not predict pts, I will predict we see a stronger and more comfortable DH this season, and the pts will follow

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
I think the B's would do him a favor by sending him to Providence. He could learn the pro game w/o worrying about mistakes.

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
20 minutes a night in the AHL until Bartkowski or Krug start playing poorly.
Still 20, no pressure there, big minutes would help him develop, still growing into his body. Play him on even strength, PP, and PK, let him use all his skills against a pro game.
Krug and Bart are like 23-24 and already decently seasoned. Sucks alot but that's sometimes how it is.

11MilesPerJohan

@BeingAHumanBean
Nov 8, 2011
McLean Hospital
Pretty sure Hamilton is playing nowhere but Boston. He had a very solid abbreviated year 1 (although hardly abbreviated for him). If anything, he exceeded my expectations. In spite of playing alongside Chara, I really thought we were going to see many more games where he appeared overwhelmed and it just didn`t happen. We saw a few games in a row on a few occasions. His poise with the puck for a teenager was tremendous, his vision and ability to get pucks through on the PP were refreshing, and not surprising, we saw him lose a bit of steam at the end of the year.

Kid is potentially special, Krug is the sexy guy right now on these boards in appears and that`s ok, he`s earned a ton of respect and kudo`s for his play. Hamilton will be just fine. I will not predict pts, I will predict we see a stronger and more comfortable DH this season, and the pts will follow

I agree wholeheartedly with this post, and I think the bolded is an important point to remember.

Not unexpectedly, he wore down, both mentally and physically, in his first NHL season. NHL vets had a hard time dealing with the grueling, condensed schedule last year, never mind a wet behind the ears kid, who had already played 32 games in juniors.

Based on the fact that he wore down and ultimately ended up being unseated by Bart and Krug, it's easy to forget how effective he was for the majority of the year. He did finish 3rd on the team for scoring by defenseman (16), behind only Chara (19) and Seids (17). More than that, he consistently made plays that indicated just how high of a ceiling he has. I also think that he did not often make the same mistake twice. It wasn't until later in the year, that we saw mistakes creep into his game more consistently.

Overall, I expect him to log more minutes in bigger situations, and make fewer mistakes. Points wise, I don't know, but I would bet he falls behind only Chara for Bruin's points by a defenseman this year.

I really hope to see him in Boston the full year. I don't have an issue with them keeping all three kids on the roster, and after Chara and Seids (maybe Boychuck) play the rest of the guys based on who's going well, match-ups, and maybe even give Chara a rest here and there (easier said than done, I know). Point is, I think you can find playing time for all 7 guys, if that is what they want to do.

bruinsfan001

Apr 2, 2010
Wasn't this discussed last season? The general consensus was that sending him down won't benefit him, he needs to continue playing at the NHL level if he wants to improve. I think thats why they kept him paired with Seidenberg so he could learn, but at the same time have a reliable vet to back him up.

don

Aug 31, 2002
Nashua, NH
I expect him to at least start in Prov. Bartkowski and Krug have played as good as him and they are older/more experienced. Some time spent in the AHL won't hurt him any. I'm going to modify his by saying he'll play the first gme and Krug will go down due to cap money but Krug will come right back up and Hamilton will go down afte Savard is put on LTIR.

Buckets and Gloves

klaatu barada nikto
Aug 14, 2011
I think the B's would do him a favor by sending him to Providence. He could learn the pro game w/o worrying about mistakes.

Still 20, no pressure there, big minutes would help him develop, still growing into his body. Play him on even strength, PP, and PK, let him use all his skills against a pro game.
Krug and Bart are like 23-24 and already decently seasoned. Sucks alot but that's sometimes how it is.

Don't get the logic here...

Hamilton looked fine in the NHL last year, but he should be demoted this year??

I think playing against the best will only make him better, having him play more minutes against weaker competition may hinder his development.

Buckets and Gloves

klaatu barada nikto
Aug 14, 2011
I agree wholeheartedly with this post, and I think the bolded is an important point to remember.

Not unexpectedly, he wore down, both mentally and physically, in his first NHL season. NHL vets had a hard time dealing with the grueling, condensed schedule last year, never mind a wet behind the ears kid, who had already played 32 games in juniors.

Based on the fact that he wore down and ultimately ended up being unseated by Bart and Krug, it's easy to forget how effective he was for the majority of the year. He did finish 3rd on the team for scoring by defenseman (16), behind only Chara (19) and Seids (17). More than that, he consistently made plays that indicated just how high of a ceiling he has. I also think that he did not often make the same mistake twice. It wasn't until later in the year, that we saw mistakes creep into his game more consistently.

Overall, I expect him to log more minutes in bigger situations, and make fewer mistakes. Points wise, I don't know, but I would bet he falls behind only Chara for Bruin's points by a defenseman this year.

I really hope to see him in Boston the full year. I don't have an issue with them keeping all three kids on the roster, and after Chara and Seids (maybe Boychuck) play the rest of the guys based on who's going well, match-ups, and maybe even give Chara a rest here and there (easier said than done, I know). Point is, I think you can find playing time for all 7 guys, if that is what they want to do.

Thinking fatigue for Hamilton had more to do with playing 32 OHL games, 12 or so world JR games overseas and 42 NHL games than it did with him adjusting to NHL... thinking he will be much better as he knows what to expect and won't be bouncing all over the world to play hockey wither.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

He played with the big boys last year, received plenty of minutes and outside of the normal periods where virtually every rookie stumbles a bit, the kid had a very strong freshman campaign...sending him to the AHL just isn`t logical with all due respect.

Can`t stress how much the above scenario just isn`t nor should it happen

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
Hopefully he plays 20 minutes per night and isn't ruined by Claude's hatred of young skilled players. Bartkowski and Krug have a much, much lower ceiling than Dougie and it would be a waste to invest in them instead of the future #1 D.

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
Don't get the logic here...

Hamilton looked fine in the NHL last year, but he should be demoted this year??

I think playing against the best will only make him better, having him play more minutes against weaker competition may hinder his development.

I completely agree. I think him playing in the AHL will hurt him not help him. He faired quite well for a teenager playing against NHL competition. Why send him down at all. I think not only would it hurt his morale and confidence, but when you play with better players and against better players, with the talent and intelligence Dougie has you inevitably get better.

You don't make room for Krug or Bartkowski at the expense of Hamiliton. You make room for Hamilton at the expense of Krug and Bartkowski.

Paddington

Mar 8, 2011
Toronto
I think Dougie has really flown under the radar during training camp, which is a good thing in my opinion. He was a top 10 first round pick and people wanted to see what the final piece of the Kessel trade looked like. That anticipation and the high expectations have subsided and now there seems to be a little less pressure on the kid.

Does anybody know what his offseason training looked like? Was he asked to bulk up a bit? If so, how did that work out?

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
I'm predicting a season simliar to that of Zach Bogosian's second year; about 20 points and 20 minutes per game. Still some mistakes, but showing glimpses of his ceiling.

MrKabukiman

Ne pas plonger!
Nov 12, 2007
Mass.
Id love to see him in Providence for awhile but it probably wont happen.

I think the Bruins carry 7 D on the team and sit Chara / Seidenberg every once in awhile (more so Seidenberg) to keep them fresh for the postseason. Id be fine with that.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Id love to see him in Providence for awhile but it probably wont happen.

I think the Bruins carry 7 D on the team and sit Chara / Seidenberg every once in awhile (more so Seidenberg) to keep them fresh for the postseason. Id be fine with that.

Sooner or later injuries will take care of this problem,until then he has to play his way off.

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
I personally think this is his breakout year, he had 5 goals, 11 assists in 42 games last season.

I am going with 11 goals, 28 assists for 39 points.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
He won't be in Providence. He's a righty, we need a righty.

He got the most trust from any rookie I've ever seen under Claude last year. He trusts him and he had a great year last year, especially considering his age. He was the youngest defenseman in the NHL, IIRC.

He said he got stronger, has looked great in camp/preseason, and has a years experience in a completely hectic year. He's too important to our future to put in providence right now, and he played like a solid top 4 defenseman almost every game he played... He improves the team now. I think he'll have a great season and be a key contributor to the pp. 10 goals, 20 assists, along with becoming much more solid defensively and physically.

qc

Aug 23, 2011
Please be sarcasm...please be sarcasm...

:laugh:

No, he's sincere. If something goes wrong, or falls slightly below expectations, then it must be Claude's fault. I enjoy CB nonetheless, he's one of the pioneering Loui-lovers on here; but his Claude takes are garb.

HuskyBruinPride

Aug 1, 2011
I'm predicting a season simliar to that of Zach Bogosian's second year; about 20 points and 20 minutes per game. Still some mistakes, but showing glimpses of his ceiling.
He had 16 points in the shortened season last year as a rookie (was on pace for ~30), so that would actually be a step backwards. I see him coming closer to 40 points this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad